• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Time to put her away. Opinion's on storage please.

SoCoRX1 said:
i dont do any of that.

I just have a full gas tank and put the entire sled on casters, then i go start it once a month or once a month and a half. And dont tell me that starting it once a month or whatever is bad for it, because i dont care. I know many people that do this and nobody has had a problem, and until it gives me a problem then i will do something about it. My ways will not change.

Completely agree!!! Runing the motor pushes the oil through the entire motor. For gas treatment I rely on the fuel catalyst I placed in my tank (Fitch). Running the sled a couple times monthly moves the fuel through the floats and keeps the carbs clean. I also idle up the motor to turn the track a few revolutions to prevent flat spots on the idler wheels. The track, skid, and motor are completely siliconed. :die

SoCoRX1 said:
i dont do any of that.

I just have a full gas tank and put the entire sled on casters, then i go start it once a month or once a month and a half. And dont tell me that starting it once a month or whatever is bad for it, because i dont care. I know many people that do this and nobody has had a problem, and until it gives me a problem then i will do something about it. My ways will not change.
I agree. I put stabil in a full tank of gas and grease all the fittings and start the sleds on the first of the month every month and let them come up to operating temp. Also I spray metal protectant on everything in the skid and the front end.

Ah, vecRStor. forgot about that. WHen i start it, i jack the back up and get the track rotating, get the RPM's up. i try to do a couple bursts of wide open if i can to get the fuel and motor cycling.

I do what Mighty said with one difference, I siphon out the fuel and run it till its empty. But Seafoam will do the trick as well.

I have always kept my sleds running all year (2s or 4s) I have never had a sled with an engine problem to date. (now that I said that I should cross my fingers) What I do is Fill it, Wash it, wax it, Protect it (with 303) grease it, keep it in a cool dry dark place (Garage) and run it every couple of weeks. (so far so good) But if you have to store the sled outside or even in an enclosed trailer outside (non temperature/humidity controlled) do everything that Mighty said.

I have a question how can running a sled (until its warmed up) it the summer be any worst than running it (until its warmed up) in the winter?

I just discovered 303 protectant (Great stuff)

Usually i will fill my tank and add some Amsoil performance improver, it is basically the same as sea-foam but we have seen unbelievable, first hand results with this stuff. Several customers keep coming back and asking for more.
last year we started ours all the time, too try to keep the fuel flowing through the carbs. after fouling out 2 sets of plugs by the end of summer, i found out you have to let the mototr get to full operating temp. before shutting down and it was best suggested to me (by a very dependable resource) to not even start at all for the summer....... that, will probably not happen in my garage. lol..... start, let 'em get to temp. and enjoy the sound, then shut it down while reminissing on a great 2008 season!

Back