• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

west side of upper

dab102999

Expert
I am going to be on the west side of the upper for the first time. Going to be staying in rockland for 5 days. Going to try and do the tip of kewanaw one day. Goegibic and porkupines a day. Boon falls or something like that one day. Any other must see spots.....also food and gas would be helpfull...any input would be great.

Pat's Yamaha in Greenland for gas and Yamaha service - good dealership!
Adventure Motel in Mass city has lodging and a great breakfast. There is a gas station down the street.
Krupps gas station near Twin Lakes has gas and great home cooked food. They're on trail 8 north of Mass City/Greenland.
Parkview Lodge near Twin Lakes has lodging, bar/restaurant. They're on trail 8 one quarter mile north of Krupps, opposite side of trail.
Ramada Inn in Hancock has lodging, bar/restaurant. As soon as you cross the Portage Lake lift bridge, turn left and you'll run right into it.
MM Powersports (Yamaha service) directly across street from the Ramada. Great Yamaha service!

These are just to name a few. If you ride to Copper Harbor, You may want to fill up with gas before you eat. I'm not sure what time the filling station closes, maybe 5 pm. There is food and lodging up there at the Mariner. There is another restaurant or two up there, but I can't remember the names.

Just got back from there. Krupp's and park view lodge are on trails 3 not 8.

As for things to do and places to eat... lake of the clouds is awesome if you have never been. A trip up to copper harbor is doable from Greenland Rockland area. The scenic outlook on trail 3 into copper harbor is also awesome if the day is some what clear out. Greenland to copper harbor is roughly 97-100 miles one way. Trail 3 is the fastest(almost straight shot). Bond falls is also said to be awesome but I've never made I that far.

For fuel there are a ton of fuel stops but as said some close early. Best is to fill up before 5pm and plan your distances accordingly.

As for food there also a ton of places. On lake Gogebic you really can't go wrong(hoop n hollar, fish tales, lake Gogebic lodge, Rootcellar). Henrys in Rockland. The mariner in copper harbor. Chars cafe in Bruce's crossing.

There are a ton more so I just named a few. If you have any other questions just ask and I'll see if I can help.

These pics are from the copper harbor outlook on trail 3. I think you can pick me out.

Subaru2006

subaru2006 said:
Just got back from there. Krupp's and park view lodge are on trails 3 not 8.

My bad, sorry.
Thank you for correcting me. :drink:

Lake of the clouds is a must see, then drop south on trail 11 from there and hold it to the bar. One of the funnest high speed trails I've ever been on.

Thanks all...peppermill is where we are staying..she said closest gas is mass city to the north..I know about henrys..but I assume no henrys for breakfast so where is the closest for breakfast each way from rockland.....also what is closest gas (diesel) to the south...want to top off before I get there and really dont want to drive north to get truck fuel to turn around and head back south..we are going to be rather late arival on sat.

There's fuel in Rockland at Henrys.(hit or miss) sometimes thier pumps wont work. Fuel at pats Yamaha in Greenland both before mass city. Bp in mass city off from the trail just need to follow the signs.

There are not to many places for breakfest. That town is mostly bar food type.

Not sure on diesel. For us we come up through WI and fill up in minocqua/boulder junction. So with your direction I'm not sure.

Peppermill looks nice, been by there a million times. Right by the trail.

Lake of the Clouds is nice and a fast trip. You can go up through Ontonagon and over to white pine then up to silver city and over to the scenic outlook. Trail 11 is fast and wide(highway) and trail 1 is fast and hilly also fun.

Subaru2006

West side of UP is great. As people have stated...Lake of the Clouds up in the Porkupine Mts is great...and Bond Falls is as well. Leave Bond Falls and head east through Bruce Crossing...make sure to stop at Hoppy's bar in the tiny town of Kenton on trail 3....fill up at Sidnaw (they have premium now)...and then turn north right in Sidnaw and head through the Sturgeon River Gorge area. Probably the best trail in the entire UP. Some beutuiful look outs. You can get up on top of Silver Mountain as well on sleds if you know where you going...

We have a bunch of land and a camp near Kenton. Been snowmobiling the west end of the UP for 25 years. Ask me questions if you have any...

One more thing...this may be a legend or true...but many locals swear by it. Apparantly, someone once accidentally drove his snowmobile right off the cliff at the Lake of the Clouds lookout. Was driving his sled up the hill leading to it in a snowstorm and dropped right off it. When your up there looking down over that cliff...think of that! Makes your rear end pucker up so bad you'll suck the seat cover off your sled next time you get off...

ccrider said:
One more thing...this may be a legend or true...but many locals swear by it. Apparantly, someone once accidentally drove his snowmobile right off the cliff at the Lake of the Clouds lookout. Was driving his sled up the hill leading to it in a snowstorm and dropped right off it. When your up there looking down over that cliff...think of that! Makes your rear end pucker up so bad you'll suck the seat cover off your sled next time you get off...

I've always heard that up there too.

Just wanted to say thanks to all for there sugestions on places to go. Managed to get 900 miles on in 4 days. Saw lake of the clouds, porcupines, bond falls, sturgeon river area, lake gogibic, and up the tip to high rock. Great snow everywhere we went and only down side would have been the cold temps.

I know its to late but for breakfast stop at PIT STOP bar across from PATS YAMAHA, excellent brunch breakfast I think they serve till 1:00pm. and hope Jimmy's there great story's from him.

Def pit stop! Awesome food, how were the trails up there, or how was 13 and 3? We were up that way last weekend and was told grooming funds were low.....not sure how true that is but what I heard. The main drag (13/3) was prob the roughest I have seen and that was Friday night and early Saturday morning. Have to take the loops that people don't take to get decent trails while traffic is high. Lots of rental sleds ripping around up there too!

Back