• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What is the preferred coolant type for the 4 strokes

Well since i dont have a clue what the coolant was and many ppl were sayin go green so i switched to the 60/40 mixture green, bled it out should be good to go, probly didnt hurt as it was but now its got fresh coolant flowin thru the veins :Rockon:

Just changed the coolant in my 04 warrior and the tester said it was 100% antifreeze.Replaced it with prestone 50/50 premixed.

low slung said:
Just changed the coolant in my 04 warrior and the tester said it was 100% antifreeze.Replaced it with prestone 50/50 premixed.

I have had a not so successful experience using regular automotive coolant in my Warrior. Weeks after changing the coolant noticed black rubber particles in the coolant reservoir. Changed it again with the same result. Went back to Yamaha coolant and traded the sled in.

Moral of the story is be careful what you are using! My experience was that the common automotive coolant killed my seals! Just my 2 cents..

BADSLED said:
low slung said:

I have had a not so successful experience using regular automotive coolant in my Warrior. Weeks after changing the coolant noticed black rubber particles in the coolant reservoir. Changed it again with the same result. Went back to Yamaha coolant and traded the sled in.

Moral of the story is be careful what you are using! My experience was that the common automotive coolant killed my seals! Just my 2 cents..

What brand did you use? May have something to do with silcon inhibitors.

7 skulls said:
BADSLED said:
low slung said:

I do not recall the brand used.. However, it was your typical Automotive coolant that I pickup at auto parts store. Just trying to save someone potential trouble with engine failure at some point.

BADSLED said:
7 skulls said:
BADSLED said:
low slung said:

I do not recall the brand used.. However, it was your typical Automotive coolant that I pickup at auto parts store. Just trying to save someone potential trouble with engine failure at some point.

There's a big difference between Dexcool and Prestone, what color was the anti-freeze you used?

In my opinion I don't any 4 stroked sled should be run with Dexcool (long life, orange fluid) it is for motors that are spefically designed to run it.

The prestone was green and safe for all autos(japan,north american,euro,etc).Years back japanese car makers would only recommend there own brand of coolant because the silicate in the other brands would destroy the water pump seals.Peak was the first to offer a silicate free coolant then follow by prestone.I read this on a top acura car forum.

Back