• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

When is it time to replace front drive axle bearing??

I’m doing every bearing in my sled. And I mean EVERY. I do agree with the two inside the chaincase being less likely to fail. But @7200 miles it’s time IMO. Maybe 10 k would be more like the number for the two inside chaincase. But it’s coming all apart for drive bearing and possibly new drive shaft.

Once you get close to 10,000km it is time or getting very close to doing all 4 drive bearings (chaincase and clutch side)
MS

Once you get close to 10,000km it is time or getting very close to doing all 4 drive bearings (chaincase and clutch side)
MS
It's a big job too just do clutch side, for the cost of the bearings just do all four. You will have piece of mind for many miles ahead in my opinion

Y
It's a big job too just do clutch side, for the cost of the bearings just do all four. You will have piece of mind for many miles ahead in my opinion

For sure - if you are replacing clutch side you pretty much have to open the chain case up to allow the jack shaft out. At that point its do them all or nothing.
MS

Servicing starts today

Attachments

• 20190219_154932.jpg
    20190219_154932.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 517
This is my opinion, but check it every start of season or every 4000 miles, which ever comes first.
It's going to be relatively easy to check. loosen the track, take out the three caliper bolts and you'll know instantly if the bearing turned on the shaft or if it's seized.

No sence putting a new bearing on this

Attachments

• 1554245468784-557246932.jpg
    1554245468784-557246932.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 513
Thing is bearing is not siezed and rolls smoothly, so even if i checked it at 5000km instead of 10000km what differnce would it make.

You might have saved the driveshaft. Wow that got hot!

Im still trying to understmad how would i have saved the driveshaft? The oem bearing is not a pressed fit and can spin on the shaft. It has to or we would never be able to pull the shaft out. The oem bearing as found rotates freely. I dont think replacing the bearing at 5000 would have saved the driveshaft..maybe at best extend a season.

Only way is to pull the bearing as soon as possible dimple the #*$&@ out of the driveshaft , possibly a little green bearing retainer and re install. Personaly I dimple only. Never had an issue .

Only way is to pull the bearing as soon as possible dimple the #*$&@ out of the driveshaft , possibly a little green bearing retainer and re install. Personaly I dimple only. Never had an issue .
Excellent. How many miles you at now with this mod?

6000 on one sled and 7000 on another.

6,000 miles, my chaincase bearing failed, spun on the drive axle, had to replace the drive axle, all bearings, chain and tensioner. All covered under yes warranty. Discovered the damage while doing a track replacement, Ice Attack 1.22 was tearing off lugs, not covered under warranty.

Back