• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Vector to Viper Upgrade???

Well, after all the positive comments, I picked up a 2015 Viper L-TX DX with 3900 kms (2500 miles) on it and finally took it for a ride after work today. It took a few miles to get used to the stabby throttle and jerky engagement (compared to the Vector) but after a while I started settling into it. This Viper has the Curve XS skis, Woody's Dooly carbides and 96 studs. I've never driven a sled with studs before so I was a little unsure with the handling. It turns out I love this set-up, no darting whatsoever.

I'm not sure if there is a transfer rod type adjustment like the Vector but it's set just right: a little ski lift on hard acceleration, dead flat in the corners and a hard dive on the skis on let-off for those corners needing a little more love. The rear suspension is awesome at soaking up the chatter bumps and does a pretty good job with the bigger whoops and moguls. Standing up to take the odd jump feels really good even though I'm still recovering from the worlds bumpiest ride up in Cochrane last week. Thank god for the great trails around Kirkland Lake, thank you Golden Corridor Snow Drifters for a great job grooming again this year. They were table-top smooth this evening but don't tell anyone, I don't want to be invaded like they are up in Cochrane, too many crazy Arctic Cat riders.

The previous owner was under-tall and put a short 4" riser on it and had the bar moved way forward. I moved it back so I wasn't nut hugging the steering column and the riding position improved greatly. I'll have to hunt around for a stock (5 1/2"?) length riser or maybe an adjustable one but until then, it's OK.

The knee pads really came in handy when hitting the brakes hard, something I rarely ever used on the Vector 'cause speeds were limited by the rough ride and crouched position. All I can say about the acceleration is WOW! I've never felt such quick acceleration on a sled before, I got the same pukey gut feeling I get when taking off in a jet plane. Top speed on a somewhat loose snowy trail was only about 140 km/hr (87 mph) so now the wife will blow by me with her 2012 Vector LTX on the lakes.

Overall, I'm really impressed with the sled's acceleration and ride quality.

Out with the wife for a ride tomorrow so I hope she doesn't ask to ride it or else I'm back on a Vector I'm sure!
Thats Awesome! Congratulations

Back