• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Turned primary clutch clockwise darn it!!!!

crunchie

Veteran
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2015 SR Viper R-TX DX
I did some minor external modifications to my primary on a 2015 SR Viper RTX-DX. I inadvertently turned the primary clockwise to do the mod forgetting that this a 4 stroke, my first. So I'm wondering if I screwed up the timing somehow by doing this, is there a quick way to determine if I screwed up the timing? TIA

Can you turn it counter clockwise 2 complete revolution ? If so valves are not hitting. I would then try to start it. It’s possible for the chain to skip turning it clockwise but it doesn’t happen every time.

I will try this today, tks. Should I need to remove the plugs to do this?

Last edited:
I can only turn it ccw half turn and it jams. Doesn't look good. After doing the mod, I started it and it was noisy. I should have shut it down then but we were getting ready for a rip so I reversed it out of the garage and forward to the front of the house. I didn't like the sound so I left it there.
I'm reluctant to start it now.....

What external primary mods were you doing?
I wasn’t going to go there, I’m a bit ashamed. The three bolts that hold the rollers were a bit loose and rattling. But they weren’t loose because I checked. So I decided, with a suggestion from a mechanic to put 1 washer on each but doing so I turned the clutch back and forth not realizing that this is 4 stroke engine, my first. Have had about 6 /2 strokes in the past.
I removed 2 plugs to make sure it wasn’t the compression stopping the rotation but it stills jams. Off to the shop I guess for a stupidly on my part.

Attachments

• F30C2C2D-0609-4C86-941E-C8D2873B94B2.jpeg
    F30C2C2D-0609-4C86-941E-C8D2873B94B2.jpeg
    59.8 KB · Views: 66
I wasn’t going to go there, I’m a bit ashamed. The three bolts that hold the rollers were a bit loose and rattling. But they weren’t loose because I checked. So I decided, with a suggestion from a mechanic to put 1 washer on each but doing so I turned the clutch back and forth not realizing that this is 4 stroke engine, my first. Have had about 6 /2 strokes in the past.
I removed 2 plugs to make sure it wasn’t the compression stopping the rotation but it stills jams. Off to the shop I guess for a stupidly on my part.
Are you sure you're just not up against the compression of the third cylinder you left the plug in?

These engines turn over harder compared to a two-stroke. If the cam did indeed skip, when trying to rotate it will come up against a very firm sudden stop. You don't need to take any spark plugs out.

Are you sure you're just not up against the compression of the third cylinder you left the plug in?
No I can’t say I’m sure. It can be that
These engines turn over harder compared to a two-stroke. If the cam did indeed skip, when trying to rotate it will come up against a very firm sudden stop. You don't need to take any spark plugs out.
So I should be able to rotate the clutch ccw with the plugs in under normal conditions is what you’re saying?

No I can’t say I’m sure. It can be that

So I should be able to rotate the clutch ccw with the plugs in under normal conditions is what you’re saying?
Yes.
These engines don't turn over easily by hand however, but it will turn unless the cam timing is out causing piston to valve contact.

So in the shop it goes, this is way out my league. My only dilemma is that our sledding season is at best two weeks to go and, most shops the warranty last sometimes 30-60-90 days. Hoping that they can start the warranty december 1st and not waste my warranty during the summer months. I hope to keep you updated if the board is interested.
Or I wait till just before the season starts in early winter.
This is my wife's sled, she ain't happy to say the least. Thankfully we have a touring sled so we can still get out.

Last edited:
If it jumped time it won't idle properly. If the idle is OK then I'd look at what you did to the clutch to determine if that's your noise.

If it jumped time it won't idle properly. If the idle is OK then I'd look at what you did to the clutch to determine if that's your noise.
I’m worried that if it did jump time that the longer I run it, the more damage I can do to the valves. Maybe that’s a wrong assessment. All I did to the clutch is I added a washer to each bolt on the rollers to eliminate the rattling of the bolt from side to side.
The rollers are still free to turn but the bolts are now tight.

Last edited:

Back