• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Trail Tank A+

Seavey82

Pro
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2013 Nytro XTX 1.75
Just finished installing the trail tank and I am very impressed. I am probably the fussiest person on the planet and fit and finish is important to me. After reading all the reviews I was on the fence about buying one but this latest version fits like a glove. It dropped right in, I never had to force, pry, or bend anything. Actually goes in easier than the oem and they made enough room to keep the vent line where it is. The hood panels fit nicely and I don't think most people would even be able to tell its a different tank. My only small gripe is the dsus; the oem are slightly to small and the ones that come with the tank are slightly to long. I will be looking for something between the two. If your on the fence like I was and are reading reviews after reviews just get it you won't be disappointed. It will be so great not looking for gas every 80 miles.

Reading the subject I though you were talking about our Yamaha in general cause I call them trail tanks. lol

I had to look this up to find out what your talking about. So its a replacement gas tank with bigger volume than OEM. Interesting, they say they'll have one for Sidewinders soon. Beats having to carry extra gas on the back if you ask me.

Last edited:
Just finished installing the trail tank and I am very impressed. I am probably the fussiest person on the planet and fit and finish is important to me. After reading all the reviews I was on the fence about buying one but this latest version fits like a glove. It dropped right in, I never had to force, pry, or bend anything. Actually goes in easier than the oem and they made enough room to keep the vent line where it is. The hood panels fit nicely and I don't think most people would even be able to tell its a different tank. My only small gripe is the dsus; the oem are slightly to small and the ones that come with the tank are slightly to long. I will be looking for something between the two. If your on the fence like I was and are reading reviews after reviews just get it you won't be disappointed. It will be so great not looking for gas every 80 miles.

Spot on with my experience. I like the new version so much better than the earlier ones. New fasteners are also too long.

I bought and installed a used Trail Tank a couple years ago on my 08' which is likely one of the earlier ones. I too read all the posts on fit issues with these tanks. I had to move some wiring harnesses around to get the tank far enough forward in the steering hoop to fit the way it should. In the end it fits OK. There is a little V gapping on the lower end of the center console/tank cover body piece but I am OK with it. If you have any cooling issues in low snow, I would go with BOP dual fan kit. I added this fan kit to mine when I did the Trail Tank for a piece of mind. I read that as the trail tank reduces the air space behind the radiator, some people have had cooling issues. The BOP dual fan kit is a simple cost effect mod for improved cooling vs adding the Mountain heat exchanger. G.B.

Lets see some pictures. All of them that I have seen look horrible.

I'll chime in on that this topic too. My 09 had a Trail Tank on it when I bought it. It overheated OFTEN...even in fresh 3" of fluffy snow. Got to be a real PITA. So, after dealing with this for a few seasons I made some changes.. Knock on wood, it's been 4 yrs and not one overheating issue.

I drained my coolant, rinsed system well with boiling distilled water, and added HP Coolant. Why HP coolant? Well, yrs ago, when I had a few KTM 950's, that were known for overheating, a friend suggested HP Coolant that he used with great success in his KTM 950. Been using it ever since in all my stuff.

I also added a Viper snow flap. The flap has more inside grooves and channels that help send snow dust back up, and towards my cooler.

Now...do I know for a fact that these things have prevented overheating in my 09 XTX....no, but those are the only two things that I changed as far as trying to run my Nytro cooler.

Good info MP5, and Mr. Sled I will try to get some pictures up once I finish a track swap. Ty4 is a pain to get pics up and Chaincase is ripped apart at the moment. The really only fitment issue is there is about a 1/8 to 3/16th inch gap on the hood panel around the gas tank shroud but they are equal on both sides and i don't think most people would even notice besides me. My sled is a 2013 so it has the tunnel cooler and I have the moflow vent above the radiator so hopefully overheating will not be a problem. Does the tank look oem? Well pretty close but no its not yamaha fit and finish but handy. Yes the hood panels do fit tight with the oem dsus fasters make no mistake about it. I trimmed the gas tank shroud and added trim to both sides of it so looks pretty good and im satisfied with it fingers crossed no leaks or other issues. Fitment of the tank on the sled was a breeze really.

