• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Thoughts on 2012 Yamaha Nytro XTX

Yes. Not hard when the skid and track are out. I used an angle grinder and CAREFULLY ground off the welds on the heat exchanger. I also installed an oft block off plate. I still notice ice buildup. Not as bad as before with the tunnel protectors in though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How hard is the track swap to do?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

The track swap is well documented here on TY. It saved my bacon! I like to tinker in the garage, but my skill is more suited to polishing my tunnel than wrenching, lol. I use decisions like a track swap to justify new tools though! To answer your question now, it wasn't too bad. I had removed my skid the season before to install the star suspension and reinstall for my very first time was much harder than the second time. The chain case parts seemed concerning, but that is where TY was awesome. I made mistakes, but doing it myself gave me a lot of confidence. It was the most rewarding sled project for me. If you have a chain fall, garage space and patience with a small amount of wrenching experience you can do it.

Just wondering what you guys think of the 2012 Nytro XTX. Upgrades? Cheap things to do to the sled?
Do the block off plate for sure! Unless you want to add 100 lbs of ice to your sled and carry around a hammer around to break out the ice every ride you go on. Trust me is worth it!!!

I do the same to my sled every year also. And when pay2play says a lot of elbow grease..........he's speaking the truth! I use mothers aluminum polish and I love that stuff. For a polisher I just use a buffer from advance auto I bought for 30$ makes it 10x faster and easier. Just don't get the Polish on the plastic parts kinda leaves a stain.

Got any pics of yours? I just bought the mothers mag and aluminum polish too

The track swap is well documented here on TY. It saved my bacon! I like to tinker in the garage, but my skill is more suited to polishing my tunnel than wrenching, lol. I use decisions like a track swap to justify new tools though! To answer your question now, it wasn't too bad. I had removed my skid the season before to install the star suspension and reinstall for my very first time was much harder than the second time. The chain case parts seemed concerning, but that is where TY was awesome. I made mistakes, but doing it myself gave me a lot of confidence. It was the most rewarding sled project for me. If you have a chain fall, garage space and patience with a small amount of wrenching experience you can do it.
How long does that tunnel stay shiny like that?

Sounds good when I'm ready to do it I'll look on here! Another question for you! Lol I just got the star kit in the mail and will be installing it shortly and honestly I can't wait! Does it really make that big of a difference in ride and the height the sled sits?

Do the block off plate for sure! Unless you want to add 100 lbs of ice to your sled and carry around a hammer around to break out the ice every ride you go on. Trust me is worth it!!!

Wait, block off plate even with out the under tunnel exhaust? Didn't know about that, sounds good. Does Yamaha sell them?

You just have the regular stock exhaust that comes out behind the seat?

Ok now I'm following you! Lol I took mine to a dealer because I didn't have a heated shop to do it in and they actually carried them in stock. Worth a shot calling a local yamaha dealer see if they have one. I think mine was a oft part but just Google search it and there are a ton of different brands to choose from.

I did the Star Suspension and dual tuner skis with Berstrom carbides (8 inch inner and 0 outer). I really like the handling now. Also, I have Rigid LED lights, wiring for heated visor and heated vest, and Mountaintech skid plate. The Nytro gets cold so I bought the large windshield. I had the side wind deflectors for the windshield but they caused a lot of turbulence. It was actually colder and the wind noise was annoying so I took them off. Things I would like to get: Yamaheater for the grip heaters, OFT relocator, and a WRP seat. Of course, all that stuff costs money and I've already put a grand or so into the sled. I also studded the track although in retrospect I could have left it stock.

Sounds good when I'm ready to do it I'll look on here! Another question for you! Lol I just got the star kit in the mail and will be installing it shortly and honestly I can't wait! Does it really make that big of a difference in ride and the height the sled sits?

Yes, to me it helped smooth out the sled. I had the skid shock modified by Robert also and bought the spring he suggested. The sag is still in my sled. I have never done anything to the rear shock or added hygear spacers. Also. While the skid is out, search the site for the limiter strap fix and double them up to prevent the common failure. I did this to mine last year and they still look great now. DuPont hyrax would also be recommended while the skid is out. Drilling out the screw and updating to the Doo style bolt worked for me when the screw threads were messed up when I changed them out last fall. Boy you have a lot of work ahead of you, lol!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I do! Lol I'll look up that limiter strap idea and funny thing you said that I'm throwing in a set of dupoint slides in too plus a vent kit from oft and a water temp gauge. I love doing it so I'm looking forward to it! Lol

Yeah I do! Lol I'll look up that limiter strap idea and funny thing you said that I'm throwing in a set of dupoint slides in too plus a vent kit from oft and a water temp gauge. I love doing it so I'm looking forward to it! Lol

The nytro is the perfect Sled for a person that likes to make mods. The list of things you can do is endless. There are so many was to set them up. I want it all out of my sled. Float in the Powder and rail on the trails. Still working on that, lol.

Back