• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Theft proofing the APEX? After near theft....

ApexerER

Expert
Obviously it is impossible to make a sled completely theft proof but I am wondering it there are anything you guys do to prevent theft. I was in Canada (St Donat) this weekend and I am very lucky to still have my sled. It was about 3 am and my buddy I was staying with just happened to get out of bed to go to the bathroom just before my sled started outside the hotel room. He was about a step away from the door and had the door open and screaming at the the guy about a 1/2 second after my sled started. Since my sled was only running for a second when the thief hit the gas my sled stalled and he jumped off of it an ran away. We couldn't follow until we got dressed since it was snowing like crazy and about 10 degrees outside so we got dressed and met the motel owner outside who was awoken from us screaming and the commotion and we followed his prints around the back of the motel and out to where a car looked like it was waiting for him. When inspecting my sled it looks as though they screwed a slide hammer into my ignition and pulled my whole lock cylinder apart and started my sled with a screwdriver. The cops did basically nothing and I am very lucky to have to still have my sled. If nature hadn't called on my buddy that extra 5 or 10 seconds the thief would have had would have been all that was needed to not have my sled stall. So I am wondering what do you guys do to prevent theft. If it is that easy to destroy the ignitions switch I might as well leave my key in the sled and save the damage. I was thinking I could chain the sled up and pull the fuel pump relay or ad another hidden kill switch so the sled won't start. Any other idea's.....

That sucks. Glad you stopped them.

Yamaha has a better fail safe than ski doo.

Any key fab starts any sled. Best thing to do is make sure and have insurance on the sled and park it in the trailer or where a camera is watching the sled.

Sucks people have to do that to other peoples stuff.

A hidden kill switch may work. This aside, the only other precautions are to stay @ a hotel w/secured sled storage, keep the sleds locked up in a trailer or as mentioned above, a serious lock & chain.
With sled theft as common as it is & for the many years this has been a problem, the cops must be part of the theft ring, seems they turn the other cheek when U.S. guys are ripped off. The sled theft problem is so prominent, it does prevent me from going up there as often as I'd like.

Hidden kill switch is your best bet! A lot of people will move their neutral kill switch to another location and throw in a toggle switch on it. Glad you can ride it for one more year. Another idea is to put some kind of steering lock rig on the sled or somehow make it so it is easy to take off your ski at night ;) hard to go anywhere if you can't steer. Hook up a tether to it and pull it when you go in at night and it will never fire until they hook the 2 ends together which would take 30 mins too long if you're a theif.

I agree, tether or hidden kill switch or power disconnect

I got the GPS tracker unit with the ignition kill function that is active from my cell phone. I can shut it down and find it if they get away. Hooking it up after Christmas. I got a discount on the insurance also for having it.

Yamadog said:
I got the GPS tracker unit with the ignition kill function that is active from my cell phone. I can shut it down and find it if they get away. Hooking it up after Christmas. I got a discount on the insurance also for having it.

That is awesome, where did you get it? Can you post a link?

I got it at my dealer they are for bikes but can be installed on the sled also. Its at my shop so I don't have it here and I forget the name. There are 100's on amazon from $76 on up some have vibration alarms with siren if the sled is touched or this one I can shut it off remotely and stop them in their tracks.

Was going to use it to prank people. Let them ride it 50' and shut it down tell them they broke it.

Sno Cat said:
With sled theft as common as it is & for the many years this has been a problem, the cops must be part of the theft ring, seems they turn the other cheek when U.S. guys are ripped off.

Really? I can't believe you said that!

Sasquatch said:
Sno Cat said:
With sled theft as common as it is & for the many years this has been a problem, the cops must be part of the theft ring, seems they turn the other cheek when U.S. guys are ripped off.

Really? I can't believe you said that!

No offense of course but the theft problem could be eliminated if law enforcement was more procative.

tomanytoyz said:
Have ins or have no sled..no worries. maybe someone can invent (The Club) for sleds?

Pick up a "disc lock" made for motorcycles and sleds.

All kinds here: http://www.royaldistributing.com/Catalo ... inter/#291

If you chain or cable lock two sleds together it makes it harder for thieves to load a sled on the back of a truck. Hopefully they are too lazy to bring bolt cutters.

Back