• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Tunnel Dammage Due to Ice

Pictures worth a thousand words - nice job.

If you every find yourself cutting a new one, I would be more than happy to purchase one from you.

Was thinking about doing something similar but not as detailed, or as large. You obviously have the equipment to make this happen.
Thanks for sharing.
MS

Craigwsrx,
Nice job!!! What thickness metal did you use? I made a similar plate which mounts on the bottom side of the tunnel. I incorporated the hose protectors in the plate. It was a royal pain to mock up and build. When I take the rear skid out for servicing, I'll post a few photos. I thought of mounting the plate on top of the tunnel as you did, just did not want to have to do a lot of disassembly . If the workload in my shop ever slows down, I'll stack a few plates to gang mill them for members of this site (When and IF the workload slows down). Do you have a CAD file of the plate that you would be willing to share?

I've made a number of other improvements to the sled such as all the steel on steel bushings sets in the rear skid and front suspension with stainless steel and oil-lite bushings, replaced the lightweight ultra weak front rear skid suspension bar with a 3/4" dia stainless steel shaft, replace the unpainted, unplated bare steel collars and sleeves in the rear skid with stainless steel parts (I HATE RUST!!!!)

Jim

Craigwsrx,
Nice job!!! What thickness metal did you use? I made a similar plate which mounts on the bottom side of the tunnel. I incorporated the hose protectors in the plate. It was a royal pain to mock up and build. When I take the rear skid out for servicing, I'll post a few photos. I thought of mounting the plate on top of the tunnel as you did, just did not want to have to do a lot of disassembly . If the workload in my shop ever slows down, I'll stack a few plates to gang mill them for members of this site (When and IF the workload slows down). Do you have a CAD file of the plate that you would be willing to share?

I've made a number of other improvements to the sled such as all the steel on steel bushings sets in the rear skid and front suspension with stainless steel and oil-lite bushings, replaced the lightweight ultra weak front rear skid suspension bar with a 3/4" dia stainless steel shaft, replace the unpainted, unplated bare steel collars and sleeves in the rear skid with stainless steel parts (I HATE RUST!!!!)

Jim
You could probably have a few customers with that list of "upgrades"

I designed it and had them made at a shop with CNC machines. I do have 15 extra I made, and will sell. I do have a shop and do some work on sleds for people who know of me. I try not to be to busy because as you can see by my mileage I like to ride and ride as much as I can. I'm in the UP of Michigan riding this weekend, nothing better than spring riding.I will sell them, not sure how to do this as I am not a vendor and don't want to break any Totallyamaha rules. I will sign up to be a vendor so I can forward my contact info for anyone wanting one of these tunnel plates. You do need to drill holes in plate for rivets, it is critical to line up along front edge to match to heat exchanger. Plate is about 1/6" thick stainless steel, I can check exact thickness when I get back to my shop on Monday. It does make the job easier to have a drill press to use for drilling stainless for rivets. This is a major modification so be prepared for removing gas tank, exhaust header, etc to preform install. I have been involved with all of installs thru my shop of 8 sleds, most with no damage to tunnel and didn't want any issues like I had. Price for plate and 14 rivets is $50 plus shipping.

Awesome job! But why not a plate on the bottom side of the tunnel so you don't have to do major disassembly?
I would prob be interested in a tunnel reinforcement plate installed in the tunnel.

You could if you designed it that way. I did mine from the top because an ice chunk got jammed up in top of tunnel and pushed tunnel up and took out my heatexchanger
hose.I did mine from the top to tie it into front motor mount/sub frame with new rivets. Not sure from underside to design around heatexchangers etc. Lots of 0ptions , all good that works.

I designed it and had them made at a shop with CNC machines. I do have 15 extra I made, and will sell. I do have a shop and do some work on sleds for people who know of me. I try not to be to busy because as you can see by my mileage I like to ride and ride as much as I can. I'm in the UP of Michigan riding this weekend, nothing better than spring riding.I will sell them, not sure how to do this as I am not a vendor and don't want to break any Totallyamaha rules. I will sign up to be a vendor so I can forward my contact info for anyone wanting one of these tunnel plates. You do need to drill holes in plate for rivets, it is critical to line up along front edge to match to heat exchanger. Plate is about 1/6" thick stainless steel, I can check exact thickness when I get back to my shop on Monday. It does make the job easier to have a drill press to use for drilling stainless for rivets. This is a major modification so be prepared for removing gas tank, exhaust header, etc to preform install. I have been involved with all of installs thru my shop of 8 sleds, most with no damage to tunnel and didn't want any issues like I had. Price for plate and 14 rivets is $50 plus shipping.

I'll take one of your plates sir!

14607.jpeg
14610.jpeg
Just some pics of loose rivets and bent tunnel at the fwd heat exchanger to tunnel.
Snow pushed tunnel up and now enters the engine compartment over the top of the heat exchanger. Gets snow on belt from here.
Tunnel is only .050" thick.

Last edited:
Wow that sucks. You going to use that plate you asked for and make another strip for under tunnel? Fine thread Button head allen bolts would sandwich it tighter than those rivets ever will also.

Last edited:
Heavy duty plate not a bad idea, hard running on -32 day on hard packed icy trail. Shelter was about 30 K from home and sled was fairly clean of snow at shelter, knocked one side clean and thought should take a picture before I clean it right off, that is ice although it looks like snow. All sleds had same problem.
NTZwRq7.jpg

Looks like a completely different design fwd heat exchanger on the viper than the sidewinder. Viper has no rear exchanger.

Screenshot_20191124-184841_Chrome.jpg

First picture is sidewinder heat exchanger.
Second pic is viper.

Screenshot_20191124-184726_Chrome.jpg

Heavy duty plate not a bad idea, hard running on -32 day on hard packed icy trail. Shelter was about 30 K from home and sled was fairly clean of snow at shelter, knocked one side clean and thought should take a picture before I clean it right off, that is ice although it looks like snow. All sleds had same problem.
NTZwRq7.jpg

That's gonna hurt.....lol

Guys that spout "the new yamis don't ice like the old ones" clearly have never been out in cold weather. They all ice bad beyond -20. At -30 it doesn't get better..... Nice pic. Thanks for sharing.
MS

Back