• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Viper pro-x or xrs

donkickit

Pro
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 viper ltx se
We'll after having 3 perfect yamaha sleds, I may be jumping ship.
The viper sounds good but a lot of negative reviews. The Polaris pro-x (axsys) has incredible reviews and the skidoo xrs always on top. I have had the apex, nytro and phaser all been puuuurfect. Any suggestions?

Although they're have been some issues with the viper, I wouldn't let it detour you from buying one over the poo and doo. Aside from the 2 factory recalls, the other issues like loose lines and what not are pretty small in figure , and if you've got a good dealer you can have them go over all that for you for piece of mind. The oil codes can be avoided by adding more oil then the manual calls for, and a roll over valve eliminates the priming if the oil pump. Some have had the hot start issue, other haven't. From what I gather, if you turn the key and allow the fuel pump to do its full cycle, followed by a complete start of the engine, this problem disappears to. There will eventually be a re flash for the ECU available form both Yamaha and AC. I was in the same boat you were when I ordered my viper, but after some lengthily research and my dealer spending the better part of a day walking me through the viper, the choice was obvious. Keep in mind Doo has suffered major crank failures, and Poo is known for soft pistons. All brands have there faults, but the viper is equipped with a proven bulletproof motor, that will most times outlast the chassis it sits in. However, your guaranteed an engine rebuild with th 2 strokes every couple of seasons, wether it be for preventative measures or because of a grenade. Spend some time on here researching the viper in depth, and get your dealer to go through it with you. I think you may find the viper isn't so bad after all. Just my 02 from a guy that was in your shoes to

The viper sounds good but a lot of negative reviews. The Polaris pro-x (axsys) has incredible reviews and the skidoo xrs always on top. I have had the apex, nytro and phaser all been puuuurfect. Any suggestions?

Ah yes....the dreaded, "I'm on the fence" question. I too was very unsure what sled to go with for MY15. It seems that the more experience you have with this sport, the more unsure you are about pulling the trigger on a specific make/model. Possibly because the price of these things keeps going up or maybe our riding style changes as we get older. Who knows....

Knowing that I was going to Spring order by April of this year, I made it a mission to spend a lot of time demo driving as many makes and models as I could. Unfortunately, I did not have the opportunity to test drive the new Poo AXYS or the new Doo w/the the RAS2 front-end.

The Poo AXYS is very nice and creative, but 93% of it is brand new. There's not a solid enough track record for me to be comfortable enough to purchase one in its first year. Plus, the color and track options are mediocre at best. This chassis will have its own ticky tac issues similar to what the VIper experienced in MY14.

The Doo is another great machine and in my opinion is definitely better in the fit n finish and also DIY accessibility departments. The 2015 XRS is truly going to be a sought after machine this year. The rear skid allowing rebound and compression dampening adjustments along with the new RAS2 front end will make this machine a trail weapon. However, Doo is not known for their long term dependability. "Buy them and ride them for 3-4 years and then dump them," is a quote from my local dealer that sells all 4 OEM's. I rode my buddy's '14 MXZ X and yes, it was really fun. Very flickable and easy to throw into the corners. I didn't like the nervous twitch nor the heavy steering it exhibited though. I believe the new RAS2 may have corrected this.

There was no other machine that gave me flatter cornering along with a high fun factor as the Viper (the new 6000 Cat was a very close 2nd). Again, my opinion is that the L-TX offered the best balance for flat cornering, quick acceleration and minimal push in the corners and I'm definitely not a long track guy. Couple this on top of a very consistent and reliable motor and you've got a winner!

The Viper is in its second year and should be better and more refined. Keep in mind, more people will hit the forums with negative comments as opposed to positive ones which may skew a persons purchasing decision. All these machines are great today compared to years ago. You simply need to figure out what suites you best for your riding style and just go with it.

