• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Time to put her away. Opinion's on storage please.

Mikecam

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Hate to say it but after 2400 trouble free miles it's time to put her away till next season. Looking for opinion's on summer storage. Track, engine. tunnel, skid the whole works. Thanks for all the great info this year guys. Great site and great people. Till next year gents.

Top off the gas tank and use stabil and warm up completely. I would change the oil if you have over say 500 miles. Once cool spray engine down with either Silicon spray or WD-40. Spray the skid down with WD-40. Raise the rear, plug the exaust to keep out the moisture. Grease up all zerks until straight grease comes out. Apply some type of lube into all the front end ball joints you can get to and move the handle bars back and forth to work in the lube. I suggest using a product called 303 protectant on the seat and side covers. 303 was developed by the aeospace idustry to protect against UV rays. Consumer reports tested it along with Armour All, son of a gun just to name a few and 303 was the only product that didn't actually dry out the stuff it was suppose to protect. I also apply it to all hoses and cables under the hood.

Almost forgot about the battery..........I use a optimate charger; put it on and forget about it.
Cover the sled and let it get a good off season's rest ;)!

Darn the luck. Hope I can find this link in a couple months when I have to do this to mine. :tg:
The only good thing about the long Alaskan winters is owning my Yamaha.

Also...I have always left my gas cap(s) on my sleds loose when stored. I was always told pressure will/may build up and expand the tank which may cause it to burst/crack.

Mighty...the one thing you didnt mention is fogging the engine. I have always fogged my 2-strokes...how about the 4-strokes?

The manual recommends fogging the engine, and puting several shots of oil down the spark plug holes.

Pain in the "you-know-what" to remove the plugs, I think I must just fog the engine this year.

Must be lucky all I do is change oil, grease skid, add some seafoam in the gas tank fill it right up to the lip and close tight run it to get seafoam to the carbs start twice during the summer and let it get hot. Never had a problem so far.

The gas tanks are vented.
As far as fogging goes, IMHO I think that applies more to devices that are stored for the winter rather than summer. But it definately can't hurt.

i dont do any of that.

I just have a full gas tank and put the entire sled on casters, then i go start it once a month or once a month and a half. And dont tell me that starting it once a month or whatever is bad for it, because i dont care. I know many people that do this and nobody has had a problem, and until it gives me a problem then i will do something about it. My ways will not change.

SoCoRX1 said:
i dont do any of that.

I just have a full gas tank and put the entire sled on casters, then i go start it once a month or once a month and a half. And dont tell me that starting it once a month or whatever is bad for it, because i dont care. I know many people that do this and nobody has had a problem, and until it gives me a problem then i will do something about it. My ways will not change.
You forgot the na na, na na na.......

I have a optimate charger because of this site. Hey sled dog, your in Canada too, where to buy seafoam? I heard that sta-bil only sits on top of the gas making a barrier to the air where as the seafoam actually mixes with the gas. If that is correct can't see sta-bil helping the tiny fuel injectors out.
I always fogged my two stroke's but don't really want to with the apex as it means changing the plugs in the fall. Will do a oil change as well before summer. I also have a R1 and starting that in -30c weather (winter) is not the best so I'm used to letting them sit till I'm ready to use them again. Thanks for all the help guys, Bashley you really know how to make a new yama 4 stroke convert happy.LOL Oh well, only 2 months till the first race weekend with the R1.

I buy mine locally in a small auto parts store he is not a retail giant. Some others in Winnipeg have asked this also and they found a place to buy it. Will look for the post.

I just bought a new yamaha and only have 47 miles on it. Should I change the oil now or wait until spring? During engine break in dont you get tiny flaking? I'm new to all this and learning. Thanks guys. Also should we losen the track and take the spark plugs out or is it fine lifted the track off the ground and leaving the plugs in? I think those are the only questions I have now. The others were already answered.

You should change it. I did mine at 30 miles. There was a post on here about the oil going bad at the first hour. Do not let the old oil sit in the sled all summer. Combustion gases are corrosive. Also I wouldn't do the 300 mile oil change as in the manual. I didn't do mine. If your okay with track aligning and setting correct tension then it wouldn't hurt to loosen it off. I never did on my ski-doo and 11 years later oringinal track is A1 condition.

in canada you buy seafoam at uap/napa auto parts stores. it is the only place i have found it here in canada. seafaom and start once a month is all i am doing to mine. family has been doing it that way for 40 years and never have had a motor go that wasnt sunk in a lake or a creek.

Back