• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

When is it time to replace front drive axle bearing??

SRX Boy

Expert
Got 10,000kms on my 2017 Sidewinder. I have not replaced or tired to grease the front drive axle bearing. For those who, given what you saw, what’s the right replacement mtce interval???

Better have a look and replace it and check your drive axle where the bearing race rides as it is common for the axle to turn inside the bearing and wear the axle.

Better now during summer mtce than have a failure on the trail in the winter!

7200 miles and mine came apart. Your playing with fire. No way I would go much more then 5k on a boosted sled. I gambled this year trying to make it through as I was planning track change. If you feel vibration in the brake lever when braking you better replace asap.
My 2 cents.

Got 10,000kms on my 2017 Sidewinder. I have not replaced or tired to grease the front drive axle bearing. For those who, given what you saw, what’s the right replacement mtce interval???
Right now! :drink:
I am 99% sure You will need a drive shaft :(or rebuilt this one whit better fit! :ban: Even whit chrome bearings assy, this bearing is glued in green locktight on my sled.

Btw the guy who did the chrome on my drive shaft, he had 16 on the shelf waiting rebuilt :eek:

This is what I found under my secondary after I FELT something that was off. Previous 100-200 miles I felt a very noticeable vibration in brake handle
9A6FE1BA-4A2B-4342-97C7-84847CAE63FB.jpeg

This is what I found under my secondary after I FELT something that was off. Previous 100-200 miles I felt a very noticeable vibration in brake handle View attachment 147926

When I saw that photo I checked to see if it was April 1st ... so what do you say, three ball bearings left is about the safe limit?

Right now! :drink:
I am 99% sure You will need a drive shaft :(or rebuilt this one whit better fit! :ban: Even whit chrome bearings assy, this bearing is glued in green locktight on my sled.

Btw the guy who did the chrome on my drive shaft, he had 16 on the shelf waiting rebuilt :eek:
Chrome on the drive shaft??

I have 9400km on my 17 Sidewinder and am thinking of changing the bearings also. Wonder if the chain case bearings should be changed also? Has anyone found better bearings to install for jackshaft, drive shaft and chain case bearings? Also going to replace my chaincase chain as mine has stretched a lot!

I have 9400km on my 17 Sidewinder and am thinking of changing the bearings also. Wonder if the chain case bearings should be changed also? Has anyone found better bearings to install for jackshaft, drive shaft and chain case bearings? Also going to replace my chaincase chain as mine has stretched a lot!

Lowers/driveshaft are 6009 bearings.
Uppers/jackshaft are 6206 bearings.

As I'm sure you know, both chain case bearings are running in oil bath which both lubricates and cools. That's huge compared to the other end where the jackshaft bearing behind secondary clutch is subjected to nearby exhaust manifold heat and high RPM. High heat and no oil cooling. Lower track drive shaft bearings live in a somewhat better environment - oil cooled and lubricated on chain case side. While there is a seal between the tunnel and this bearing on the brake caliper side, it is subject to high load, high RPM, and lots of vibration (lots of discussion on this forum about this bearing, etc). I think the two bearings in the chain case are fine (don't need to be replaced). I think that lower track drive bearing on the caliper side should be bigger on these sleds.
I did "service" the bearing behind my brake caliper at the start of this season and it looked fine. Haven't heard anyone talk about the bearing behind the secondary failing.

So, if you do decide to remove/replace/service the two bearings opposite the chain case, I would like to hear how they looked.

Back