Well this is easy..viper all the way, the rest are junk. Lol that's just a joke. The hype this year is on the Polaris, last year it was the viper, next year it'll be someone else. The reviews are all going to point towards the newest sled in design simply because it's new. The viper is no doubt going to be the "safe" bet since it's a second year sled now which really had no major issues like other brands. If I was in the market for a light weight mogul masher it'd be the new pro x. But for myself, an average trail rider wanting all around performance, I'd buy another viper in a heartbeat

Has there been any confirmed dyno numbers released? I have heard of anything yet but could be wrong. I know they said 15% power to weight increase. But they dropped a fair amount of weight so I don't think they're seeing 160hp.. 150-155 maybe. When it comes right down to it it's all about how the chassis can put the power down. I think the fun factor of the axys will be second to none. The few r-motion skidoos I e ridden don't offer any fun factor but at the same time the viper prolly wouldn't to seem people either because of how planted it feels and it's awesome handling don't make it seem like much is happening because it's not lofting the skies in the air but to me that's what I like most about it. I think the pro x is going to be top sled for 2015 for 3 reasons: it's new, they have great shock packages and they now have a sled with enough hp to compete with the other 800s out there. I've said it many times before, out of the new doo, cat and Polaris 800s I've ridden, tho it's no doubt lacking in performance, the pro r 800 is the most fun 2 stroke out there because of how easy it is to ride it and completely feel in control. Hopefully they've added enough power to the new ones to compete with doo and cat in flat out performance because for myself that would be a deciding factor

Here is something to try. Call a few dealers and tell them you have a 800 rush with 3000 mi on it. See what they will give you for it. The motor problems Polaris has with the 800 has made it hard to sell or trade and if it blows a piston once Polaris will cover. Second time you are on your own. Buddy had this happen. Parted out sled. I hope the new 800 is better. I would let time tell or just get 600 if you go that route. We have all wanted a Yamaha engine in a sled that handled and was fun now we have it. Most all that we are doing now is adding performance to a already great setup. Viper is a sure thing.

Good point there cannondale. Last season my buddy picked up a used pro r 800 switchback with 1300 miles. He thought he got a steal at $7000. To me that's a great price for a 1 year old sled. Now it has like 2500 miles on it and is saying that he is going to dump it after this year because he don't want a 2 stroke with over 4,000 miles on it. Guess I can't blame him there. No doubt the 4 stroke yammis have a good resale value!

I'm going to write this wanting everyone to know that I have ordered two switchbacks axys one 800 Pro X for me and a 600 Pro S for my wife. I still have my Viper, but I might trade it in. With that said...Everyone is right they all have there problems! My Nytro was bullet proof, the Vector was bullet proof! But my Viper was not. Many problems. True it's the first year. Yes the 1049 is the best motor you can get for a sled. Not the fastest, but a great peppy sled!! The Viper has many faults however, and to be true Yamaha guys we have to admit this! ECU, Clutching/Belts, hot start, chain case either chain breaks or chain case is broke etc. IMO the rear shocks need major improvement, exhaust/muffler exploding, leaking of anti freeze, roll over and that is not fixed by simply turning the key off and then back on. So there is a lot around the 1049 that is not reliable. Simple fixes maybe, but for 13,000 dollars it should be fixed. However the Viper handles on smooth trails like no other, have not yet rode the Axys on trails to confirm that. But the Viper does handle great. On SMOOTH trails. Shocks would almost need to be revalved, or changed. No adjustability really in the rear skid. And then there is the speed. Now tons of people on here including myself have spent additional money on more HP. There is a lot of stuff out there to get more HP depending on how much you want to spend. The 800 poo and doo have around 160ish HP. So to get the Viper in that range will cost more money, or exceed that and even more money. Yes of course you can keep it stock too and just spent the money on a stock sled. But with the others you get a great shock set up, and for the poo you get LED lights a hood that comes off in 30 seconds. For cheaper than the Viper SE or LE. So for the cost of the Viper to match the others you can get by with a rebuild if needed. I have had built 2 strokes that have went 6000+ miles. So there not that bad. But it can happen that they don't get great miles. But they both offer a 4 year bumper to bumper warranty. And I made sure of that. So there is some piece of mind. But like I said before they all have problems! And all great sleds. The Viper has so much potential it's crazy! That new trail turbo and a great set of shocks, PERFECT! But a lot of cash! I'm just going with the poo for two years to see what Yamaha has in store for us in 2017... And I can't wait. I want a Yamaha, but I want one that won't leave me stranded or at the shop for 3 1/2 weeks. Not saying the poo won't do the same. Just my choice, for now. But my heart is with Yamaha and I want them to come out with a light 800 class sled with the same adjustability you get with the others. Sorry so long, just wanted to explain myself. No bashing cause I love Yamaha and want them to succeed!! For me Polaris has to many good things going for it to pass it up! May not be that way in a year or two...
I know there are people on this site that say the Viper will keep up with the 800's and that is just not true, unless it has some work done to it. I have seen races with stock Vipers vs. stock 800's and the 800 always wins. Sure the Viper might get the jump here and there, but only for a few seconds then the 800 will pass it and continue to pull. I have also seen some (very few) but some stock Vipers hit 100 or so on the speedo. But most are saying anywhere from 90-95 mph. Which is great for a 135 HP sled, can't really ask for much more. But everyone said it was going to be that way (Yamaha and magazines). And that's why I got the turbo installed before I even rode it. But we all know the 1049 is NOT a lake racer. So to me it's fast for what it is! Stock 800's don't go much faster top speed. Just get there a little faster. Yamaha would have to do very little work on the Viper to make it bad #*$&@!! Or are they planning on something else and just using the Viper to buy time to do R and D for something that is a true Yamaha??

