• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Turbo viper tips

It is weird, I have talked with Matt at MPI a lot about this. So I took out the clutch kit that was in it from the dealer with the turbo. I put a blue silver blue primary spring, white white secondary spring and stock helix with the weights it had from the turbo kit. And it seemed to run even faster than with the clutch kit. Then I thought I fixed it, went riding and sure enough only 8400 max rpm's and I felt it binding, slipping. Then later that same day was going across a lake and it ran perfect 8900-9000 rpm's and it ripped! 106 easy. It ran that way for the rest of the night. Then the next day would only hit 8400 rpm's max and felt it binding, slipping again and broke a belt. It's crazy! How can it run perfect one time and change a few hours later? :o|

YamahaTim said:
It is weird, I have talked with Matt at MPI a lot about this. So I took out the clutch kit that was in it from the dealer with the turbo. I put a blue silver blue primary spring, white white secondary spring and stock helix with the weights it had from the turbo kit. And it seemed to run even faster than with the clutch kit. Then I thought I fixed it, went riding and sure enough only 8400 max rpm's and I felt it binding, slipping. Then later that same day was going across a lake and it ran perfect 8900-9000 rpm's and it ripped! 106 easy. It ran that way for the rest of the night. Then the next day would only hit 8400 rpm's max and felt it binding, slipping again and broke a belt. It's crazy! How can it run perfect one time and change a few hours later? :o|
it shouldn't, what are you wrapped on the secondary? it may not be going full shift...mark both clutches with a black marker and run the hell out of it then check both clutches it should tell you whats going on as far as which clutch is the problem.

True, I have not tried that yet. But I keep running into the same thing. Why would it happen sometimes and sometimes not. If the spring was to weak, it would be to weak all the time. Not just sometimes. That's what messes me up. That's why I'm thinking it's something else. What I don't know. It is really pissing me off! I have had zero problems with this thing until now. And it's not the turbo causing the belt issues. I am having the dealer look at it under warranty right now and they are replacing a side panel that got messed up in the process. I guess I have had the problem the whole time, but was not blaming it on the "Viper" I was blaming it on clutching. Now I don't know. Hopefully they test that with the marker. And everything else. I asked them if they would just put a new primary and secondary on to see if that would fix it. I don't know anymore! ;):D

yeah its weird for sure but something is binding...I had this happen on my nytro and it was the primary the spider was binding because of a mix up on the rollers I installed some how I put 2 17 and 1 14 roller in and it did this. it only would do 83-8400 because of spider binding and it burnt the belt pretty good the next week I corded that belt.

JP270NYTRO said:
yeah its weird for sure but something is binding...I had this happen on my nytro and it was the primary the spider was binding because of a mix up on the rollers I installed some how I put 2 17 and 1 14 roller in and it did this. it only would do 83-8400 because of spider binding and it burnt the belt pretty good the next week I corded that belt.

Lol...ya it's definitely weird! I would hope that the dealer would not make that mistake. Since it's been there 3 times for the same reason. I would hope now that they will check that and I will say something. I had someone tell me it might be the bearings on the jack shaft. Because it only happens sometimes. If it happened all the time it would be easier to find the problem. Who knows??? All I know is that I'm missing out on all this snow! I would have 4000 miles on it by now. I'm suppose to get it back from the dealer tomorrow. But they have not told me they found anything yet. And I hate to keep calling them to find out what the actual problem is. It's not the springs or helix or weights. It's something else.

Well just got back from a 38 mile ride, back to the same old 8400 to 8600temp is the same as yesterday.Now have a new problem muffler broke and melted my side plastic and boot.

Ya, I don't get it. Rpm's changing that much and only sometimes. I talked to a lot of different dealers today and no solid answers, but very nice and helpful. But it's hard to diagnosis without having it right in front of you. I thank those dealers very much! Just wish I could figure this out! :o|

This clutch kit sounds interesting. I am running the push turbo and am looking for better clutching. Mine hits so hard it can't back shift fast enough. Sled is a rocket but I think there is better clutching Gains to be had.

Blown Up said:
This clutch kit sounds interesting. I am running the push turbo and am looking for better clutching. Mine hits so hard it can't back shift fast enough. Sled is a rocket but I think there is better clutching Gains to be had.

For sure! I used all stock stuff except the weights and it pulled a lot harder than it did with the clutch kit that came from the dealer who put the turbo in. It's not from MPI! In fact Matt at MPI is the one who told me to try the stock stuff to see. And it was 6mph faster in the exact same strip on the same day, just a hour apart. So maybe try the stock stuff with your weights you have now. PM me if you want to talk about it. I have received a lot of information today talking with all the different dealers. It will for sure help once the dealer figures out what's going on with my sled.

Some one who knows how much weight gain turboinstalationen makes?

Back