• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Which triple tuning fork should I buy as a 1-up runabout?

NaughtyPines

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
RS Venture
So I thought I would draw on the huge brain trust here at TY.

Right now I have a stable of two sleds - an old Polaris 340 long track that hauls my wood, maintains my trails and takes me ice fishing (or ice drinking as they call it around here). The other is a Yamaha Venture RS which I've enjoyed all season and will probably enjoy this afternoon. Somehow the trails around here are still pretty decent.

The trails around here are very twisty and narrow. Riding the Venture 1-up is not the best match for these trails - though 1-up or 2-up and headed out on all-day trips there is nothing I'd rather be on when I'm not in a rush. It's like riding my couch. I refuse to get another 2-stroke after having the convenience, relative quiet and lack of smelling like a weedwacker, plus I don't trust any other brand's 4-strokes.

Which Yamaha would suit me best for the tight and twisty trails of western Maine? It would be for going out and exploring, occasionally breaking trail, speeding around a bit, etc. Just a nice runabout. Lighter and flickable is best.

This made me think a Phazer would be a great option, but many people seem to say they are tippy and a lot of 'body english is needed. Still can't figure out whether or not I'd get a short track or a 144.

Then there's the Apex and Nitro - I don't know too much about those but I did get to pilot an Apex for a short while but it was not on twisty trails.

So for a runabout that would be well suited for twisty trails and having fun, what should I pick up?

Thanks in advance for all of your advice!

clip_art_image_of_a_happy_man_holding_up_a_mug_of_foaming_beer_0521-1002-2713-3553_SMU.jpg

Phazer XTX, as with any sled make sure to get it all dialled in for your riding style. The phazer does require a lot of body movement but not many can hang with it in the twists. The XTX is good off trail too best of both worlds.... The key is set-up!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

for everything you described including the couch feel i would go with the apex XTX of 2011-2015 with the tipped up rails some say it is a little stiff on the studders now that i have over 6000 miles on mine that has gone away but the star suspension kit is supose to fix that right away $300.00 add on and get snow trackers for the skis and you are ready for anything you just described.

Phazer XTX, as with any sled make sure to get it all dialled in for your riding style. The phazer does require a lot of body movement but not many can hang with it in the twists. The XTX is good off trail too best of both worlds.... The key is set-up!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been leaning towards the Phazer since I'll never go faster than 80 mph - is the XTX the long track?

Is the basic concept that it is a bit tippy but also willing to change direction the moment you think about it? Does the 144 track turn in a bit more sluggishly than the 121. It does seem like a longer track would ride better in the bumps but everything seems to be a compromise.

Thanks!

for everything you described including the couch feel i would go with the apex XTX of 2011-2015 with the tipped up rails some say it is a little stiff on the studders now that i have over 6000 miles on mine that has gone away but the star suspension kit is supose to fix that right away $300.00 add on and get snow trackers for the skis and you are ready for anything you just described.

If I could have only one sled that wasn't a 2-up it would certainly be an Apex from everything I'm learning.

A lot may disagree but if your under 6' tall I would suggest the vector. Same motor as nytro but power steering and more relaxed chassis than a viper. Also an all new setup on rear suspension this year plus performance dampers and few other upgrades. Very light ez steering and cozy ride aslong as your not out pounding through moguls. A nytro even and xtx may just be a disappointment to you. Coming from a plush ride. Just my opinion. But the viper rtx dx with heated seat and Coilover front shocks are very nice plush riding sleds aswell.

The 136-144 would bridge bumps nice but will never handle the tight twisty trails your describing any better than your venture.

I've been leaning towards the Phazer since I'll never go faster than 80 mph - is the XTX the long track?

Is the basic concept that it is a bit tippy but also willing to change direction the moment you think about it? Does the 144 track turn in a bit more sluggishly than the 121. It does seem like a longer track would ride better in the bumps but everything seems to be a compromise.

