• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Which is it, too many conflicting stories..??

SledFreak said:
LJ 452 said:
It's difficult to describe by I'll try it this way. My Nytro, top dollar in its class, so with that you expect to ride a few seasons maybe wear out a few parts hear and there. After all you did pay and have heard nothing but great things about Yamaha's Fit and finish right. Then you get the sled, the skis suck, ok that's an opinion but a well agreed one at that. The ball joints are shot after a year, two at most. Bulkhead bushings were crap from day one, and now are even worse, require replacement. Spindles are ovaling at the ski mount holes. Then you get into the shock valving, which I will say seems to be improving each year, however still a far cry from comparable competition. Point is it seems with the Yamaha you pay up front for the engine tech, then you pay either the first year or the second to get it to were you can ride it like you could the compitions sled out of the box.

Now with all the mods and parts that people on this site build and offer, after a few years you sled will be dialed and durrable. There will still be things but relatively low annual cost. Exhaust donuts, bearings etc. This is were the tables can turn, after three to four years the other brands are starting to wear out and require major maintenance as well, if its a 2 stroke, well you may or may not have already been down piston lane. So in the end it comes down to a few key things. How long are you planing to keep the sled? If you change then out every two or three years, I would say your not looking in the right booth. If your going to go crazy having to fix sevearal shortfalls aka spend more money, same thing, move on. If you want a dependable engine and look at the sled as a platform from which to build a great sled, your in the right area. I decided after my Apex to try another Yamaha, there engines are intoxicating and addicting. The "small" but expensive and frusterating issues are opening my mind to others for the next one. Fit and finish are nice but a coat of wax on a hood doesn't make the sled ride better or last longer.
Flame away, but it's just the facts, as you've stated I've put more into both my Yams than anyone I've ridden with has put into their other brands. The majority of which is to fix bad designs, non-durrable parts, bad calibrations.

The good news, when it's done right, it's great. They really are awesome once you've done the mods and put the time in.

My opinion.

x2, that's it's in a nut shell.... Like I said in many earlier posts, if DOO comes with a higher hp 4 stroke and Yamaha has not addressed all of these small issues, then it will be very devasting for them, since DOO has shown longetivtiy and reliability and pretty good quality sled. It could even come this year and the smart thing for Yamaha would be to release a new version of the Nytro, like they did with 2011 Apex with all the small issues fixed with an increase in power and lighter and it will put them back in the ballgame.

x3. I've had to poor more money into my sled that I thought was possible. BUT now after all I have I think I will have this sled dialed into the best sled on a market for me. I'm the type of person that will find faults with anything. I did consider the xr1200 but I didn't like the chaincase in my foots way, and the lower seating position.

I love yamaha, but they don't give you a sled to ride outa the crate like the others do. What they do give you is a great long lasting backbone which you can mold into a great sled.

The basic problem with the Nytro front end is too much bump steer. This is what causes the sled to be uncontrollable in the rough, bumpy trails. The '09 geometry reduced the bump steer from '08 but it wasn't enough and the problem is still there. You will really notice how bad the front end is when you ride another brand of bump sled. When going into a corner filled with stutter bumps, those sleds hold their line, don't jig from one side to another and don't wiggle the bars back and forth in your hands.

Maxout01

I think we can agree that there is a pile of whining on this site...some justified.....some not. Maybe its just passion.

Perspective 1: Boom..bardier, Artic Pakk, and POW..laris ALL have their issues, namely the 800cc 2 strokes, and this is not a slam. Be practical people, there are good reasons why it is kinda difficult to make a fuel injected, emission friendly, start at -40F, run on crappy fuel 800cc engine that produces 163.2 HP. Reliable?.....so far no, and highly unlikely for a while yet. They boom, because we want them to make the absolute max power at the limit. Don't see too many people lining up for those 148hp reliable 800's. They don't make them cause we won't buy them.

Perspective 2: All the OEM's make a decent chassis. None perfect and ALL benefit from tweaking. Yami is no different.

I chose my 10 XTX Yamaha because I tried an 09 XTX and liked it. Roomy cockpit and THAT MOTOR! Changed skiis to Slydogs, tuned up the suspension and 7000km's later it has been a very good sled. Yes I will have to change exhaust donuts this year.....and slides, but thats about it. My good friend has 15,000km's on his 09, yes donuts last year and front end bushings this year. However, no engine stumbles, no blown pistons, no trashed motors, or gallons of injection oil....not even a tow!

I normally do about 200 miles a day when we trail ride and maybe 80 miles of powder riding when we head off trail. Its comfortable in both domains and yes I could easily ride more daily miles.

Would I buy another one....yes, but the competition is closing in. The AC 1100 NA, if it had a bit more power would really give the XTX a run for the money. And the BRP 1200, if they stretched it to a 144" track would also be interesting. Personally I don't need the weight and complexity of the turbos so I will stick with NA sleds 4 strokes in the 130 to 150hp range.

Every year the Nytro's get better, and for their on going idiosyncrasies you can always find guys on this forum willing and able to help you.

