• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Viper Starter Issues?

jsr

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Arctic Cat/Yamaha
Is anyone else having starter issues with a 2014-2018 Yamaha Viper? Would really appreciate some help or guidance. Please DM me. Thanks.

what do you mean by starter issues. Does the starter not work?, is it grinding? or does the sled not start?

Yes, I had a starter issue on my 2014. I initially thought it was a battery issue as it would only turn over with a freshly charged or boosted battery (I have one of those portable boosters). I bought a new battery and the issue continued. I bought a starter at royal for $120 and replaced it. Started super quick and easy. I disassembled the old starter and noticed parts of the magnet on the housing had broken off. So Yes, these starters break. On the plus side, they're not too bad to change. Remove the oil filter (drain oil from bottom end first) and you have access to the bolts. The starter drops right out.

Reactions: jsr
Yes, I had a starter issue on my 2014. I initially thought it was a battery issue as it would only turn over with a freshly charged or boosted battery (I have one of those portable boosters). I bought a new battery and the issue continued. I bought a starter at royal for $120 and replaced it. Started super quick and easy. I disassembled the old starter and noticed parts of the magnet on the housing had broken off. So Yes, these starters break. On the plus side, they're not too bad to change. Remove the oil filter (drain oil from bottom end first) and you have access to the bolts. The starter drops right out.
Exact same scenario here. Stock starter must have been dragging for a while. With the new starter the sled turns over super fast. Maybe this is some of the cold start problems people are seeing? A dragging starter cant spin an engine over quick enough or at a consistent enough RPM to send a good crank signal to the ECU.

Hey -- thanks a lot. I sent you a DM.

What replacement starter do you use?

What replacement starter do you use?
I just ordered an aftermarket starter from eBay today. My starter piled up yesterday at 2200 miles. We had to tow the machine 16 miles out of the bush in soft snow. It wasn't fun. The adhesive that holds the field magnets in place let go. I don't know how they expected each magnet to stay in place with 2 little dabs of glue about 3/8 of an inch in diameter. I've been towed home twice this season and I've only been out 3 times. I'm beginning to lose my liking for these machines.

Back