• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Track Adjustment

RichsApex3573

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2006 Yamaha Apex Attak
How would I go about tightening the track on my 2006 Attak? I don't have the owners manual but do have the stock tool kit.

Loosen the rear axle. 17mm and 19mm will be needed. Lift the rear in the air and thru a track window tighten the two 14mm nuts using a deep socket on the inside each rail.
Everyone has a difference of opinion on how tight the track should be. I take out the sag, meaning I tighten until the middle of the track just touches the hyfax. Start the sled and run the track.
Check to make sure the track in running true by measuring the distance on the outside edge of the track to the face of the rear wheel. Once its good tighten the axle bolt.

If your track is centered now, turn both nuts EXACTLY the same amount of turns, and it should stay centered. The looser you can run your track without ratcheting, generally, the less wear on your sliders.

If your track is centered now, turn both nuts EXACTLY the same amount of turns, and it should stay centered. The looser you can run your track without ratcheting, generally, the less wear on your sliders.
mine wear down to the minimum,and then it doesn't wear any more.I changed the 1st set about 1500 miles,put the new set un wore down in 200 miles and never wore anymore.i know have 4100 on it (07'rtx)

Loosen the rear axle. 17mm and 19mm will be needed. Lift the rear in the air and thru a track window tighten the two 14mm nuts using a deep socket on the inside each rail.
Everyone has a difference of opinion on how tight the track should be. I take out the sag, meaning I tighten until the middle of the track just touches the hyfax. Start the sled and run the track.
Check to make sure the track in running true by measuring the distance on the outside edge of the track to the face of the rear wheel. Once its good tighten the axle bolt.
Do I need the deep socket or will standard sockets with extension work? thanks

You will need a deep socket. The adjustment nuts are on a long threaded shaft. You will probably also need an extension to reach the nuts through the window of the track.
If it helps you, 14 mm is almost exactly the same as 9/16.

Back