• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

torn between 4 stroke and 2 stroke

bgraff1

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2015 270hp Yamaha Viper
so I have two sleds right now. I have a full custom built 2012 m800 162. it has SLP skis, SLP pipe/can/y-pipe, power commander, carbon fiber hood and full custom powder coating. its what I run in the hill right now. over the summer I picked up a 2015 viper xtx with a 141 x 1.6 track. also has a 270hp MCX kit on it. aside from that it is bone stock. im tossing around the idea of swapping in my 162 track/skid/tunnel, swap over the black a arms, SLP skis, carbon hood and the rest of the black plastic onto the viper and have a 162 270hp mountain sled. now 90% of my riding is in the trees where I don't need 270hp but I have ridden the old M1100 turbos around 280hp in the trees and I liked them. just not sure if im ready to commit to having only a 4s for the tree riding. the 141 was bough because it was a great deal and only 500km on it and I was going to use it for my at home sled, but I don't really ride around home. 1-2 times a year maybe. whats everybody's thoughts? I would turn this sled into a custom 270hp 162...
fwe_zpspxpvssja.jpg

I would go with it. Yes it will be heavier and take more effort to throw it around but you will have the power behind it to pull through anything. The power will be a lot more linear vs the 2 stroke which might help as well. I think it would make a great tree riding sled.

Not trying to discourage your plans but why don't you just throw a turbo on the 2s. That just seems like a lot of work. Believe me, I love working on my own stuff and ive already had to change out my chain case because I hit a rock so I understand what it takes just to change a track on one of these sleds. But you're talking about gears, track, tunnel swap, you're going to want a ROV for when she's upside down and everything you already mentioned hood, a-arms and skis. Personally I really like my viper but if I was in your shoes I would sell the Viper and buy a turbo for the 800. Just my $.02

Last edited:
the 800 was turbod with a 2871 cutler stage two. it had just a bit to much lag for my liking. when it lit it was crazy but was no good for trees (mainly what im into). I sold the turbo and went lightweight on the 800. now I have this viper 141 that I was going to use around home but I don't see me getting the use out of it and want to downgrade to one. the tunnel is toast on the viper so needs a new one regardless (got it super cheap, that's why I bought it). I have many parts for a MTX viper (gearing, clutches etc) so that's no issue, plus a whole second 270 mcx kit plus my 800 so trying to make a killer sled. if I could sell the second turbo and a bunch of other stuff id look into a carbon tunnel, lightweight skid, 16 front end, belt drive etc and could get it close to the weight of a stock 800, now were talking...

Hey mine was a 141 Xtx and now is a mtx 162 first year to try it out also 190 hp turbo

Attachments

• IMG_0266.PNG
    IMG_0266.PNG
    360.7 KB · Views: 185

Back