• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Will Code 12 (Crank Sensor) cause running issues?

robocopf7

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2006 Yamaha Apex GT ALL BLACK
Hello all, I recently purchased a 2006 Apex GT with 7300 miles in mint condition. When I picked the sled up from the previous owner, it seemed to be low on power when loading on the trailer, but otherwise was running okay. Upon restarting it when I got home it didnt want to start and stalled a couple times. I chalked it up to fouled plugs, as I have owned an FZ1 bike with the same engine and I had to put plugs in it. It was also pouring rain and mid 80s temp too when I doing this. Since getting it home and tearing in to it, I changed the plugs and decided to silicone the electrical joints (including the dreaded ground blocks). After doing this, I get code 12, which is the crank sensor. I never touched the crank sensor wire when doing it. I eventually was able to get it to start (once) and it ran fine. Next day it would crank but not start and pop through the exhaust and a little through the intake, but no code 12 was showing. I checked the crank sensor and its bad according to a resistance test. My long winded question is would the crank sensor cause running issues if it didn't throw a code? I also drained the fuel and added fresh too. Any ideas on the not starting issue?

if your crank sensor dont pass the resistance test it must be replaced and is prolly your whole problem. it can and will cause starting running and power issues as it is failing and be thankful you found it now as itcould have failed way out in the woods. good luck on the repair personaly i would replace the whole unit as it is a easier fit and the rest of it has been known to fail too. best to freshen up the whole stator and be good to go for a long time.

you can buy just the crank sensor from rmstator.com. Good prices, and exact same model as what comes stock in the apex. Replaced mine last year after my sled wouldnt start.

No problems since.

Good. I was a little worried that more could be wrong with it. For those that replaced just the sensor, how did you do the wiring? Looking at the pictures from RM stator, it appears that it comes with some wiring, but not enough to reach the front of the sled. Did you have to splice the wire somewhere or just at the plug?

you do have to splice into the factory harness. I did my splice on the opposing side of the case, to make sure it didnt get saturated with oil. Pretty easy repair.

i didnt no,

I should have, I do have a couple pic of the side cover off, but didnt do it as a DIY photo gallery.

If i have to replace another one, ill be sure to take photos.

Well a follow up on this initial topic. I installed a new crank sensor and it fired right up. I am wondering if the sled sitting unused for a length of time may be a culprit. Mine sat a couple seasons before I purchased it. Symptoms mine had were extended cranking (acted flooded) and a small amount of backfiring through the exhaust and intake while cranking. I spliced the harness about halfway by soldering the wires and left the CPS wire outside the loom. I then put a wire protecting plastic sheath on it. I forgot all about taking pics, but its pretty straightforward. I then zip tied everything nice and snug to keep it from flopping around. Reinstall the stator cover and oil tank, refill then your done.

Back