• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What octane do you run?

What Octane do you run in your NON boosted Nytro?

• 87 reg

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 89 mid

• 91 super

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • 91+

• Total voters

Supa Dexta

Expert
Lets get an idea of how many owners are running what.

Vote for what octane you run most often, lets try and keep this for non boosted sleds, as we already know you boosted guys are running higher.

It calls for regular so it gets regular. My hemi calls for mid grade so it gets mid grade. I figure someone smarter than me made that decision.

I run Premium just to avoid the ethanol. The Nytros are built and programmed to run on 86 octane or higher with no more than 10% ethanol mix. Pretty sure unleaded in MN has 15% mix.

Premium or me, I try to avoid ethanol at all cost in my toys and anything with a vented tank that might sit for a bit between use.

I should have put 91 but I usually add a couple of points with a booster.

No need to discuss why you all run what you do, the other thread going right now is doing that. Just want to see the numbers.

Supa Dexta said:
No need to discuss why you all run what you do, the other thread going right now is doing that. Just want to see the numbers.

You might have been better to run a poll about avoiding ethanol. Most of the guys that are running 91 or better are doing so just to avoid it. So areas where ethanol is in all grades or in none will change what people use. It's less about the octane rating and more a debate over how safe ethanol is. If I can get 87 without ethanol that is what I will run, but it's rare.

revster said:
Supa Dexta said:

You might have been better to run a poll about avoiding ethanol. Most of the guys that are running 91 or better are doing so just to avoid it. So areas where ethanol is in all grades or in none will change what people use. It's less about the octane rating and more a debate over how safe ethanol is. If I can get 87 without ethanol that is what I will run, but it's rare.
X2 REVSTER!!!

But then you guys turn around and fill your cars and trucks with it.

95% of this ethanol boogey man is just internet hype. Most of us will never have an issue with it, or have these engines apart for any reason, ethanol included. And if you didn't read something online. or if they didnt have to advertise its in their fuel, you'd go to the gas station and fill up with it regardless. I don't like the stuff, but I don't care either - I run my rigs as hard as anyone and its never caused me grief, so until it does low grade it is.

Do I trust it doesn't make its way into premium to begin with? not a chance.

Supa Dexta said:
But then you guys turn around and fill your cars and trucks with it.

95% of this ethanol boogey man is just internet hype. Most of us will never have an issue with it, or have these engines apart for any reason, ethanol included. And if you didn't read something online. or if they didnt have to advertise its in their fuel, you'd go to the gas station and fill up with it regardless. I don't like the stuff, but I don't care either - I run my rigs as hard as anyone and its never caused me grief, so until it does low grade it is.

Do I trust it doesn't make its way into premium to begin with? not a chance.

Internet Hype? I wish. I have a box full of pistons that says otherwise. The best engine builder in this neck of the woods told us to stop running ethanol and we did. We have not had an engine go down since. Now that being said a carb 2-stroke is much more at risk to the evils of ethanol then a FI 4-stroke, however it's still going to cause premature failure, and I plan to keep this sled for a long time.

The big difference with my truck is it doesn't sit. I burn through at least a tank a week so it's always fresh. My sled has had the same fuel it in for 3-weeks. I have kids in sports and I just can't ride as much as I use to so that fuel is sitting in my tank for a much longer time frame. There is also a big difference in the way my truck is tuned vs the small high revving engine in my sled. ......and the biggest one of all..... it has warranty and the sled engine does not.

But at the end of the day we can all run whatever we want. If there is an engine that can handle ethanol the Nytro is likely it. I just choose to avoid it as much as I can to set myself up for success. However if I am on a long ride and stop somewhere that only has ethanol fuel, I don't worry about it. I do go a little further out of my way to avoid ethanol with the Ducati tho.

Revster, because your sled has a power commander which I would assume is tuned on premium, does your sled run worse on regular?

toyota4runner said:
Revster, because your sled has a power commander which I would assume is tuned on premium, does your sled run worse on regular?

No it's not tuned to premium. The PCV that I have only adjusts the fuel curve on a plus or minus from the stock level. So at any given throttle % and RPM there is a corresponding cell with a value. So it only creates a leaner or richer mixture. They may have an add on that dicks with timing, I'm not sure, or the rapid bike systems get more into engine management rather then just AFR.

revster said:
toyota4runner said:

No it's not tuned to premium. The PCV that I have only adjusts the fuel curve on a plus or minus from the stock level. So at any given throttle % and RPM there is a corresponding cell with a value. So it only creates a leaner or richer mixture. They may have an add on that dicks with timing, I'm not sure, or the rapid bike systems get more into engine management rather then just AFR.
Ya Revster They have the PCV ignition module that allows you to adjust timing and even up your rev limiter.

your engine might not show any issues with ethanol..but your fuel lines, o-rings, floats, and gaskets will..and in a 2stroke i would avoid ethanol at all costs..it will hurt that engine over a very short period of time.. 91 ethanol free for me..and i still run Ethanol shield in every tank..

Back