• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What is a good GPS to purchase

Montana 600 runs excelent up here in the north i have run it in -45c not a hicup great gps

I know I shared this in other threads. But it was a cool way to find that setting after a fast run in Michigan! 113mph on GPS!

Hey that's a neat feature. Learn something new every day. Any tricks to get the time to display after it goes to the map?

I don't think we can trust the top speed part. I looked at mine and max speed was 101mph with moving avg 133 mph My sled doesn't go that fast. I also have looked at the tracks and from data point to data point have seen it show 158 mph. The heads up display must do some averaging to come up with the reasonable figures that it does.

Hey that's a neat feature. Learn something new every day. Any tricks to get the time to display after it goes to the map?

I don't think we can trust the top speed part. I looked at mine and max speed was 101mph with moving avg 133 mph My sled doesn't go that fast. I also have looked at the tracks and from data point to data point have seen it show 158 mph. The heads up display must do some averaging to come up with the reasonable figures that it does.
Not sure what you have going on but I KNOW we can trust the top speed part. If not go by the speedo it reads 1mph fast and I have seen 110mph on mine. Those numbers sound good but are not anywhere near as accurate and repeatable as the GPS. Sure you didnt have that thing in one of your hopped up diesels at one time? Max speed is always there till you reset it.

Thanks everyone for the reply's. I downloaded an app for my phone and will test it out this weekend.
Maybe for next year I will look into some the the GPS that you guys have suggested. The Garmin one that Cannondale has looks pretty good!

I have tried for years to replace my Garmin 60CS with my iPhone. It just isn't worth it. In really cold weather the battery will fade fast even plugged in. Invariably my track log goes out for some reason. I got $100 minimum in mounting and waterproof case. Finally it's easier to get trail map sets for actual Garmin devices. The Nuvis can offer a limited but very economical solution but I want more option available on map logging devices like the Oregon and Montana. I ll be watching the net for the best deals for a Montana 600t for the larger more readable screen. The Oregon 600 can be found refurbished for under $300.

I have a Garmin Zumo and use it on the viper and motorbike with a mount. It mounts on top of the stock gauge and clips in and out easily.
Fully waterproof and a decent sized screen as well. I have all the trail maps loaded on it as well as music. Pricy but worth it :)

I've been using a Garmin Montana for the last couple of years.. Excellent unit.

If you plan on using a smartphone with a gps app, be prepared at how quick your phone will lose its charge. If you can, try to hook up your phone to the power outlet on your sled.

i bought a barely used nuvi 500 off ebay, works awesome leave it on the sled over night -30s no issue at all, waterproof and awesome with ontario sled map on it....it will route your trail for you and find stores/gas ect....it also has boat mode.

Not sure what you have going on but I KNOW we can trust the top speed part. If not go by the speedo it reads 1mph fast and I have seen 110mph on mine. Those numbers sound good but are not anywhere near as accurate and repeatable as the GPS. Sure you didnt have that thing in one of your hopped up diesels at one time? Max speed is always there till you reset it.

The top speed reading was accurate on mine, as I wasn't riding the Viper, it was on my Apex XTX and I was smokin' Polaris and Cat 800's at the time! Conditions were pretty much ideal, that's for sure. And it was probably while my buddy was taking a pass with my sled, as I probably have 80lbs on him! HA!

As for the Nuvi not made for cold, you are right. It was meant for the dash. But these sub $100 pricetags, I will buy a new one each year! Heck, I have been running this 1300 series for 3 seasons now in very cold weather. First day out this season was -20f and we rode all day. It has had plenty of days in -10 as long as it was plugged in.

If someone is having issues with it shutting off from a low battery issue, they need to check their cables. As all Garmins will run of power with a dead battery. My battery is so shot, almost as soon as I shut off the engine, the low battery light will come on and I have about 2 minutes to fire it back up, or shut off the GPS. That's fine by me as it gives me enough juice to chat at intersections and what not. It boots quickly once the engine is back on.

As far as the screen, that's a non issue. Mine is on a RAM mount and I can adjust it on the fly if needed. It even recognizes day/night ambient light and will change the background for night riding. I sometimes need to dim the screen as it looks like I'm watching TV from my handlebars!

Go cheap, and spend the money on the maps. Emily at Red Pine Mapping has been putting out great maps for a number of years. And has a great pro-rated annual upgrade program for those of us that like to keep the maps fresh.

Good luck!

all Garmins will run of power with a dead battery.
That statement does not apply to the Nuvi 2595. I've tested, and proven it myself. It's the charging circuit that will not respond in the cold. No charging circuit, no gps. Other Nuvi's may work. But the 2595 appears to be unique. Probably why it is now a discontinued model. Be advised when shopping for deals.

I have a Garmin nuvi, I have loaded the map but only still displays road map vice snowmobile map. Backwoods trails is were I purchased the map. I uncheck road map check the sled map but still only displays road map... Any idea's?

I have a Garmin nuvi, I have loaded the map but only still displays road map vice snowmobile map. Backwoods trails is were I purchased the map. I uncheck road map check the sled map but still only displays road map... Any idea's?
Sorry can't help but will bump you up,may get noticed

Back