• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tune reliability

I have a bulk tank at home that I use to fuel the sleds as we were constantly having to go into town just for gas. I always treat the gas like its 2 numbers lower than it says at the pump. Ive used klotz in the past and have recently been using boostane this year. If I buy “91” at the pump to fill the bulk tank, I pretend its 89 when treating it so my treated fuel octane “should” be 93-95 octane when mixed. Has been working thus far. I will say I trust the octane ratings at the big stations more than the small places but first few weeks of winter I am always skeptical as I know they dont sell much premium fuel in the summer and the winter starts off with some not so fresh gas.

Mine was peaking at 17.6 last Friday @-15C on the 240SS tune. It was ripping.

That is 270 level boost, not 240. Is the whole run like that on the log?

Had 240 hurricane tune upgraded last year to 240ss it is awesome set and forget it. 17 ltx 137
Father has the bundle tune on his 20 srx and he runs 240 majority of the time due to octane issues. Raced buddy with 270ss tune on a 21 xtx 146 and he pulled 1 sled length till 100 mph then I passed him. Obviously different gearing and the trails were #*$&@ . So 240ss and clutch and done. Obviously maintenance is a priority on any sled no matter what the h.p. Level imo.

I have run an octane booster in every tank of of gas I have used. better safe than sorry.

Not looking to start which company is better. Looking for a reliable tune without having to add or change a lot of things. Thinking single tune with exhaust. Already have thunder clutching and would like to adjust them to what’s needed. Some say anything over 250 you have to think about changing gears, is that true? With so many options now it’s hard to decide on what to go with. I’ve heard turbo dynamics 270 power trail with 2.5 force exhaust and sounded good. Only one I’ve heard in person. Any info would be awesome. Thanks
I have TD Max 16 with TD header and closed loop. been on Max 16 since new, with header last 3800 miles and closed loop last 700 miles. 6500 total miles and not a problem. I use all Thunder Products clutching and 21/41 gearing. 18 XTX 141, 1.6 track. This sled runs awesome!

For the performance muffler header tune that what is claimed!! Dave posted dyno sheets here somewhere

Stock muffler they claim 285 with header requires 93 octane..
It would be nice e if someone had feedback on header/sm
I run TD Max spool 16 with header and stock muffler with AEM closed loop, CAI, BOV and 4 bar map. with Max16 stock manifold vs header it pretty much felt the same up til about 6500 rpm then the header really starts to pull much harder than without, its a very noticeable difference. TD says 8-10 hp and i am sure it is that but it feels like even more. I had to add 2 grams of weight to my Heavy Hitters to to comp for the difference in mid to top end power. Then i installed closed loop this year for my final ride of the season, put 700 miles on in northern Maine. TD told me i would notice another increase in power and they were right. not as much as going to the header in seat of the pants feel but noticeable. what was very noticeable was throttle response at all rpm was very sharp. my sled was clutched pretty much right on at 8900 on hard pack snow and its going to 9150 now with the addition of closed loop so looks like i will have to add a bit more weight to my clutching. I don't want noise that's why i stayed with stock muffler. I am very happy with the way it runs, has more power than you need for a trail sled, has enough smoke to run out of the stock gearing. 99% of the time that's to fast for trail conditions, anything approaching 120 mph is sketchy on trails but damn the acceleration from 50 to 110 mph is impressive and very addicting. for a stock muffler tuned Sidewinder this thing hauls the mail.

We never had any organized drag racing in our area this winter so I am strictly going on seat of the pants and clutching but I feel my SW with the closed loop is much stronger this year.
I have the Hurricane tune bundles for both SM and PM but I only used the 240SS PM tune all winter and the sled was a rocket and got great gas mileage.

Back