• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Will Darting be More Pronounced on Hard, Icy Trails?

Justin, we tried .625" total toe out per ski. That would be 1.5" total if measured off the outside of the ski and 1.25" if measured off the carbide bolts. We will continue to test with .375" per ski and .5" per ski. Keep in mind that Yamaha spec is 0 - .59" per ski. What we intend by releasing all this information is not to confuse people with jumps and changes, but to let everyone know what we found to work well and where we are headed in the future. After testing with the exact same setup @ .125" toe per ski, there is a dramatic improvement @ .625" per ski. I believe that a nice midpoint like .375" - .5" per ski will be ideal.

- Sean

www.CurveIndustries.com
www.RideWithRobbie.com

I have 1300 km on my XTX now. Running Simmons ski's on icy groomed trails I experience no darting problems. When I'm traveling over broken icy trail I'm fine at any speed. We've had a lot of rain after a bit of snow so off trail there is a coating of ice. Darting is scary here to say the least. Will tip and swirve fast almost sending you off. My buddy on his 600 Dragon has no issues. I can't keep up to him off trail on ice covered snow. Out on the lake I can't go 60 MPH without taking a risk.
On hard icy trails that are freshly groomed the sled rocks! That is if the trail is freshly groomed with a broken surface.
I think we need less preload here and maybe something to do with the rear skid for better balance.
There isn't a ski profile that will work here in my mind. My Apex did the same thing in these frozen conditions. It has to do with the weight over the ski's and preload on the front shock. Not much you can do here... I have my preload reduced to loose springs when the suspension is lifted now.
We all need a good foot of fresh powder then everybody's ski's will work fine and nobody will have any darting issues...

shanesz28 said:
best thing i have done is the pipe trick you can read about it on the apex fourm it works i have 08 rtx i can be going 80 take both hands off the bars it goes straight as an arrow i have tried icy road, rutted trails no darting and no drag try it you will love it

What is the "pipe trick"??

Back