On a side note Im getting water into chaincase from upper jack shaft bearing, the outer seal on the engine side appeared to be fine yet water is getting in. You can see rust around the bearing dripping down into chaincase. I plan to replace both bearing and seal but don't have a warm and fuzzy this is the cure all.. Is this a common issue? Why isn't there a seal on the back side of the bearing facing the secondary clutch? I know an oring goes on the brake side but do not see on the microfiche if one goes on backside of chaincase. Thanks for the help

I believe there are three versions. Version one has smaller thumbscrews, maybe 1/4" or so knobs. Version two the thumbscrew knobs are about 3/8" and Version 3 has the Dzus fasteners. I have the second version, came with my Nytro 9 years ago when I bought it used. Does not quite fit right but it puts me in the same range as the wife, and she is an easy rider on a 600 Poo. The screw holes are getting a little wore from lots of use, its an 11 year old sled thats been ridden pretty hard, and panels opened lots, mostly to bend things back into place lol.

I have the thumbs screws holding my panels to the tank as well. They are a curse when trying to line the hood back up, and over the steering etc. Even worse when I've had to take the hood off in the freezing cold as everything has shrunk and not as easy when in the warm shop. But in 9 yrs I haven't lost any yet. Speaking of the tank...mine was a bear to fit back on each time I had it off. Finally I had enough and very surgically lengthened the holes where they attach to the body with the two bolts. I also had to cut, lengthen and solder the fuel pick up connections at the lower right side, just above and behind the reverse lever. The original set up was just too short to to try and attach while putting on the tank back on. Oh, and that was after I busted the original connector...lol. That was a long tedious winter night in the shop...#$%&*. But...that all said, the 38 litre tank is much better than the stock 28 litre....Have never had an issue with low fuel...well...one time in Gaspe at 3 in the morning with no fuel for another 90 kms.....:brrr:. Luckily the gas bar owner lived next door and heard the ruckus coming down the trail, and opened up for us. She got a good tip that night.

Will be taking my Nytro apart soon to do my yearly maintenance. Bring it!!

Started a YT Channel last Spring with a buddy of mine. We call it Gnarly Chicken Have 50 or so vids on our dirt bike carnage, rides, and repair work. Going to be putting some sled stuff on there too soon...if anyone is interested in having a peak. GnarlyChicken on You Tube.

Good info MP5, and Mr. Sled I will try to get some pictures up once I finish a track swap. Ty4 is a pain to get pics up and Chaincase is ripped apart at the moment. The really only fitment issue is there is about a 1/8 to 3/16th inch gap on the hood panel around the gas tank shroud but they are equal on both sides and i don't think most people would even notice besides me. My sled is a 2013 so it has the tunnel cooler and I have the moflow vent above the radiator so hopefully overheating will not be a problem. Does the tank look oem? Well pretty close but no its not yamaha fit and finish but handy. Yes the hood panels do fit tight with the oem dsus fasters make no mistake about it. I trimmed the gas tank shroud and added trim to both sides of it so looks pretty good and im satisfied with it fingers crossed no leaks or other issues. Fitment of the tank on the sled was a breeze really.

On a side note Im getting water into chaincase from upper jack shaft bearing, the outer seal on the engine side appeared to be fine yet water is getting in. You can see rust around the bearing dripping down into chaincase. I plan to replace both bearing and seal but don't have a warm and fuzzy this is the cure all.. Is this a common issue? Why isn't there a seal on the back side of the bearing facing the secondary clutch? I know an oring goes on the brake side but do not see on the microfiche if one goes on backside of chaincase. Thanks for the help

Its only a pain because the new smart phones make the images too damn big. Images need to be 1024x768, it easily done with an image resizer app or the new iPhone version has a way to upload reduce size images very quickly. Remember this site is not FaceBook and its run by one person..

Its only a pain because the new smart phones make the images too damn big. Images need to be 1024x768, it easily done with an image resizer app or the new iPhone version has a way to upload reduce size images very quickly. Remember this site is not FaceBook and its run by one person..
Again I'll see what i can do on the pictures. I get this is not Facebook because if it was I wouldn't be on it. FB not my thang.

Spot on with my experience. I like the new version so much better than the earlier ones. New fasteners are also too long.

JIMBUR, I just picked up some new dsus that fit perfect they are just a touch longer than the the oem fastener and work perfect with the trail tank. Its a polaris part number. Polaris 7661969 I got mine off ebay they are a bit pricey but come with retaining washers too.

Resizer_160418140910523.jpg Mr sled as requestedResizer_16041814091051.jpg Resizer_16041814091053.jpg Resizer_16041814091055.jpg Resizer_16041814091057.jpg Resizer_160418140910511.jpg Resizer_160418140910515.jpg Resizer_160418140910525.jpg

Last edited:
looks. Great

Back