• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What are the best shocks for winder?

I currently have Elka Stage 5 shocks all around on my Viper LTX (137) but I am not really taking advantage of their full potential. It has kind of been a "set & forget" thing. I may put them up for sale because I could probably use the money I could get out of them for other things. Nice shocks, but might not really be needed for me. I would assume they would also fit any Sidewinder LTX as well.

Custom Axis!!!

I currently have Elka Stage 5 shocks all around on my Viper LTX (137) but I am not really taking advantage of their full potential. It has kind of been a "set & forget" thing. I may put them up for sale because I could probably use the money I could get out of them for other things. Nice shocks, but might not really be needed for me. I would assume they would also fit any Sidewinder LTX as well.

I think that your experience is a good example of why the QS3 shocks have caught on. If I had bought Elkas or Axis shocks, it definitely would have been a "set and forget" thing for me. The difference with the QS3's is that it is so quick and easy that I find myself actually making adjustments on almost every ride. On my last ride, starting in the early morning with frozen hard trails and ending in the early afternoon with beaten up soft trails, I adjusted my shocks 3 times to match the conditions. Just as importantly, each time I adjusted the shocks, I felt the difference, and I was glad I made the adjustment.

I leave it to the experts like Cannondale as to who has the best quality components and design, etc., but in terms of everyday usability, I don't think you can beat the QS3's.

Qs3r Kashima are 5/8" shafts(17/18 LE models)

While the Qs3(no rebound/no Kashima) are 1/2" shafts.

I once thought this too Dan but unfortunately our center shock on our LE's is indeed 1/2" shaft but still an incredible shock especially after installing the dsc. I have same sled.

Rob.

I have a Sidewinder XTX 141 and went with Custom Axis for my skid shock replacing the float, bought from HyGear they had my weight, the sled AND BUILT ME A SHOCK. well first ride out the shock was harsh so i kept adjusting until i was as soft as i could make it and it did improve some on small bumps anything larger it would bottom. Stiffen it up and it is harsh again on 6" studder bumps. It has rebound and comp dampening but there is no adjustability because the base is just way too stiff.. call hygear and they want to keep telling me how to adjust the shock after explaining i have spent way too much time adjusting instead of riding. I suggested different valving but they were too busy to do it in the middle of the season so i finished out the season on suspension that was no better than my original Float shock after spending a lot of money and actually rode worse than the float. I also have the same sled in the Viper model, XTX 141 that GF rides. on that i put QS3's on the front the same HyGear pro linkage as on my Sidewinder on the rear only the viper still has the Float with dual presure. the Improvement was so good with the QS3's that the viper rides very well, even with the float under the rear. Like clutchmaster said for the money and the base set up its hard to beat the Fox QS3. I wish i went that route, now i am pissed with a Axis that works like #*$&@. I spent a good amount of money at HyGear and when i needed something done i got the too busy cold shoulder. I cant just drive out of my garage to test my suspension then make adjustments, it has to be done on planned trips that i am towing hundred's of miles to ride. then you cant get service from the shock builder until maybe summer when the season is over then wait to see if its right again when the snow fly's? take it from someone who made the mistake and paid for a custom shock and got beat up all season because it was not right... STICK WITH WHATS BEEN PROVEN... FOX QS3's

Most customers who think they know what they want usually get stuff back from ross way too stiff unfortunately.

I was thinking about putting in the dsc on my rear qs3r, and what I really want is a good spring adjust nut and a GOOD spanner wrench for my center and fronts, any ideas if you can buy those separate?

I have a Sidewinder XTX 141 and went with Custom Axis for my skid shock replacing the float, bought from HyGear they had my weight, the sled AND BUILT ME A SHOCK. well first ride out the shock was harsh so i kept adjusting until i was as soft as i could make it and it did improve some on small bumps anything larger it would bottom. Stiffen it up and it is harsh again on 6" studder bumps. It has rebound and comp dampening but there is no adjustability because the base is just way too stiff.. call hygear and they want to keep telling me how to adjust the shock after explaining i have spent way too much time adjusting instead of riding. I suggested different valving but they were too busy to do it in the middle of the season so i finished out the season on suspension that was no better than my original Float shock after spending a lot of money and actually rode worse than the float. I also have the same sled in the Viper model, XTX 141 that GF rides. on that i put QS3's on the front the same HyGear pro linkage as on my Sidewinder on the rear only the viper still has the Float with dual presure. the Improvement was so good with the QS3's that the viper rides very well, even with the float under the rear. Like clutchmaster said for the money and the base set up its hard to beat the Fox QS3. I wish i went that route, now i am pissed with a Axis that works like #*$&@. I spent a good amount of money at HyGear and when i needed something done i got the too busy cold shoulder. I cant just drive out of my garage to test my suspension then make adjustments, it has to be done on planned trips that i am towing hundred's of miles to ride. then you cant get service from the shock builder until maybe summer when the season is over then wait to see if its right again when the snow fly's? take it from someone who made the mistake and paid for a custom shock and got beat up all season because it was not right... STICK WITH WHATS BEEN PROVEN... FOX QS3's

I think many people are under the impression that the more money they spend the better their ride will be. Sorry that’s just not the case.

I was thinking about putting in the dsc on my rear qs3r, and what I really want is a good spring adjust nut and a GOOD spanner wrench for my center and fronts, any ideas if you can buy those separate?
When you find a good spanner wrench let me know. Been looking for ages

Back