• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

What The @#$% Now?

Spun on over 200 miles this weekend. Everything is running as good as it was last season. Fuel consumption is the same as it used to be now. Fuel light came on at 90 miles instead of 70 miles like my first trip this year.
Very happy with the new/old engine. The only good part of this whole deal is that I am 20k away from adjusting the vales instead of 9k.

Well the saga continues. Noticed an odd sound while on the TY ride. Thot I was being overly paranoid and was blaming my new helmet for the new noises I was hearing.
Turns out that I was not being overly paranoid and hlmrx1 also heard an odd noise from the sled. Sound like air was leaking around the airbox into the throttle bodies. Taking off the plastics help pinpoint the sound to the primary. Odd, I know.
Grabbed the primary and is was loose. Not loose on the stub shaft but loose in the gear reduction.
I am guessing that when the donor sled went nose first into the pole the abrupt stop hurt the gear reduction??
The donor sled hit dead on the front bumper and broke both bulkheads clean off. The steering linkage was the only thing hold the frond clip to the rest of the sled.
Will take it apart as soon as I have time but judging by the current weather I have till next season to get it back together again.#$%&*

Spent some time in the garage today. Took 5 hours to get from sled looking normal to having the engine on the table and the gear reduction countershaft removed from my old engine.
Split the case on the old engine to see how the shaft goes in. Looks like a real PITA to get that countershaft back in there with those gears and chain.
Going to order up the needed gaskets before I attempt the swap of the countershaft. Don't want my "oldtimers" to forget how things go and where they go.

Vid of primary moving.

Some pics of the mayhem
20200308_153831.jpg
20200308_162343.jpg
20200308_162348.jpg
20200308_162352.jpg
20200308_162339.jpg

Spent some time in the garage today. Took 5 hours to get from sled looking normal to having the engine on the table and the gear reduction countershaft removed from my old engine.
Split the case on the old engine to see how the shaft goes in. Looks like a real PITA to get that countershaft back in there with those gears and chain.
Going to order up the needed gaskets before I attempt the swap of the countershaft. Don't want my "oldtimers" to forget how things go and where they go.

Vid of primary moving.

Is that just a Bearing wiggling around...or....the shaft eaten and machines down. What's behind that loose piece the gear reduction?

Last edited:
What you are seeing is play on the outer bearing. It appears to be pressed onto the shaft so the assembly must come out. Looked easy to do until I found out that there is a gear and a small chain that drives the water pump and oil pump connected to that shaft. Quite the engineering they put in there to get that all together with the least amount of parts. :o|
20200308_162359.jpg

That certainly is Quite The Engineering they put in there to get that all together with the least amount of parts. It really does work well together when everything is good and working, quite the job to replace though. Is that stuff torqued down or Loctited at all ?

So you pull the pan, then waterpump, then remove the gear reduction. Good Luck Steiner, sorry about your luck with a used engine! Anything else while its out?
How hard is it to slip that chain back onto the sprocket of the gear reduction?
Any thing else while it's out? No. I just want this thing to purr again for now.
I do have a YC sitting on the shelf. Actually two of them sitting on the shelf. Have been procrastinating about installing one. The short seasons we have had as of late has delayed me from installing it. Don't want to spend the bulk of a season tuning and testing it. Now is a good time to install it but I don't feel confident about this motor yet, so it will sit another year.

That certainly is Quite The Engineering they put in there to get that all together with the least amount of parts. It really does work well together when everything is good and working, quite the job to replace though. Is that stuff torqued down or Loctited at all ?
I believe just torqued. I did see a few bolts that had thread sealer on them.

Back