• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Trails questions - Marquette Co Michigan

mooseflyer

Expert
Guys, a couple of questions regarding the trail system in Marquette County Michigan:

1. I have some guests coming up next month who have never seen Lake Superior. Where is the best place to view it via snowmobile? I've only been up that way once, to Big Bay, where I had hoped to be able to ride down to the lake but the trail ends some distance away from it. Given the warm conditions at the time, I didn't feel like riding on the bare pavement the distance required to get to the lake via road. In hindsight, perhaps I could have crossed Lake Independence and gotten to the big lake that way somehow? Alternatively, I see on the map that trail 322/417 gets close to the lake east of Marquette - would that be a better option to get down to the lake, or would you have to cross the highway? BTW, anything outside of Marquette County is probably too far.

2. Last year (or maybe the last few years?), I seem to recall trail 14/310 Southeast of Big Bay was closed. Is that true again this year?

3. Trail 82 - does it connect to 8 in Ishpeming? On the map it looks like it just dead ends. I'd be coming up trail 5 from Dickinson County, and 82 looks like it would be slightly shorter than 8 to get to Ishpeming/Marquette?

Thanks all!

417 runs right along the lake towards Harvey for a mile or so.....if you want better view (i.e. more elevation) you have to take the trail through the woods behind the Brownstone Inn near AuTrain.......that might be too much of a "haul" for you though.......sorry, can't remember trail number off the top of my head.......

You can also see it (at a distance) from Mt Arvon, and the clear cut hill about 8 miles to the east of it. The view from the clear cut hill is pretty neat, you just have to climb the hill which is easy in set up snow, but a bit of a challenge in soft powder.

Another really neat view is right in Marquette just after you cross CR 553 (maybe a mile or so) near Marquette Mountain going east (forget the Trail #, but it used to connect to #417). After you climb a few switchbacks on the trail look for a very small hill on your left with lots of sled tracks up it. Even if you choose to not climb the little guy on your sled, you can easily walk up it. This is a great view of Marquette and the lake. Be sure to check locally though as there was talk of changing this trail.

Have to check with locals on #310 and #14. I am sure parts are open but don't know if they were able to get it all open.

As far as #8 and #82 they both connect on each end. They are both fairly straight runs and take very little time, but I think #82 is a little faster, but has a number of stops. All the way from Republic to Ispheming is fast as long as it doesn't get too bumpy.

Excellent, thanks gents. Marquette area it is then.
Ding, I think I see the hill that you're talking about on the map (after crossing M553). It's called Mount Mesnard.
And Buddah, I also see the area you're talking about near AuTrain. The loop looks like a nice ride, but would probably be about 200 miles total for the day. Doable in in good conditions for us I suppose, but will have to check with the ladies.....

Thanks again.

Mt Masnard is right in there somewhere (a little east I think) I am not sure that hill is actually Masnard, but you are in the right area. Anyway the hill you are looking for looks like a little bump from the trail, but drops all the way to the outlying subdivisions of Marquette on the other side. Years back there was a ski hill on the NW side.

The trail going over the top of Mt. Marquette is still open for sleds. I hadn't heard bout it being re-routed/changed. There are snow shoe trails in the area, so that may have something to do with it.
The small hill to the left that Ding talks about used to be the Mt Marquette observation "platform". You'll see the old mounts and railing up there still.
It'll look something like this;
DSC00387_zps05d7609d.jpg

This is looking North/Northwest towards Marquette's Presque Isle Park (sp?), Ore Dock (straight, horizontal thing between the two stacks) is the Lower harbor.

As an aside I had to go to Marquette this morning for a medical procedure and as cold as it was (-15F) the entire bay along M-28 appeared to be frozen over........when we headed home 5 hrs later it was all open water again.......I had never seen that area frozen over before and I've lived here 12 yrs now..........

Back