• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Will a clutch kit kill clutch rattle?

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2008 Yamaha FX Nytro 136, mountain fit vent kit, oft steering relocate, mountaintech skid plate, simmons flexi skiis with 6 dual runners, skinz front bumper, DDM Tuning HID lights, 55 watt ballasts with 4300k bulbs.

All done in one season.

That's is so far but much more on plate for this year!
I have researched this a bit and have heard that putting .020 shims behind spider on primary. I assume that is for a stock clutch set up because if you just added those in conjunction with a specifically tuned clutch kit that would throw all off right? Do clutch kits compensate for the rattle? Heard many ways of trying to fix it but all reports say most a temp fix. So wondering if there is a permenant fix? Will be getting into my clutching in next month I would hope. Steady plugging....

Last edited:

Newbie question. This my post above and wanted to start another just now on a diff topic and get a error message saying I don't have permission but I did to make this? Wtf! Lol

Small glitch I am sure...maybe you posted to fast...LOL
BTW clutch kits will not fix the rattle in most cases, its the slop in the washers between the weights and rollers.

Last edited:
Call schmidt bros they have a quiet kit for the clutch rattle. I put it on my Nytro and the wife's Vector. Its easy to install and quiets them down quite a bit. They don't show it on their website just call and ask them about it.

Pete

Call schmidt bros they have a quiet kit for the clutch rattle. I put it on my Nytro and the wife's Vector. Its easy to install and quiets them down quite a bit. They don't show it on their website just call and ask them about it.

Pete

x2 on the quiet kit...in my case it was around 50% noise reduction. It removes the slop in the roller pins. (and it isn't expensive)

Most everything from SBM is expensive! Its probably a set of plastic washers for $50! A buddy of mine once bought a tuning kit for $35 that consisted of the standard nuts and bolts from Ace Hardware!

Most everything from SBM is expensive! Its probably a set of plastic washers for $50! A buddy of mine once bought a tuning kit for $35 that consisted of the standard nuts and bolts from Ace Hardware!

see previous post...It isn't expensive...less than $10 if I recall... (and it is just non-metallic washers)

see previous post...It isn't expensive...less than $10 if I recall... (and it is just non-metallic washers)
So could I go to the hardware store and buy those? Can you tell me exactly what came on the kit to share with the other members so can be a diy?

So could I go to the hardware store and buy those? Can you tell me exactly what came on the kit to share with the other members so can be a diy?

If you do a search I'm sure you will find most if not all the details you are looking for as I've seen them previously. The kit included very thin non-metallic washers. I'm sure you can find them or make your own if you investigate what you need and do the research into where you can get it. This can be said for every single aftermarket part that you purchase and put on your Nytro or any other snowmobile. Those that don't require qty buys or special production support will always be cheaper if do it yourself.

This thread pretty much contains all TY knowledge on clutch rattle....
http://www.ty4stroke.com/threads/official-clutch-rattle-removal-thread-w-pics.114990/

Last edited:
I have seen people try many things to fix this. Shins behind spider, washer like u saying. Some last to the test of time and some did not. Never got a complete conclusion on what the true fix is that lasts the test of time. Def not fiber washers! If I bought this kit hey spoke of I would mic all out when I got it and post all as a free diy and cheap for the members is why I asked etc. Had he put a caliper to his kit with pictures and specs he would save us all and I could just run down to hardware store. If you are picking up what I am putting down?

Let it rattle. Only does it at idle anyways. Unless all you do is listen to it idle and not ride it.

X2. It doesn't bother me because I know it's not hurting anything. When the side covers are on with the insulating foam and I have my helmet and goggles on and it's 30 below I can't hear it much anyways.

Back