• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Ultimax vs G FORCE BELT

Doc Harley

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'17 Sidewinder LTX SE
XS825 vs 40R4313
Anybody have first-hand experience between the two belts listed.
Currently running XS825 is there any reason to switch over, other than cost.
What's the good & the bad?

Last season[2022/2023] I switched from an 8DN setup on my SW to the Gates G-Force Redline belt. The Redline was very much like the 8DN in durability and performance and easily lasted all season with very little wear or belt dust. I put a new one on for this season as I don't run my belts more then one season.
I changed belt types only to change it up a bit. The 8DN is longer then the Sidewinder specific belts so the Redline actually had a few more mph when shifted out.
Unlike most SW people, I fully float my secondary clutch so I have to internally shim my secondary for different belt lengths.

Works for me.

The only belt that will hold a candle to the Xs 825 is the g-boost world's best snowmobile belt but I'm not about to make the switch I love my Timken belts

Moving on to another belt can be quite difficult. I mean the one you're using is flawless. Why change?
Price is right, at $85 bones. Bob's experience says a lot. He's trail riding with the G Force. Goes to the drags with it (thou I'm pretty sure his clutches are completely dialed in.) And a little more mph sure doesn't hurt.
Yes the G Boost is another option, at $225pr....I'm not ready to make that commitment. Maybe if I was in the 300hp+ club.

Definitely something to look at when you're looking for every advantage you can get.
Even a consistent 1 mph helps.

I've researched the Gates Redline and will be trying one this year. The ultimax comes apart at 200 degrees where the Redline has a 300 degree limit. I'm told the Redline pulls rpm down more than the XS indicating a stickier compound. We'll see and I'll let you know the differences I find between the 2.

I've ran both - the redline surpassed my expectations last season. I was on the fence about trying it as the price seemed almost too good to be true, it's $100 here in Ontario and the XS825 has jumped up over $200. I ran it all last season on the 270 hurricane tune and never missed a beat. It still looks new and there was very minimal dust from it. Mind you our season was very short last year i think i put about 1200 miles on it but I have no concern about running one again this year. I bought as second for a spare even with having a brand new XS825 already in the bag. Much like the masses on here i jumped on the XS band wagon as soon as I tuned my sled, the first one they sent me I swore had a defect. It looked like the cord was sticking out the side too much but I sent them pics and they told me to run it, 100 miles later and the cord was already pulling out. They replaced it under warranty and I put 2000 miles on that next belt with the 240 tune with no issues. When I wicked it up to the 270 tune i put a brand new XS on and it worked well until I tried to do a wide open pull on a lake and it snapped about 3 seconds after I passed my buddy on his 850 polaris, scared the absolute s#it out of me, pushed in the stub shaft, you know how that story goes. I was very nervous about doing any sort of big end pulls with this redline belt at 270, but so far it hasn't let me down and for $100 it's worth changing yearly for peace of mind as Bob said

I think the Redline is a very similar rubber compound to the Yamaha OEM 8DN as far as grip and lack of wear or belt dust goes. One downside of the Redline is that it may wear the clutches a little more along the lines of an 8DN, but I don't have enough miles on it yet to know.
I am sold on them after a full season using one and the price is pretty good, similar to a 8DN....especially when Fortnine had them on sale this summer.
My sled ran well over 120mph on the GPS[130mph speedo] using the Redline and was a couple mph faster then it was when I used the 8DN.
I never used the XS825 so I have no experience to compare it with.

I've researched the Gates Redline and will be trying one this year. The ultimax comes apart at 200 degrees where the Redline has a 300 degree limit. I'm told the Redline pulls rpm down more than the XS indicating a stickier compound. We'll see and I'll let you know the differences I find between the 2.
Funny, DMC....you ran the hell out of those 8jp's, back in the day.
I'd still be using an 8jp if not for the horrible mess.
In the end, I have a very good XS825, but will switch over to the G-Force this year.
Depending on miles/conditions.
I suspect Bob & DMC will have some results by the time I make the switch.
And thanks for the temp info, dmc. I remember reading the G-Force has a higher ability to withstand heat. That's kinda a big deal.
200° vs 300°
Thanks guys!!!

Last edited:
Fleecer tried the Redline and blew it to pieces, where the others didn't come apart, maybe he'll chime in as I know he runs them at very high speeds on those big trails. I thought he didn't like it. As for 300 degrees on the belt, I don't think any belt could survive that, and if temps are that high, somethings off in the clutching and slip or pinch is really bad.

I haven't tried my Redline yet as the Ultimate XS is doing so well on my TAPP primary. I may even go back to the 8DN and try now on the TAPP primary too, but I have 3 brand new Ultimax here as they have been so good since going to the RX-1 Primary and the TAPP primary, both of those clutches have been perfectly easy on belts, rollers and the driveline.

I agree belt temps should never, ever get that hot.

8DN is a hard , slipping POS belt LOL.

I’m intrigued though that someone has indicated the gates drops rpms even more than the timken.

I’ve had very good luck with the ultimax belts , even radar running never blew one or had one start to come apart.

Key I think to most belt issues is clutch alignment and clutching in general.

I agree belt temps should never, ever get that hot.

8DN is a hard , slipping POS belt LOL.

I’m intrigued though that someone has indicated the gates drops rpms even more than the timken.

I’ve had very good luck with the ultimax belts , even radar running never blew one or had one start to come apart.

Key I think to most belt issues is clutch alignment and clutching in general.
The riders I have dialog with, in other forms, claim the g force doesn't drop rpm as low as Timkin belt. 1 guy says 100 less than 8jp and another 200.
But I realize it's all in the set-up. And these two weren't very set up. Meaning normal dudes. Lol. Which is not to say that we are not normal.
Well I don't think DMC Claims it's awesome to be able to ride with a belt temp at 300°. I think what he meant was the g force belt to be more robust And able to take more heat.

I just checked my notes and, on my sleds clutching setup, the Redline belt dropped my full throttle shift RPM @ 300-400 RPM as compared to the 8DN belts I have been running since my sled was new. This info obviously is only valid when comparing the Redline to an 8DN belt setup on a SW.

FWIW- like many of you, I've experimented with most of current belts. My lowest belt temps (as measured by Razorback IR on sled) and lowest shift RPM with same clutching were always with Timken XS (300 HP tune).
Haven't tried Redline yet but will this winter.

Fleecer tried the Redline and blew it to pieces, where the others didn't come apart, maybe he'll chime in as I know he runs them at very high speeds on those big trails. I thought he didn't like it. As for 300 degrees on the belt, I don't think any belt could survive that, and if temps are that high, somethings off in the clutching and slip or pinch is really bad.

I haven't tried my Redline yet as the Ultimate XS is doing so well on my TAPP primary. I may even go back to the 8DN and try now on the TAPP primary too, but I have 3 brand new Ultimax here as they have been so good since going to the RX-1 Primary and the TAPP primary, both of those clutches have been perfectly easy on belts, rollers and the driveline.
Screenshot_20231110_150750_Chrome.jpg

Back