• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Timing my RX-1

Helgy

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
03 RX-1 Mountain MCX
So, I am reassembling my RX-1 engine, its brand new and I removed the head (in 2011) and put in the shim as per MC Express instructions and reinstalled it. I am ready to install the cams and want to make sure I have the engine timed properly I plan to line up the timing marks in the side cover, the dots on the timing gears, and the punch marks on the cams with the arrows on the caps. Is this all I need to do? I want to make sure that it will be timed correctly and fire properly. Do I need to check valve clearance, or will the stock new clearances be good? The shims in the lifters have not been touched or fiddled with.

Nobody? I need to get this thing out of my basement and into the mountains.

The top sticky in this forum has a detailed engine build post that will cover off your cam timing.

Without knowing how many miles are on your engine, the best answer I can give is 'maybe' WRT shimming the valves. Since the head is off, just re-install the cams on the bench and check them. It will take 20 minutes, and then you will know...

Thank you lakercr

The engine has 0 miles, it is a factory drop in. It is a complete engine. I plan to use the timing gear from the engine that blew up on me that has been slotted like MC Express suggests. The top sticky does not seem to be relevant to the RX-1.

Thanks so much, its what I needed and more, great job BTW!!

I've had brand New sleds in With valve clearance below spec and Your don't wanna have that in a turbo sled. Set valve clearance as Close to upper spec as possible for best performance and engine life.

What spec do you recommend? I still have the cover off.

Spec
Intake: 0.11-0.20 mm
Exhaust: 0.20-0.26mm

Set the clearance as Close to upper limit as possible.

rxrider said:
Spec
Intake: 0.11-0.20 mm
Exhaust: 0.20-0.26mm

Set the clearance as Close to upper limit as possible.

Do you still have a copy of the .xls for doing the valves? Helgy might find it helpful, and I'm not anywhere near my shop computer...

lakercr - Yes I have it, PM'ed you

Id love to have a look at that document, I am sure that I would find it helpful.

Back