• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What does the SR in SR Viper stand for?

Mills

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'14 Viper RTX, '06 Apex, '99 SX 600, '74 TL433F, '79 Trail Fire
might be a dumb questions but what does the SR in SR Viper stand for?

It doesn't stand for anything other then what Yamaha calls the SR chassis. Sort of like the Vector was the RS and the Nytro was the FX. The last Viper was an SXViper and this one is an SRViper.

I also believe by adding the prefix they can get away with using names that might already be registered trademarks. I believe when Chris Reed was talking about naming the Sidewinder they lucked out that no one had the name registered so they did not have to worry about adding the chassis prefix. If they had it probably would have been the SRSidewinder.

Agree with how it is or has been used by Yamaha but I also wonder the reason for SR and old RS. There is nearly always a logical explanation.

Semi Retired seems about right.
Retiring Soon for RS.... :)
Hope it's not true though.

SRV = serious recreational velocity and was a legendary 80's yamaha sled with a 540 single carb fanner . For some reason the Phazer got all the love from the press starting in 85 but the SRV was by far more comfortable and faster . Put twin carbs on them and the speed and mpg got better . Mine with shaved head and mild porting would put the speedo on 90 . By far the fastest most comfortable fan cooled sled of the day.
SR Viper is the continuation of that theem but sadly in comparison the viper is no SRV ....... That's my story and I'm sticking to it

It doesn't stand for anything other then what Yamaha calls the SR chassis. Sort of like the Vector was the RS and the Nytro was the FX. The last Viper was an SXViper and this one is an SRViper.

I also believe by adding the prefix they can get away with using names that might already be registered trademarks. I believe when Chris Reed was talking about naming the Sidewinder they lucked out that no one had the name registered so they did not have to worry about adding the chassis prefix. If they had it probably would have been the SRSidewinder.
Actually, Scorpion marketed a Sidewinder in the 80s. It was a rebadged Arctic Cat ElTigre. Brad Hulings won the world championship on one.

Yup I have that poster in my bedroom I had a Scorpion TKX . The sidewinder was a different motor than the 81 Eltigre but when Cat came back in 84 they used the sidewinder motor in the new 84 Eltigre

Back