Don't forget when a piston goes it usually takes the case and crank out with it. Out of warranty best price I found for the 800 was 3500 for a long block plus labor. A few hrs of time tightening clamps and few hundred tailoring the shocks IF needed is all the Viper needs. The starting issues have got to be covered by Yamaha and chain case is fine now. Price for not worrying about how many miles I am putting on is priceless.

Cannondale, I agree 100%! A buddy of mine has a 2012 600 switchback, you know the more reliable motor of the two, and at 247 mile his motor blew and so did the rest of his riding.

Ya, I'm not saying ones better than the other. And Polaris has new pistons,for 2015. And if it grenades it's covered. Hope that doesn't happen!! But for equally equipped shocks and the mods to even out the two, would be more than 3500$. So I'll take my chances and wait for Yamaha to come out with there own model, or perfect the Viper. But I don't think bashing either one of the different sleds does anyone any good! I'm sure there are some 1049's that have blew up! Just like tons of 800 motors have went over 6000 miles. I've seen 350's go for over 400,000 miles and I've seen some done at 80,000 miles. Sure motor vs. motor the 1049 is way better!! Not every 800 blows up, just like not every 1049 last 10,000 miles. To many variables. I'm not knocking the Viper at all! But it does have problems! And down time might be as big of a deal as money to some!

Test ride , test ride , test ride , and figure out what one fits what YOU want out of a sled not what anybody else thinks is best for you ......

Test ride , test ride , test ride , and figure out what one fits what YOU want out of a sled not what anybody else thinks is best for you ......

Nicely said, and I agree 100000%!

I to went to the dark side this year, after being a yamaha owner for over 30 years!I have had many over the years never had to be towed back ever, broke a few parts but always rideable.lol, I told my buddies 25 years ago that if I had to ride a cat I would quit riding, good thing for other brands as I am not ready to quit, I went to a skidoo,I'm hoping I will only have to ride it this winter and then it will be back on a yamaha in 2016, pending good reviews at the end of the 15-16 winter .better yet a all yamaha for 16. Not real impressed with the ski doos flimsy feeling, but will see what all the hype is about, .i told my buddies, 1 major breakdown on this thing , and it will be on craigslist as fast as I can type up the add. I still have a few yamaha triples in the stable, so when I decide to ride something of quality I can ride old blue.lol. Still true blue yamaha, just lost my way this year. Old age?

Back