• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Warning, -16 late build Viper turbo breakdowns, bad rods.

I want a yzx but the rod issue poses me off . Best motor out there except the apex and they "improve" it!

Yes and I can confirm there has already been rod issues with the side by side with the same motor with MPI turbo and not because of the boost controller.

Is this the same motor they supercharge in their waverunners? I sure hope so! Haha. To the guy with the Evo turbo and suicidal 16 engine.. you knew the problem before you boosted it. I feel bad for you but at the same time if boost was that important why didnt you do the smart thing and wait for new rods??

Is this the same motor they supercharge in their waverunners? I sure hope so! Haha. To the guy with the Evo turbo and suicidal 16 engine.. you knew the problem before you boosted it. I feel bad for you but at the same time if boost was that important why didnt you do the smart thing and wait for new rods??

Nope

That's a fair enough question. Couple things. First when I spoke to my dealer when I found out about the rods, he called around and talked with multiple people including Yamaha, and then called me back and said the rods were fine, only those crazy Canadians are having problems because of low altitude....
Second, I had hoped that he was correct, and while I waited for Corillos to be design and built I also hoped I could get away with the lower pump gas setup. Originally I was going to run there 275 tune. Which I remind you is safe on all prior engines.
Unfortunately for me, Corillos just come out and the next week my engine self destructed...
I get the argument about not riding it, ride it stock, yada yada. In my four month window to ride sleds, and 20k invested in this sled, it's a pretty hard sell to tell me not to use it because they give me a sled with a different engine then i bought, and if it breaks it's my fault... But sell away..

My intention is not to start a war, but Yamaha cannot be held liable for those of you who made the assumption or had the expectation that these motors were the same as in the past. I understand Yamaha announced changes to motor, and stated their would be no adverse effects. The problem here is, that statement only applies to their warrantied/unmodified sleds. They have no commitment or liability to the individuals who void their warranty and install aftermarket kits.

Sounds like the engineers have done their testing, and the factory boosted 5psi is acceptable.

Neverless, if I owned a 2016...I'd too would be pissed! It's just that I see both sides of the coin here.

My intention is not to start a war, but Yamaha cannot be held liable for those of you who made the assumption or had the expectation that these motors were the same as in the past. I understand Yamaha announced changes to motor, and stated their would be no adverse effects. The problem here is, that statement only applies to their warrantied/unmodified sleds. They have no commitment or liability to the individuals who void their warranty and install aftermarket kits.

Sounds like the engineers have done their testing, and the factory boosted 5psi is acceptable.

Neverless, if I owned a 2016...I'd too would be pissed! It's just that I see both sides of the coin here.
If it's acceptable then why does the website still claim that the turbo is not available for 2016 models. Thought they were going to change that but it's still there now. I'm riding mine and so far so good ( 300kms ). Planning a trip to northern Quebec in a couple weeks. You can imagine how I'm going to tense up every time I bury the throttle when I'm 50 miles away from the nearest town. Not the way I wanted to spend my time on my first brand new sled.

Explain this sentence from Yamaha Press Release
· The quality and durability of the engine has not changed. The engine meets the same level of quality assurance as the previous version.

That statement is still 100% true to Yamaha. You do not know what their QA program is like. But they likely QA/inspect/test the new weaker rods and all other components in the same way as existing parts.
The tests are likely of the "Product must not fatigue before XXXX lbs" or something similar. The new and old parts could both pass this test.
Yamaha can't be held liable for the guys that take advantage of the "contingency" (aka safety factor) of their parts.

But i do bet a good lawyer could argue that both ways! This is just my opinion, don't take it personally boys, if I owned a new viper I would be arguing the other side that's for sure!
The real issue (and what would be my biggest worry) is the test of time!

That statement is still 100% true to Yamaha. You do not know what their QA program is like. But they likely QA/inspect/test the new weaker rods and all other components in the same way as existing parts.
The tests are likely of the "Product must not fatigue before XXXX lbs" or something similar. The new and old parts could both pass this test.
Yamaha can't be held liable for the guys that take advantage of the "contingency" (aka safety factor) of their parts.

But i do bet a good lawyer could argue that both ways! This is just my opinion, don't take it personally boys, if I owned a new viper I would be arguing the other side that's for sure!
The real issue (and what would be my biggest worry) is the test of time!

I call BS! This is not over yet, My prediction is there will be more failures with low boost kits as the winter moves on - just give it time. I would have nothing to do with a 16 unless is has pistons and rods.

I'd agree with ya there. If they are breaking down this easy and this soon...one bad batch of gas and a bit of detonation will likely take them out.
But wait, they likely log knock counts on the ECU so Yamaha would probably fight that too.....bummer.

If MCX found issues at 6 psi then I am certain the MPI trail kit will fail over time, and who knows maybe the stock engine is no better than a stock 800 two stroke now.. I can't see how you can argue the point for Yamaha. Any way you look at it, it is not the same as the previous engine. The buyers of the 2016 were in the dark about it the entire time..

If MCX found issues at 6 psi then I am certain the MPI trail kit will fail over time, and who knows maybe the stock engine is no better than a stock 800 two stroke now.. I can't see how you can argue the point for Yamaha. Any way you look at it, it is not the same as the previous engine. The buyers of the 2016 were in the dark about it the entire time..

This is the bottom line. No one knew there was a new engine coming until the sleds where on the floor. Many people already owned the sleds before they knew. I was one of the (on the lucky side).
Spring power surge. Awsome deal!! Cheap Dealer installed turbo!! Read all about it.
No mention of owe ya. Only the early 16s won't break down.

Yamaha is the only one to blame. They should be paying for everything when it comes to new rods and blown engine repairs.

Yamaha clearly did not deliver what their advertising promised. I wonder if this could ever become a legal issue? I guess as long as they pay for any failures they are covered.

Yamaha is going to be recalling or replacing EVERY motor Turbo and NA of that I have no doubt. Probably not for a while yet but it will happen. Sucks to lose ride time if failure occurs but they will do this to fix their mistake. Have faith. Things move very slow at Corporate level.

Back