• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tune reliability

what is going on below 5500 rpm's ?
I thought the SS tune works lower ?
How does it get to almost 17 lbs . boost so fast ?
I want to jump knolls like my Apex XTX with the Star suspension upgrade did !
Transfer and some grunt !
Do you realize what the sled makes stock at 5500 rpm? Peak HP stock is roughly 200 HP. think about that for a minute

In my opinion, if I was going to go with one tune, it would be the 240 ss, Stock OR trail muffler. That tune is closer to 250 and when you start to get up in the higher HP tunes other factors come into play. Shortening the barrels on the clamps, intake air temps get higher faster, You need a new B/O valve, boost leaks become more apparent.
Dont get me wrong, 270 and 300 are fun but it brings in a new level of maintenance.
That 240 flash is impressive, set it and forget it, pump gas, no octane worries.
X2. The "other factors come into play" got my attention Stain. IMO, for those who want to "set it and forget it" the 240-250 tunes are safer.
I see too many 280+ sleds with tunes from all 3 of the main tuners that show detonation on pistons to varying degrees. I just looked at 2 more TCats with PM 280 tunes this last week with my fiber optic camera. Both show detonation, especially center cylinder but all 3 showed some deto. These guys have done everything right (they are perfectionists. Boost leak testing, expert maintenance, BOV, clutched right, colder plugs, stock air boxes, roll-over bypass, intake systems were spotless, and they are running at least 91 octane from local gas stations) as far as the sled to prevent deto but it's still happening from time to time. They say they have "occasionally" seen knock light and they back off when it appears.
Has to be gas that's not good enough. Or, they need to install CL/AFR monitoring. Just my 2c.

Or the fuel pump is suspect on lower gas levels in the tank.. Still feel the stock pump is not enough with 270+ tunes.. The fuel return line moved to the slipper/pump area is a must IMO also.. Precision EFI has that fuel pump/reroute kit for a reason.. I know they say the stocker is in on 280 but ?

Hopefully it doesn't scare the sh*t out of me. I have time to decide on which one but pretty sure going with the 270. Just don't want issue's that might be the deciding factor between the 240 and 270. Better on the belt and less power with the 240. I did forget to ask about gearing does it have to be changed for the 270?
Get the bundle of tunes, then start with 240SS and if you want more then bump to 270SS and bump the weight in the clutch.

The 240ss tune has a tone of boost down low then less boost on top end just to keep it at the advertised hp level. I have seen over 17 psi boost on the 240ss tune. Thats why its the super spool.
Mine was peaking at 17.6 last Friday @-15C on the 240SS tune. It was ripping.

Do you realize what the sled makes stock at 5500 rpm? Peak HP stock is roughly 200 HP. think about that for a minute
Yes, but there is still that slight lag... Again, I do believe the exhaust would help.. I wish someone could chine in that has added exhaust to the 240SS tune or 270SS and the results on the bottom end and how it is effected. Would be nice to get it like an 850 on the initial blip of the throttle.

I switched from stock muffler 225/240/270 ss tunes to pm 240/270/300 ss tunes. More power and responsive down low. I usually run on the 240 if you switch to the 270 it's instant power as soon as you touch the throttle. Nice to be able to switch depending on fuel and conditions. Tuned since new 6500km on it this year and no issues.

Yes, but there is still that slight lag... Again, I do believe the exhaust would help.. I wish someone could chine in that has added exhaust to the 240SS tune or 270SS and the results on the bottom end and how it is effected. Would be nice to get it like an 850 on the initial blip of the throttle.
Exhaust has more of an effect at 3/4 plus throttle, not so much a mid RPM's. Making the power down low is all about the map writing - boost, fuel and the right timing.

Or the fuel pump is suspect on lower gas levels in the tank.. Still feel the stock pump is not enough with 270+ tunes.. The fuel return line moved to the slipper/pump area is a must IMO also.. Precision EFI has that fuel pump/reroute kit for a reason.. I know they say the stocker is in on 280 but ?
Checked fuel pump, regulators and injectors. All exactly to spec and working as designed. Injectors all flowed same amount. Pressure drop w 50 mS pulse exactly same in all 6 injectors. Injector flow volume was exactly same in all 6 injectors. Electrically same.
Conclusion: Nothing at all wrong with fuel system. Pump gas cannot be trusted at 18+ psi boost.

Checked fuel pump, regulators and injectors. All exactly to spec and working as designed. Injectors all flowed same amount. Pressure drop w 50 mS pulse exactly same in all 6 injectors. Injector flow volume was exactly same in all 6 injectors. Electrically same.
Conclusion: Nothing at all wrong with fuel system. Pump gas cannot be trusted at 18+ psi boost.[/QUOT

Gotcha. I was just thinking as the tank gets low or the pump gets 5-10 k on it. Maybe gets a little weak. Wondering if the gas octane is not what they say it is at times?

Gotcha. I was just thinking as the tank gets low or the pump gets 5-10 k on it. Maybe gets a little weak. Wondering if the gas octane is not what they say it is at times?

I think the answer to your question is definitely 'yes'! I think sometimes the station/bar/gas stop might cheat (no one will know, right?) or maybe sometimes the dealer/distributor of the gas who delivers the gas to the pump place might cheat (deliver 89 and bill for 91) thinking no one will ever know. I know it's illegal but I still think it happens. I know I've filled up with supposed 91 and right away my knock light was on!

I think the answer to your question is definitely 'yes'! I think sometimes the station/bar/gas stop might cheat (no one will know, right?) or maybe sometimes the dealer/distributor of the gas who delivers the gas to the pump place might cheat (deliver 89 and bill for 91) thinking no one will ever know. I know it's illegal but I still think it happens. I know I've filled up with supposed 91 and right away my knock light was on!
My thought exactly! I always put 2-3 ounces of klotz boost when I gas. Just for this reason.

I ran the 240ss sm tune all this year on 24/50 gearing and it gives you real good snap in the trails! Tops out at 118mph but I only had one chance hold it that long but it gets there fast. I don't think I'd ever need more as a mostly trail rider. Better gas milage than the stock guy I ride with and he rides like a p$&!y.

Unfortunately this " Octane Cheating" occurs more then anyone knows or can imagine. Its easy to do, virtually untraceable, and a way for suppliers and/or vendors to put more cash in their pockets.
We all have fueled up over the years in our vehicles or power sport toys and known the fuel quality is poor but we begrudgingly have to eat it until the next fill up where we get the octane we have actually paid for.
The least likely place for "Octane Cheating" to occur is when purchasing aviation fuel because of the huge ramifications.

Back