• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Who's going to build the first side by side snowmobile

jkenosh

Expert
What manufacturer is going to build the first side by side snowmobiles. I remember 10 years ago thinking they would never take off. And now I see as many side by sides as I do atvs on the trail. I know skidoo used to build the elites bit I've never seen one

Doo already did

IMG_7816.jpg

There are a couple of Elites in my area, I see them occasionally. They are good on rail beds and lakes, but I can't see them on some of the current trails. They are just too wide.

I'm not sure about this whole side x side sled thing personally. It's kinda like the Segway - good concept but I don't see it working in reality.

We are seeing way more Side by Side or UTV's in our area with track kits instead. Those that want that configuration seem to go that way. Those track kits really let them get through the crap too. It's not a sled replacement, but a nice alternative. The old Bombardier and converted vans with track kits still rule Lake of the Woods in Northern MN.

I think the market for this is a utility machine and most are just taking there side by side and adding a track kit to it for less money then a snow specific side by side would cost. I think it would be used for ice fishing and such and the cost would be to great when a conversion would do the same and give them a all season machine.

Very small niche market for side by sides. They can have creature comforts that are appealing but for a on trail machine they are not up to par with the current sleds. I rode an elite and its fun but off trail and off camber leaves alot to be desired. Plus they are way to wide for most trails!

The Bombies and converted vans are job specific to carry a half dozen fisherman to their rented ice shack. Tourist outfitters love them. Having used Bombardier,s for checking nets they work well as a people or cargo carrier. 4 people and a half dozen crates of fish and nets fit in one quite well! Then come to a road switch to tires and cruise!

Back