• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Why is my sled slow?

SIKEWARD

Expert
I just got from my 1st trip with my 08 nytro. I was feeling confident racing againist my friends after how everyone here raves about KILLING other sleds. Out of the hole I was the fastest but not by sled lenghts. It was more like a ski length. Also once I hit about 50mph I was getting wasted by 2002 srx's. Here is a list of the sleds I raced.

(2) 2002 srx. One moded one stock
2008 artic cat cross fire (I don't expect to beat him)
2004ish artic cat zr800 (would imagine he would compete like he did)
2008 Dragon 600 (this was the only sled I was some what concerned with)

I am 220lbs with my gear on. My sled has 144 1.325 pics and the front limiter is pulled down two holes other than that completly stock

Is traction the problem or do you feel like you are hooking up good? If your not hooking up you can loosen that limiter strap and increase the weight transfer.

i raced a polaris switch back 600ho last night let off twice in 1/3 miles run and still stayed ahead of him with my xtx,my buddy has a shorty nytro and he pulled me by 1-5 sled lengths depending where we hit it and turbo polaris with some racing gas in it totally wasted us all from 0-100,trails were not good and i spun really bad out of the hole but even rolling starts i power spun 1/2 the time,gonna try it all again when we get some hard trails so its more of a fair fight

i have a little over 1,000 miles. I feel as if the sled is hooking up great. In fact I am amazed at how high the skis come off the ground. I would say the skis are 2-3' off the ground.

Yea but not pulling the limiter strap down and i am doing nothing but riding wheelies through the trees.

I know this sled is fast I just was a little disappointed that it wasn't faster. Guess i'll have to work on that this summer.

What are a few upgrades you guys suggest that are bolt on, won't void my warranty and improve acceleration. 100mph is fast enough for top end I would just like to get there faster.

I didn't see you around Bessemer last week - could it be that I was just way out in front of you?

Physics would suggest that if your skis are coming off the ground 2-3 feet during your drag races you're not going forward as best you can. The energy to move your sled forward is, instead, going into holding it up in the air. Shorten the front strap by two holes and try again. You want to keep a high percentage of your track in the snow and have your skis just dancing on the surface at take-off.

Redo your races 6-8 times and the Arctic Cats will puke a cylinder, which will slow them down considerably.

I already have the limiter strap pulled down two holes. If I pull it down any more trail crusing will be impossible. I noticed just with it pulled two holes at normal speeds I was using a lot of muscle to steer the sled. Running hard on the trails it handled great. Who ever wrote this sled likes to be handled like a whore is right. I just don't feel like those other sleds should have kept up and passed me the way they did. I'll have to play with keepin the skis down.

Re: top end

Bpatch50 said:
Daranello said:
Pulling the limited strap down will hurt your top end

Why do you say that? Pulling up the straps should increase top end.

Cause when I was doing some testing on the lake I pulled up (tightend) the limiter strap and lost 2mph (must be from extra drag on the front end).

Aftee I put the staps back to the stock setting and my speed came back.

only 1 of those sleds you should be beating is the 600 dragon.

Back