OTM

I owned an 08 RTX and have ridden a 10 MTX and XTX. I now ride Doo after the Nytro ended my yamaha relationship. I spent the last part of the 2011 season on a 1200 doo with an aftermarket turbo kit. Not pushing the turbo or anything just a testiment to the reliability I had I manged about 1500 miles in a few weekends with the turbo trouble free. The 1200 is an awesome sled that actually handles out of the box and truely needs NOTHING to run thousands of trouble free miles, unlike a nytro that needs skis, and carbides and shocks and who knows what else to make it work right like most guys say or come to the conclusion needs to be done. I split my season last year between an 800 etec renengade and a 1200 renengade and managed 8,500 km total in the seaon. I traded the 800 etec in only because I wanted a boosted 1200 more I traded it at 4000 miles.

Things I liked about the nytro, motor , seating position, confort, quality.

Things you cannot deny are poor handling, hyfax wear, balljoint failier, idler wheel failier, subframe bending to name a few I did have all those troubles with mine. Search back to 08 posts if you want to see my whole saga but I had a SC on mine and everything it was a big loss.

This season I gambled and ordered an XF 1100 turbo limited we'll see how it goes :)

AKrider said:
I hope to read a ride report about your new Cat!

You absolutely will good or bad, I have a back up on order with my Doo dealer / buddy that I don't have to take just incase ;)

I will tell it good or bad, I bought a first year rush as well, it was scrap maybe they have improved em dunno check out the HCS rush section for my saga with that sled. In short plauged with electrical probs poor ride, over heating terrible gas and oil mileage.

I had a 2009 xtx for one season. After seeing my buddies having absolutely no issues with their RX1's and Apexs I finally made the switch from Polaris to the Nytro. I had a number of problems and switched back the following season. Handling was lack luster at best, but I didn't spend a lot of time tweaking. My engine had a stumble that they could never figure out at the dealer. After doing some research I saw that other people were having a stumble as well. Then their is the issue with the snow buildup in the tunnel. That really got annoying. The sled already weighs a ton and now your hanging 50lbs of ice under the rear bumper. Total bullshit. Then their was the issue with the ball joints and bushings up front. There were fixes for that, but just another Shitty design. Then their were the cold #*$&@ hand grips. Yet another expensive fix for that too. Then the subframe issues started popping up everywhere. No fix for that tho.... Then their was the abnormally fast hyfax wear....etc.etc. All this was going on while my buddies Apexs were running like a top.... So I personally would stay away from the Nytro until Yamaha fixes these issues, but I am a little jaded I suppose. Good luck.

I was disappointed in the amount of money I had to dump into my Nytro so I was happy with it. ....and I'm still spending more.

If this engine lasts as long as it's supposed to it will be all worth it and the sled will have been a successful purchase. If the engine fails around or just over when a 2-stroke would have then this sled will be a failure for me. I won't be able to pass judgement on this sled till it hits 10,000 miles. At 4600 now.

eightpilot said:
My engine had a stumble that they could never figure out at the dealer. After doing some research I saw that other people were having a stumble as well.

I'm very curious to learn of your and others engine stumble. Mine has never had a stumble, and I do not personally know of any engine problems in Nytros. Can I assume that the engine stumble was due to some type of airbox mods? Respectfully submitted.

X2 on the Nytro engine stumble. Heard one or two mention it, but never seen it firsthand or from friends who drive Nytros.

And to those complaining about the Nytro, come on, lighten up a little guys.

I would have to agree- the bad skis, slider issue, and cheapo bushings on my Apex (which all irk me big time) are nothing compared to the issues with a nytros. The issues that snowmobile continues to have is inexcusable. The sled as been out for four model years and still require a separate loan to pay for upgrades to make it rideable.

I know one Yamaha die hard that is a pretty darn good tuner that doesn't even allow nytros in his garage..

rindtj said:
I would have to agree- the bad skis, slider issue, and cheapo bushings on my Apex (which all irk me big time) are nothing compared to the issues with a nytros. The issues that snowmobile continues to have is inexcusable. The sled as been out for four model years and still require a separate loan to pay for upgrades to make it rideable.

I know one Yamaha die hard that is a pretty darn good tuner that doesn't even allow nytros in his garage..

Yep. No excuses for such seemingly easy fixes. Overall a ton of people are very happy with their Nytro's, but I wasn't. Just my .02....

2011 XTX

Maxout01 said:
maniac said:
i had a renagade in o7 loved it but the motor went and i did just as much tweaking on it as my nytro i think you will like the nytro honestly best sled i have had

Thanks! As soon as i get my apex sold, i have a nytro in my eye already, lol!

I've found that here is NOOOOOOOO perfect sled of any brand. It ALL depends on what kind of ride you are looking for. I've added lots of goodies to my Nytro because I am a ADDICT. I highly recommend the 2011 or newer XTX for someone who wants to buy and ride if you are looking for an all around universal reliable sled. I used to race Ski-Doo and still love them, but the reliability of a Yamaha is unmatched! And I destroyed my 08 a month after warranty was up and Yamaha was still ready to stand behind it. Unfortunately, it was an insurance issue and I had to pay a deductible. I got into a 2011 XTX and would probably sell my first born child before this sled. I don't have any kids, so my opinion may be skewed. :drink: BIGGEST thing is if you're really serious, stick with a 2011 or 2012. They are worth every penny!

And to the rest of you HATERS! :bash:

Happy morning all! I have to say, this thread has really brought out the inner whiner in some. If it's not meeting your expectation, then make yours mods to what needs to be improved and be happy. It's all part of the fun!

Back