• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Wake up Raptor Forum!!! (Looking for an opinion)

earthling

Lifetime Member
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2021 SRX
2006 ATTAK
Thinking about buying a raptor for a summer project. Looking for opinions. I always am going to go for something on the sporty side even when my body says otherwise. My recent bike was a BMW K1600 GT and previous to that a series of sport bikes, the sled a winder and an apex before that, and I grew up on dirt bikes. I look at a 4wd ATV and all I see is something 'not sporty'.

A. I am sure there must be those of you that had/have a raptor and now have a Grizzly, Kodiak, or other manufacturer 4wd ATV. Do you miss the raptor? What is it you like about the 4wd?

B. There seems to be little difference over the years. Is this Yamaha getting the design right or ...?

c. Is my thinking off, I am sure a Raptor is more sporty than any 4WD but is the average 4WD sporty enough?

Do not care about gauges, or anything else. Looking for simple fun (simple to own, simple to ride, just trails, no mud, etc).

from the guys i have talked to, the raptor is well suited to spirited trail/fire road riding. the yfz450r is more race oriented than the raptor. there are guys out there that have put the time and money in on the raptor to make it handle like the higher strung 450.

i am more of a utility quad guy. i do have a full hunting season on my brothers grizzly 700 running 28" rubber. his was way more powerful and better handling than the big bear in my signature. was a much more pleasant trail/road ride and fairly comfortable to boot. it would try and lift the front wheels every time i smashed the throttle. considering one for my next atv as it has the diff lock over the kodiak 700/450 as i end up in a few swamps during hunting season and it helps me get through better.

If you go with the Raptor, get the 2015 and newer.
I have a 2005 YFZ450. I've spent time on both, and I find the fun factor higher on the 450's. I like the quick and high revving character of the engine.
I also still have a 1990 Warrior 350 that I bought in 1993. Still use it every year.

What changed in 2015 for the 700?

I hadn't considered the 450, specifically because it was described as an even more pure sport quad but I guess it all comes down to how you want to ride. I have ridden race prepped dirtbikes in the past and they are no fun for casual trail riding. Sound great, response is excellent, but suspension is setup to be ridden hard.

Thinking about buying a raptor for a summer project. Looking for opinions. I always am going to go for something on the sporty side even when my body says otherwise. My recent bike was a BMW K1600 GT and previous to that a series of sport bikes, the sled a winder and an apex before that, and I grew up on dirt bikes. I look at a 4wd ATV and all I see is something 'not sporty'.

A. I am sure there must be those of you that had/have a raptor and now have a Grizzly, Kodiak, or other manufacturer 4wd ATV. Do you miss the raptor? What is it you like about the 4wd?

B. There seems to be little difference over the years. Is this Yamaha getting the design right or ...?

c. Is my thinking off, I am sure a Raptor is more sporty than any 4WD but is the average 4WD sporty enough?

Do not care about gauges, or anything else. Looking for simple fun (simple to own, simple to ride, just trails, no mud, etc).
Years ago polaris and can am came out with 4wds with big displacement twin engines that were able to be as fast as the Raptor 700 and 450 competition quads. Then the trend became that you could still be fast in a straight line and go through big mud holes with 4wd.

Don't get, appreciate, or understand the big mud hole thing. I grew up riding big razorback sand dunes, desert, and fire roads. The mud holes were those things you rode around.

What changed in 2015 for the 700?

I hadn't considered the 450, specifically because it was described as an even more pure sport quad but I guess it all comes down to how you want to ride. I have ridden race prepped dirtbikes in the past and they are no fun for casual trail riding. Sound great, response is excellent, but suspension is setup to be ridden hard.
There was small changes in the engine and a couple other tweaks here and there. Can't remember exactly.
You'll get reverse with the Raptor.
I just like my 450 for riding down my gravel road and my farm fields and paths. If I need some stress relief, it does the trick. It's hammer down, I would normally only ride for up to 15 minutes at a time. I don't take it anywhere else. No trails here. It's a bit faster than a Raptor 700 in a drag race.

Don't get, appreciate, or understand the big mud hole thing. I grew up riding big razorback sand dunes, desert, and fire roads. The mud holes were those things you rode around.
I liked it in my 20's, but outgrew it. Don't even want to go in water more than 6 inches deep, as I know what it does to all my bearings, etc.

The guys I would ride with are putting in 50-100km days, none of them are super serious about ATV riding, not like they are about snowmobiling. Half of them would avoid a mud hole, the other half would happily spend half the day winching each other out of them (no thanks). I would probably get bored about 10k in and want to just play around on the trail. I will see whats around for sale in both the 450 and 700s. I am sure I would be happier on either than I was on the 4WD I borrowed in the past.

The guys I would ride with are putting in 50-100km days, none of them are super serious about ATV riding, not like they are about snowmobiling. Half of them would avoid a mud hole, the other half would happily spend half the day winching each other out of them (no thanks). I would probably get bored about 10k in and want to just play around on the trail. I will see whats around for sale in both the 450 and 700s. I am sure I would be happier on either than I was on the 4WD I borrowed in the past.
I have the biggest sprockets I can find on the front and the smallest on the back as when I do travel the roads I like to get there fast.
The 450 will GPS 83 and the warrior 75.

I hated the front heavy feel of my Raptor 700. Yfz was way more fun. I would seriously consider a Grizzly or even a 900/ 1000 CanAm. Even for Dunes. The power/ride of the newer 4x4 atvs is unbelievable. And won’t need paddles.

I hated the front heavy feel of my Raptor 700. Yfz was way more fun. I would seriously consider a Grizzly or even a 900/ 1000 CanAm. Even for Dunes. The power/ride of the newer 4x4 atvs is unbelievable. And won’t need paddles.

Was it that the back end was loose or that the front end steered heavy? I used to race 3 wheel (ATCs) so I am very familiar with the feeling of the solid axle rear.

Was it that the back end was loose or that the front end steered heavy? I used to race 3 wheel (ATCs) so I am very familiar with the feeling of the solid axle rear.
When you get a little air it felt like a anchor was on the front bumper. Front would drop fast unless heavy on the throttle. It was very noticeable. Probably something you could get used to easy enough alot like a Nytro sled on jumps.

I can grab my buddies XT-P 1000, its on the list. Problem is, if I like it --- another 20K ziinnnnggg out the door.

Back