• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Used Apex Turbo

01blackspeeper

Extreme
Looking at a 2008 apex mtx that had been turboed. Guy tells me he bought it in the fall it has a mpi stage 2 rear mount turbo kit on it running 12lbsa. Asked if it has a shim or pistons and the guy couldn't answer my questions all he said was it came from Canada. There is alot of questions I have but should I stay away from this sled or what. Is there a quick way to check compression and what not.

MPI stuff for Apex were usually Superchargers. You sure it is MPI or a Turbo? Maybe MCX mid or rear mount turbo like mine
If 12 lbs it must be shimmed or have low comp pistons otherwise it would be blown up unless run on race fuel all the time.
Not hard to do compression test. Some disassembly required.
Compression test not always conclusive though. Leak down test is best.
Might be best to avoid this sled unless you can get the seller vouched for.
I've purchased 2 Boosted sleds from TY members. One didn't post much but Tom vouched for him . The other had years of posting and it was easy to figure out he was a good guy by reading his posts. Both sleds met my expectations

When he told me it was a mpi kit that was my first red flag. Does your kit have coolant lines running from the cross over at the rear of the tunnel to the turbo?

Here is some pics

Attachments

• 00M0M_7CEGA02dkFi_600x450.jpg
    00M0M_7CEGA02dkFi_600x450.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 574
  • 00N0N_ferPgvvUDvS_1200x900.jpg
    00N0N_ferPgvvUDvS_1200x900.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 235
When he told me it was a mpi kit that was my first red flag. Does your kit have coolant lines running from the cross over at the rear of the tunnel to the turbo?

No to coolant lines like that.
Never seen anything like that. Interesting.
Never looked for shim on mine but I would think you could see it.

looks like a real small turbo. Does it have a tag or any markings on it ?

Ken...........

So I told the guy no. He was down to 3000. After looking at the pick more his tube running from the turbo to the intercooler is through the seat. It's some back woods half assed turbo. Not buying someone else's problems.

That looks like a mess. Unless you want to check compression and/or leakdown, and if it runs great, then you can try and get even more cheaper and part it out. Parts are probably worth the 3k if motor is good.

Back