• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Viper update

That's not funny but funny because the reason I fixed up my nytro was because my wife kept up with me on her Vector. So I bought a header power commander k&n air filters and a clutch kit. And the bushings and tuner skis and DuPont hyfax. So after over 3000 dollars I could beat her and every 800 I raced. I could beat stock apex and beat some modded 800's. So I figured I would just skip all that and just get the turbo for the Viper. I'm not worried about her anymore...lol

How responsive is the genesis engine with a turbo mounted on? Basically wondering about turbo lag? Drove a 250hp 1100 turbo last year and honestly did not like it at all on the trail as turbo lag made it hard to ride with any rhythm in the rough stuff.

Front mounts are awesome the old rear mount Benders were a bit of a beast lag then bam you have to learn to ride with the throttle depressed all the time to keep them wound but the yamaha with downshifting clutches keep them spooled up fairly well The S/C on the Nytros are crazy hardly notice any at all.

I ride throttle on all the time and dragging brakes into the turns use the power to sweep the track its like riding a dirt car.

Well I have not driven a turbo Viper yet,but I have driven a turbo Nytro and a 1100 turbo and I would have to agree with you on the lag. But the nytro the turbo was in the back so it took awhile for the turbo to get boost. With the viper all the tubes are right there and not far to go. I was told by Matt at MPI that the turbo lag on the Viper is almost non existent. I mean it's there but barely. So would be a lot better. The Nytro was not that bad. But it was there. I think the 1100 has more lag than the Nytro with the MPI turbo and the Push turbo. The Viper will be a lot better. So I'm not worried at all. I think it will be so minimal that it will be very user friendly!

I got a chance a couple years ago to drive a nytro xtx with the mpi 180 supercharger kit. Sweet ride that was and the power was right there! But I guess that's the difference between turbo or sc. Once you get some seat time on your turbo viper be sure to give us a good ride report on how responsive it feels with the turbo.

Oh for sure! I will give reports on everything. I love this sport and work all summer and have all winter off. So with snow that's all I do! Usually put around 6-7000 miles a year and travel all over. My wife has five weeks vacation so we get a good chance to go all over. I also drove a supercharged nytro and it was instant power but I felt like it ran out where as the turbo keeps pulling. Of course the supercharger takes power away from the motor as well as gives it power. The turbo has a little lag but always gives power once your in the throttle. This will be my first turbo sled. So from what I have driven I'm pumped! Should be a fast sled!

Got some good clutch testing done today on the viper. Dale from D&D is doing the clutching on it. First run of the day in stock form was 96.3. Don't have the perfect setup yet but sled is gaining nicely. Fastest speed of the day was 99 and some change, the 660 and 1000' et times are all improved as well. I was able to drive the sled right at the end of the day before it got loaded up and it's a lot different from when I dropped it off. Sled grunts really hard down low and pulls very strong. Will be an awesome setup once it's all done! Not sure if this has been verified yet or not but direct info from yamaha is that the ecu on the viper and the cat 7000 are different. All hp numbers from D&D were done on a 7000. My sled is going on the dyno tomorrow to see there is any difference in hp between the two sleds. Will update on that later. All in all I'm very pleased with how the sled is coming along. And as for the top speed run of 99mph. Today was a very slow day with bad snow conditions

Excellent info, it'll be exciting watching all of the development this season. Thanks much for sharing, looking forward to future reports.

The xf7000 that got spanked by the viper last week is actually running pretty well. Spring and helix change and it's pretty close to the viper in stock form however the stock viper is still faster. The way it looks is a completely clutched xf7000 is probably gonna be comparable to a total stock viper. Lookin good for us viper guys. Also there was a 2012 f800 cat there today that was all stock except for studs and clutching. Got to see the et times and the 800 and viper were very very close. Clutched viper will be right there or faster than stock 800s

Good stuff! Those 800 cats are pretty fast. I had a lot of upgrades in my Nytro and would beat them but not by to much...maybe 5 sleds in a 1/4 mile. Or so. Viper owners will like to hear that they are pretty fast and thanks for all the testing. I just got to look at my sled have not even heard it run yet so I'm jealous. Just a little bit of snow today maybe a 1/2 inch so I wouldn't be able to drive it anyway. Am heading to the UP on the 12th and should be fun. I'll let you guys know some numbers with the turbo when I get back.

Just talked with a local viper owner around my area who is coming off a nytro. He actually still has the nytro which is clutched very well but stock otherwise. He raced the viper against the nytro and said the viper pulled 2 lengths on the nytro. Top speed was the same but the totally stock viper got out quicker and accelerated harder. Also raced a stock 2010 apex and said they were even until 80 and then the apex started to pull away. I'm very pleased with my viper and it's great to know that it is going to compete basically with any sled other than the turbos

That's really cool! I was hoping it was going to be faster than the Nytro, but I did have my droughts. The Nytro was pretty fast. But if you tested them and the Viper won or was close than right on! Than they should be really close to the 800's out there. Hopefully faster with some good clutching.

I have no doubt that with a good clutch kit they will run with any stock 800 from the launch right up to top speed. Clutching it certainly gonna help the viper but in stock form they are pretty close to where they should be. I did hear dale say today that it's gonna be hard to gain much without adding more power. And we all know how well the 4 strokes react to more air and fuel and a good exhaust. In that case we will be walking right away from the 800 2smokes

Back