• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

WARNING!!! 08 Yamaha Nytro spindle broken!!

snowmanx

While riding about 40-50mph the drifts through a open field that I farm, I was jumping over some snow drifts about 1.5 - 2 feet high and in mid air I watched my left front ski spindle break off my nytro and fall away out of sight. As soon as I hit the ground what was left of the front spindle caught in the ground and sent me for a slam against the ground. My friends riding with me said that my sled end over ended several times. I hit the ground with such force that I blacked out for about 3 min. I came away with a concussion, sprained finger, bloody nose and a few bruises. Lucky for me to have had a helment with a full facemask as some part of the sled when it rolled over me cut through the first layer and mostly through the second layer of the face shield. Because it was 30F the winshield poped off and no plastic pannels were broken. The main dammage to my nytro was the broken spindle,bent steering tie rod,broken off hand gaurd mount, bent lower a arm ( from smashing in the ground) bent all 3 pieces of the tunnel (top - crunched, left - twisted, right - bent very bad, rear axel shaft bent, handlebars bent slightly. I will post some pictures of the sled when I get back over to the shop. I took pictures of the spot the accident occured and there was no rocks, logs, holes, ditches, only snow drifts. I did a search and i'm not the only person that this has happened to, in fact yamaha has had this same problem on the race sleds. Yamaha should have a recall on the front spindles so this doesn't happen to any more people. I'm just thank full that I wasn't in the woods when this happened and I wasn't more badly injured - or killed. I'll be making some calls to yamaha about this issue. I looked over the unbroken right spindle on the same sled and It looks fine. This problem makes me afraid to ride this sled again even when I do get it fixed.
Everone that owns a nytro should very closely inspect there spindles for cracks or damage. mine broke clean off right above the lower a-arm bolt, snaping the bolt after the casting broke. I will post pics of the spindle and the rest of the damage caused to my sled because of this faulty part.

Wow glad your OK, post some picts of the cracked spindle, lots of metal geeks on here may be able to help figure out how it cracked, possibly a factory defect? Those things should be plenty strong from the factory I would think.

If mine were going to break they already would of going accross 3 footers at 90 down salmon river and no failure. Its sort of hard to believe you didnt hit something to do all that damage

double tap from unpride. First off, glad to hear you are pretty ok, thank god! Next, I too would like to see the pics. I am not by any means calling you a liar, I just want to see the damage, what broke etc. I will check mine next chance I get, but I have put it into the end of a waterbar several times at 30 and had no damage, not sure how much more I can put it through before I expect it to crack.

Once again, glad you're ok!

Sorry unpride, but 90 mph over 3' moguls ain't happening. I hope it's just a figure of speech.

snowmanx, I'm glad your ok. Jeepers, this could have happen to anyone of us. Not to sound like an #*$&@ Snowmanx, but I hope this is just a isolated incident. I'd hate to make my wife a widow at such and early age, and lets not forget about my 2 daughters.

Glad to hear you are okay! If you can, I too would like to see some pics. Anybody know of a homemade dye penetrant we can use to check for microscopic cracks?

You can go to any welding supply shop and buy Die Penetrant and the Developer. It's pretty simple to use, just read the directions. Of coarse I have no idea what it may do to the finish but you could try it on the bottom to see.

Attachments

• Test1.jpg
    Test1.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 167
True!!! just didn't want anyone saying that the developer toasted the finish on their spindle. I agree if I was concerned I would check them in a heartbeat. You can always clean them and refinish if it's that big of a deal.

Snowman07 said:
Sorry unpride, but 90 mph over 3' moguls ain't happening. I hope it's just a figure of speech.

snowmanx, I'm glad your ok. Jeepers, this could have happen to anyone of us. Not to sound like an #*$&@ Snowmanx, but I hope this is just a isolated incident. I'd hate to make my wife a widow at such and early age, and lets not forget about my 2 daughters.
Actually saw 94mph on the dream meter in the rough stuff. With that suspension setup right the faster you go the smoother it gets and doesnt fade or bottom. Fastest ive seen was 104 on Salmon River Road on the plowed part with ice on it. It had more!!!! :-o

unpride said:
Snowman07 said:

Actually saw 94mph on the dream meter in the rough stuff. With that suspension setup right the faster you go the smoother it gets and doesnt fade or bottom. Fastest ive seen was 104 on Salmon River Road on the plowed part with ice on it. It had more!!!! :-o

I like the way you think! :Rockon:

unpride said:
Snowman07 said:

Unpride
Please PM me with the top speed that exceeds 104 in conjunction with your suspension settings that allow 94 in the rough.
Sorry guys back to the broken spindle topic.....

Back