Thanks!
Yes the XTX is a 144" track and set up correctly will turn on a dime. The phazer is like riding a dirt bike leaning into the twists and throwing it around... This is what some refer to as being tippy...
I have a RTX it's a 121" and I can't even keep on ATV PRO #11's XTX's tail.
I've seen us pull about a 4-5 min lead on a PRO X 800 in the twists, which he killed us in the open...lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You should look at a new phazer xtx. It comes with a 1.5in 144 track and if you find a new left over, you might find one for the price of a used apex. It's also very nimble and quite capable of breaking trail to explore if that's your thing

To me the the answer revolves around the question of "what will be your percentage of off trail and breaking trail that you think you will do?"

The more off/breaking trail you're planning on doing the lighter the sled (Phazer) and longer the track (XTX - 144") you will want.

Honestly i think your budget is going to be the biggest factor in what you end up with. Don't fall in love with girl that won't date YA! That said I owned a 2006 Attak(136") a phazer GT and a Venture RS 2 up all at the same time so i have a pretty good idea of how they compare. Yes the Phazer can feel tippy when really pushed. You are correct the Venture is like riding a couch and without the proper set up it can handle like one as well. But nothing puts a grin on my face like the power of the Apex. I don't think you will ever get the plush ride of the Venture with an Apex unless you put some money into that skid. I am eyeing a new sled after trying an Apex XTX because i was so impressed with the feel of the power steering(2011-2016).

Yes the XTX is a 144" track and set up correctly will turn on a dime. The phazer is like riding a dirt bike leaning into the twists and throwing it around... This is what some refer to as being tippy...
I have a RTX it's a 121" and I can't even keep on ATV PRO #11's XTX's tail.
I've seen us pull about a 4-5 min lead on a PRO X 800 in the twists, which he killed us in the open...lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Things changed yesterday.

I was returning from ice fishing (great day) and the old Mule (89 polaris 340) finally disintegrated on the way home, literally leaving half of the skid and its suspension parts and bolts all over the trail. After stopping and picking it all up, I continued home with zero suspension, pulling a metal folding sled loaded with gear (auger, buckets, traps, cooler, etc.) with one of the torsion springs uncoiled and rubbing against the upper side of the bottom of the track making an ungodly noise. I can't believe I made it home. And I can't complain about the sled giving up - it has led a very hard life doing things it's not supposed to and done it far longer than I expected.

So - I need a new sled to replace it for sure. And I think I really want a long track Phazer. But here's the problem: While most of its use would be running around locally having a good time and a sled for the wife to use (I don't care that it doesn't ride like the Venture), I would periodically use it for hauling firewood and dragging my personal trails.

My personal trails are a little over a mile and I use a lightweight drag 4'x8'. My little 340 never had any trouble pulling it and I used to drag a 16 mile route, something I'd now use the club sleds for and not my personal sled.

I cut firewood and bring it up to the house for processing. Right now I'm getting rid of my heavy metal folding sled to replace with with an easy-to-pull Otter tub type sled. I only bring up 2-1/2 cords max a year since we never burn more than that in our little solar home.

Would this positively kill a Phazer or put undue stress on it? It seems lots of people do that type of work with a Venture MP or Lite which seem to be the same platform and engine as the Phazer. Am I setting myself up for trouble? If so, I'll just get another Poo 340 since they're simple and lightweight and run it 'til it dies.

Thanks for the help!

A the phazer motor will do it, but there are a couple of things to think about.
1. Yamaha does not make a hitch for the phazers. Most people that have put one on have just bolted one around the rear bumper which is only held on i believe by 4 bolts unless you get someone to fabricate one for you similar to the apex/vector one.
2. how the clutch is set on the phazer may not work well for towing at low speeds and may need to be adjusted
3.yamaha makes hitches for all the apex's and vector's that replaces the rear bumper and has a plate that goes inside the tunnel for extra support/strength(last weekend i pulled a 600lb wood cookstove across the lake with my rx1).
4. apex/vector stock/trail clutching tows good over 24mph continuous, towing under that heats up the belt/clutches fast and quickly decreases belt life
5. You can break trail and do off trail with a vector/apex(i have broken a 20 mile long trail on a apex xtx with mountain skis without getting stuck)

A phazer will do the job, but you will have to change some things. Phazer XTX would be the best one for what you would like to do but the vector motor is sweet and can be stop to pull(they do put it in the viking)

Back