• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

West Yellowstone

kyleg

Extreme
Hey I'm planning to go to west yellow stone next year for about a week with about ten sleds and 20 people including kids. I think we have a house lined up. Is there anything I should know? Is there restrictions for exhaust noise? Any trails that are better then others? Things to see other then the park? Any info would be great thanks?

I was there last year with 10 guys for a week at end of feb. great time, rented a house, outside hot tub, heated garage, in island park village, no ethonal in the gas and its cheap. :)

You mention the park... Keep in mind there is a huge difference between West yellowstone, and Yellowstone park. Snowmobiling inside the park is very, very limited. A limited number of operators are permitted to guide groups, using their sleds (or snow coaches) which are extremely choked down to meet yellowstone standards. (or at least it was that way a couple years ago when I was there.) There is next to no private snowmobiling in yellowstone, and zero off trail.

Anyway, you might have already known that, just saw the comment about the park though... West yellowstone, completely different topic!

Yes Yellowstone park is very restrictive, I was talking about Lionshead, and West Yellowstone area which are outside outside of the park.

Yeah not wanting to go into the park for those reasons. Might do a snow coach tour if it's not too expensive. Just looking for more info on the area from people that have been there

hello myself and family go to west Yellowstone about every third year in the winter and every year in the summer snowmobiling is great two top trail and black cannon are a must lion head is also great but check for avalanche danger first. stop into one of the motels and check the list of trails they groomed the night before and ride them out in morning there are two roads in town that snowmobiles are not allowed on so be careful they are marked well there is gas stops but at 6666 to 11000 feet altitude you wont gas up more than once a day the park is pretty but with all the restrictions is costly and a joke park rangers are A holes locals will seconded that there is one trail cant remember the number but it borders the park and is marked ... stay on trail when you see this trail rangers wait in trees to write big tickets good luck have fun may see you next year

Thanks that's the kind of info I was looking for. Is there any exhaust noise restriction on the trails or in town? I have the hindle exhaust and it's a little loud so not sure if that will be a problem. Thanks again

not sure about the noise thing my wife and I have 4 strokes with stock exhaust and everyone else in our group rents sleds you would think id remember by the sound of other sleds but im guess im in my little world out there try Montana Wyoming and Idaho dnr web sites or maybe call a few dealers in west Yellowstone good luck

Back