• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ulmer quiet can VS D&D quiet can

Raceit369

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 SR Viper LTX SE
It appears that the Ulmer Racing quite trail can that I received with the #4 kit (ordered Nov 14, 2014 and received yesterday Feb 4, 2015) is nothing more than the D&D quiet can that my brother and my buddy have on their AC 7000's. Can anyone confirm this? The one I received actually still has the stainless D&D logo cutout on the shield and has the D&D logo cut out of the front brace arm. Are they the same exact can?

It appears that the Ulmer Racing quite trail can that I received with the #4 kit (ordered Nov 14, 2014 and received yesterday Feb 4, 2015) is nothing more than the D&D quiet can that my brother and my buddy have on their AC 7000's. Can anyone confirm this? The one I received actually still has the stainless D&D logo cutout on the shield and has the D&D logo cut out of the front brace arm. Are they the same exact can?

I'm curious how this can sounds from the rider's perspective (noise) compared to others like MBRP, Excell etc

The concept of this can along with the Sandale look like they take an oval offset automotive style muffler and weld into the pipes. I'm intrigued.

A little disappointed and annoyed that it is not advertised as the D&D. Had I known this, I would have picked up a D&D directly from their booth at Haydays like my brother did and avoided all this crap with not getting one til 3 months later. BTW, Ulmer sent me the Sandale one originally in January without telling me, and it was nothing more than a $50 Magnaflow can with an elbow and mounting tabs welded on. Anyone with welding experience and wanting to make their own can, I would go this route and save $400. You can pick up Magnaflow cans new on eBay pretty cheap. According to Allen, the Sandale is 1 dB louder than the D&D with the same performance gains. It is stainless with no packing to replace and is 3lbs lighter than stock (measured on a bathroom scale).​

Last week I was riding with my buddy and his D&D and it sounds a little louder at idle but not annoying and he says that he thinks it is about the same as stock when riding. He couldn't hear any difference with his helmet on which cruising down the trail. No comparison to any other mufflers though other than stock.

I'm curious how this can sounds from the rider's perspective (noise) compared to others like MBRP, Excell etc

The concept of this can along with the Sandale look like they take an oval offset automotive style muffler and weld into the pipes. I'm intrigued.
I really like the sound of the d&d quiet can, sounds nice. I have it on my wifes viper as she didn't like how my d&d barker exhaust sounded on my viper. I'm almost contemplating putting one on mine. Had a little scare when I first fired up the quiet can, because it seemed allot louder than the stock. I thought she would freak out but out on the trail it's doesn't seem louder than stock at all. Just louder at idle for some reason. Great fit and finish on both d&d mufflers.

If you have the D&D/Ulmer can make sure you cut off some of the bottom pipe... it sticks out way to much and get crashed when trail riding.

Great advice. Do you cut it flush with the outlet hole in the pan or just below like the stock can? I did see that my stock can has a dent in the front.

Has anyone running the D&D quiet can have any clearance issues ? I had to remove mine as the heat shield was against the magneto/stator cover and melted both inspection plugs for the timing marks and crankshaft flywheel nut caught just in time before she went up in smoke.

Mine was around 1/4 - 1/8" so I put heat reflective tape on just being cautious. Haven't look at it since its been on.

Subaru2006

Has anyone running the D&D quiet can have any clearance issues ? I had to remove mine as the heat shield was against the magneto/stator cover and melted both inspection plugs for the timing marks and crankshaft flywheel nut caught just in time before she went up in smoke.

My heat shield was touching the stator cover and there may have been a 1/16th inch of clearance between the muffler body and heat shield

I've seen others with that muffler and heat issues melting parts along with the heat shield that comes on it. Here are a couple pics that were posted elsewhere. Was this yours? The sad thing is that it's one of the more expensive mufflers out there and nothing fancy about it. $479. Ouch.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

No that wasn't my sled . My outer heat shield has deformed a bit but my body panels were not damaged just the plastic inspection plugs in the stator cover I have removed my exhaust until D&D reviews the photos I am sending them and decide if there is a way of correcting the problem

Back