• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Trade in value

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
17’ Yamaha sidewinder
thinking about trading in my 17 winder this year. Anyone know how the trade in value is on them ?

I don’t think it to be very good with left overs on the floor with big discounts and rebates.One and two years old machines you usually lose your butt

I’ll be finding out what my 18 is worth today!

I had a chunk of ice off my tunnel cut the coolant hose that is unprotected and been known to leak due to loose clamps. Yamaha does not want to stand behind the failure even though it’s a design flaw imo. Should be Protected so “ice” in my “snowmobile doesn’t cut it. I’m sorry but I can’t keep a sled I don’t trust and that MFG won’t stand behind. Sled was a spring order with less than 1000 miles. To me it’s completely unacceptable. Think it’s time to go back to Polaris

Last edited:
A used '17 should be in the 8-$9,000 range. At trade in. I'll stop by my dealer today and see what he says.

But it's all a game. Dealer will show $11,000 and charge full retail.

I think it's better to look at the total dollars in upcharge to weight the gravity of the exchange.

I'm thinking $4-5,000

I had a chunk of ice off my tunnel cut the coolant hose that is unprotected and been known to leak due to loose clamps. Yamaha does not want to stand behind the failure even though it’s a design flaw imo. Should be Protected so “ice” in my “snowmobile doesn’t cut it. I’m sorry but I can’t keep a sled I don’t trust and that MFG won’t stand behind. Sled was a spring order with less than 1000 miles. To me it’s completely unacceptable. Think it’s time to go back to Polaris
I dont blame you one bit.....But you must not be a HP freak like many of us here I guess?

What I mean is, I also would not mind owning another sled that is mostly gas and go, and worry less about power and modding and more about touring Qc ect.....I get it!

Problem is...when I swap to all other sleds(2s or 4s) they feel like a pooch....its hard to step away from the big power.

So if its something like coolant hose ONLY that would make you want to walk away, then why not just make up a bracket? I will certainly be making up a shroud/bracket type cover for my coolant hose next fall, not that mine has been an issue as I tightened my clamps and think that is half the issue, but for peace of mind its a simple thing to fix IMO.

I would not be surprised if Travis comes out with something, or maybe CAT comes out with update? But wont hold my breath for latter.

Dan

Dan you are hitting an issue of mine directly. I honestly love the sled but and super disappointed in the way YAMAHA is standing behind it. If I choose to keep something will be done to protect the hose. I had been a diesel mechanic for over 15 years so not to worried about doing the job. The power is awesome and would be hard to loose it. All my stuff is modded, from my lifted ford diesel that will outrun most mustangs/Camaros near me to my blown d/d car to my arv that requires race fuel. But for 15k I shouldn’t have to worry about a piece of ice on a snowmobile. Bottom line is I’m super frustrated and torn on what to do next.

I don't blame you either but there is no holy grail of sleds and manufacturers out there. Guys over on DooTalk have had engine failures on their 850's and have been without a sled to ride for many weeks. I was up in Gaspe last year and I talked to a guy riding a rental sled because his brand new 800 Polaris blew up with 350 miles on it. Pick your poison.

I don't blame you either but there is no holy grail of sleds and manufacturers out there. Guys over on DooTalk have had engine failures on their 850's and have been without a sled to ride for many weeks. I was up in Gaspe last year and I talked to a guy riding a rental sled because his brand new 800 Polaris blew up with 350 miles on it. Pick your poison.
I agree no brand is perfect. Every brand will have its issues. I was not livid or considering getting rid of the sled until I was told Yamaha will not cover and I should call insurance or pay 1200-1500 out of pocket for repair. But when I have had issues with my Polaris’s in the past, never once have I had to fight to try and get then to stand behind it. Mind you I’d if I had studs and one came out and hit the hose or my studs did the damage I would agree it’s my dollar but not when the sled is bone stock.

I agree no brand is perfect. Every brand will have its issues. I was not livid or considering getting rid of the sled until I was told Yamaha will not cover and I should call insurance or pay 1200-1500 out of pocket for repair. But when I have had issues with my Polaris’s in the past, never once have I had to fight to try and get then to stand behind it. Mind you I’d if I had studs and one came out and hit the hose or my studs did the damage I would agree it’s my dollar but not when the sled is bone stock.
I only have a 250 deductible with my insurance so I would probably go that way for me. A bud of mine had an issue with Doo about a cracked frame (NUN) on his Doo and they said he must have hit something. He didn't hit anything and it was a known issue and after a couple weeks of fighting with them he just put it through his insurance. The problem with what happened to you is the dealer who fixed your sled wasn't the dealer you purchased from. This is a big part of why you had a problem with Yamaha. The dealer can be a huge help and had your dealer dealt with your problem directly I'm sure your results would have been different.

As a matter of fact it was the dealer I ordered the sled from. I had to get another dealer involved and got Yamaha to step up for part of the repair. I had part of my rush nose crack. Never one but of flack. Just fixed it

Dan you are hitting an issue of mine directly. I honestly love the sled but and super disappointed in the way YAMAHA is standing behind it. If I choose to keep something will be done to protect the hose. I had been a diesel mechanic for over 15 years so not to worried about doing the job. The power is awesome and would be hard to loose it. All my stuff is modded, from my lifted ford diesel that will outrun most mustangs/Camaros near me to my blown d/d car to my arv that requires race fuel. But for 15k I shouldn’t have to worry about a piece of ice on a snowmobile. Bottom line is I’m super frustrated and torn on what to do next.

Form a little piece of aluminum and spray it in with spray on bed liner. That should hold it in place strong and if you ever have to service the hose peel it out with a pliers or something else.

Back