• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

track rub

rocklong

Extreme
I have a base 07 phazer and the track rubs a little bit in the front on the left side, there is a small gap on the right side but it just touches on the left. Does anyone else have this problem or could I have something bent. For some reason it just seems to run a little to the left in front.

APEX 06 said:
Driver moved.

X2

Your drivers have moved on the drive shaft or your entire drive shaft has shifted over. Check your bearings, lock collars and/or make sure nothing in the chaincase has allowed the drive shaft to move over.

The dealership put a new track on in october and I noticed the first ride it was doing this. I greased the bearing on clutch side the other day it was fine. It just looks like the track is pulling to the left side. The knobs the drivers grab are tight against drivers on right side and there is space on the left.

Can I loosen the lock collar and slide the shaft over a little or do I need to remove it and move the drivers. It will probably throw things off in the chain case if I move the shaft won't it. The track just touches the left side, probably only needs moved over about an 1/8 to a 1/4" max.

The components in the chaincase keep the drive shaft in a fixed lateral position. The lock collar on the left side only keeps the shaft from spinning inside the bearing.

Did your dealer install the anti ratchet drivers when your new track was installed? Unless there is something tweaked in the chassis or rear suspension, it sounds like your drivers need to be shifted over on the drive shaft and centered with the rail tips. I would start by bringing this to your dealers attention.

No anti ratchet drivers. I have to remove the shaft and use a press to move them right. I think I'll do it my self I'm not to happy with dealer work. The first ride after they installed the track the bolt fell out of clutch side and I lost the speed sensor and got codes, then later I went to check the chain case oil and they had the seal off on the bottom and it was almost out of oil and full of ice. Not happy with there work!

Depending on what/how has been done to the sled it may be as simple as an assembly issue. They may have reinstalled everything but not in the correct order. When replacing the driveshaft bearing, you want to assemble the chaincase side completely (tighten everything up), then capture the drive shaft bearing, then tighten the set screws the drive shaft bearing coller. Otherwise you end up side loading the bearings and things can wear out fast. Once everything has been set you should be able to remove the shaft without reseting the bearing, assuming all of the spacers are in correctly.

I would let Yamaha know what's going on at your
dealer. Maybe they can push them into getting a
good mechanic. They are not a dime a dozen and can
be tough for a dealer to keep in stock, so to speak.

Thanks guys! I'll take it apart sometime and look it over. U would think it would be pretty easy for them the get every thing right with no reverse but u never know.

I always tighten the set screws last after the suspension is bolted up to prevent any sideloading of the bearings.

Back