• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

tunnel Ice- anyone ever figure out a way to stop it?

Burnzy

After being in the U.P. a couple weeks ago when it was extremely cold i trailer the sled home to Indiana. As the sled thawed out i saved the chunks of ice coming out of the tunnel. Not only was i amazed at the size but the weight of it all was ridiculous. I've had this sled for 5 years and never seen it this bad or heard the "grinding" as bad as it was. I know this has been bitched about for awhile, just wondering if anyone has come up with any simple solutions.

I did the canoehead block-off plate and noticed a significant reduction in tunnel icing. Grizz has a version too...

Remove the tunnel protectors, add a Block off plate, tunnel coolers and powder coating the tunnel. Are ways to permanently get rid of most of the tunnel icing

Another thing you can do is carry a can of Pam cooking spray and apply every day before you ride, it works pretty good short term. There are a few other products out there that are made to shed water, and snow but I've never tried them.

Hey guys. Not sure if pic loaded but was seeing what you thought about the plate I put on. I have an xtx and the plate starts at the end of header. I figured the track would draw air from the top of the tunnel to help cool muffler and the header would get snow on it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 998
You didn't need to go that tight to the tunnel sides. the width of the tunnel protectors works fine. I'd cut some vent holes with a hole saw or remove the plate and narrow it down so you have gaps on the sides.

Track Stud version:

No Track Studs version:

So you guys are mounting from the underside? All the plates I've seen before look like they attach from the top

The tunnel block off plates closes the hole in the tunnel under the muffler. They are available from several aftermarket vendors. I installed one of those first but it did very little to reduce tunnel ice. The tunnel protectors are part of the problem. Snow melt from the muffler refreezes on the protectors and continues to grow until an ice block forms. Removing the protectors helps reduce build up but snow still hits the muffler and refreezes on the sides of the tunnel. Installing a plate on the tunnel protectors stops ice from forming around the protector and also reduces the amount of snow hitting the muffler. I've been running this setup for several years and it works. All you need is a .05" thick aluminum plate that can be ordered from McMaster Carr or Stock Car Steel.

I use to get CRAZY ice build up, I did grizz's recommendation and I get very little build up.

b129a9ccfaeadb730a1be9ec13c45f02.jpg

I just built one for my 121, just a piece of 2' x 1' Diamond plate and put it on top the protectors. I had to drill 2 rivets on each of the protectors so I could slide it in from the back and dent the front a little so it would clear the exhaust.
I put about 4 rivets on each side to hold the plate to the protectors.
From what i have been reading on here that should be plenty to stop the icing, at least that's what I'm hoping. I cant tell you how it works because I have yet to ride with it but I will be riding with my buddy who has the exact sled as I do and his is bone stock so it will be a good comparison.

I've done the comparison several times. At the end of the day I've seen Nytros with blocks of ice hanging as low as the snow flap and mine has virtually no ice.

I am going to try your studded version. What track lug height/stud height differential can you have before the studs contact the plate and cause damage? I would assume the differential that would cause damage would not be the sane as the stud protector bar thickness as the lugs probably bend over as the lug hits the protector.

with the aluminum plate up between the protectors it's almost against the muffler. You can see some discoloration in my plate from the muffler heat. If the studs hit the plate then they would also be long enough to hit the muffler if the plate wasn't there.

Back