• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Thinking about studding my track, good idea?

sd5500

Expert
With some new snow on our groomed trails, I feel like I'm spinning a lot. As a result, it has me thinking about studding my track. Whats the minimum number of studs I can go with and still get a significant improvement hooking up? Will 96 do it?

Thecross said:
I stud all my sleds. Do it for the braking power if nothing else.

Ditto.

When you get to an icy hill, going up or down, you will be so happy you have studs.

Not to mention all the icy corners the studs will help on.

I think there are some nytro owners that only have 96 studs. I personally would run at least 120, if not 144, but 96 in the center belt would be a a heck of a lot better than none.

I studded 144 1.325 woody mega-bite down the center. What a diference. The sled brakes better. Hooks up better out of the hole and cornering was approved. I would high recommend. Only thing I would look at is I hear some talk about the back of the studs rubbing on the rear shock. Not quite sure what this is all about but I am looking into it.

SIKEWARD said:
I studded 144 1.325 woody mega-bite down the center. What a diference. The sled brakes better. Hooks up better out of the hole and cornering was approved. I would high recommend. Only thing I would look at is I hear some talk about the back of the studs rubbing on the rear shock. Not quite sure what this is all about but I am looking into it.

I heard that also.

Why only down the center?

I have 144 extreme maxx studs. I wouldnt go without it. I noticed that on icey terrain (i.e. lakes) and you let out of it at slower speeds without studs the sled tends to want to start sliding. now with the studs........ no problem. The only thing you will notice is cornering is a bit tougher. The rear of the sled wont "slide" like you're used to and isnt as easy to kick thru the corner.
All in all....... studs make the already super quick nytro.......accelerate even faster!!! I wouldnt recomend 96 or even 120. I'd go with a minimum of 144 because of all the torque that machine produces. just my $.02 worth.

I had a skidoo mach 1 that had 144 studs on the outside and while they did hold up pretty well I have one of two the tore the outside of the track. So on this sled assuming it has so much more power I didn't want to chance ripping the track. I also did not use any of the doubles. I didn't like the idea of added stress in one area like that. Thats just my thought I am sure others will say to stud the outside and use all doubles. But hey thats why we live in America. We can do as we please.

144 down the middle made a big differece in trail riding mutch better, now my top end is only 105mph and I realy need that 2 more mph. No brainer STUD IT :-o

280chopper said:
running 96, studs add wieght and rob hp so need to find a balance also rob top end
LETS RACE.............. I have 144 studs so i have probably a ton of extra weight. we could race where ever you would like. powder, trail, hard pack, ice.......etc etc. after i beat you WITHOUT A DOUBT in 3 out of 4 (powder is iffy) then we can figure out how much "robbed hp" i had. Then we can zip through the trails and as i peel away from you in the corners, i will stop and back up and help pull your sled down off the tree ur up against after you blew the corner (cuz you couldnt brake/slow down) trying to keep up to me.
ADDED WEIGHT AND SLOW???????? are you serious? :exc:
Is that like saying if i put wider tires on my sports car would be silly cuz they weigh more even tho i get more traction? OMG LMFAO!!!! :))

jeffT said:
280chopper said:
running 96, studs add wieght and rob hp so need to find a balance also rob top end
LETS RACE.............. I have 144 studs so i have probably a ton of extra weight. we could race where ever you would like. powder, trail, hard pack, ice.......etc etc. after i beat you WITHOUT A DOUBT in 3 out of 4 (powder is iffy) then we can figure out how much "robbed hp" i had. Then we can zip through the trails and as i peel away from you in the corners, i will stop and back up and help pull your sled down off the tree ur up against after you blew the corner (cuz you couldnt brake/slow down) trying to keep up to me.
ADDED WEIGHT AND SLOW???????? are you serious? :exc:
Is that like saying if i put wider tires on my sports car would be silly cuz they weigh more even tho i get more traction? OMG LMFAO!!!! :))

Its called ROTATION MASS.... so lets say you added 3-4lbs....physics says your actually adding 21 to 28lbs...and definatly on top end the more studs you run the slower you'll be (on top end only)

And yes wider tires on a car will slow you down on top end also its called drag and at 150mph theres lots of drag and tires are one of the worst....

this is exacly why I went with 114 studs with Plastic backer on my XTX...

P.S. I've hit 111mph on speedo (106mph GPS) stock

The added safety alone from studding is worth it. OK, you might be a little slower on the top end with studs, but how much time do you spend at all out. Plus getting to the top speed and coming back to a stop from any speed will be quicker with studs unless you are in fluff.

Daranello,
If you used stud boy plastic backers, you better check them. I studded 3 sleds with them and out of the 511 backers, only about 100 were not broken. They had a bad batch and I guess I got all mine from that batch.

Back