• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Attak GT - Still darting with Snowtrackers

woodman427

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
07 Attak GT
I have an 07 Attak GT and overhauled it last summer before the season.

Rebuilt all shocks and revavled rear Ohlins to my weight. New oilin bushings up front. All bearings done, copper gaskets, 4th wheel kit and just about every wear item replaced. Machine is better than new with only 8000kms. It was senior owned and only ever saw ideal soft snow trail conditions.

I have the spring set in set properly and have the rebound / comp set for the rear setup so that works great. Very smooth. Still experimenting with the front comp/rebound on the clickers. Have skis at 0 and double checked after still experiencing some darting. Transfer between min and standard. Stock/longest setting on limiter strap. Machine sits on front part of sliders on rails when level on floor of garage. No inside lilft out of corners. We have had very little snow so trails are hard packed and icy in spots. Stock track without any studs. Low speed up to 50km/h the machine handles great and rails through the turns. Dialing up the speed on straight aways and the machine isn't as darty as it was before the trackers last year but still wants to "tramline". Not confident at all as speeds get above 75km/hr. There is 1 - 1.5" of play in the steering. I did lube the steering during maintenance but did not replace any bushings. No wear seen. Steering is smooth when the sled is lifted. Could the steering play be part of the "tramlining". Lack of studs in hard pack / somewhat icy conditions? Looking for suggestions on what to try next.

With 8000kms the suspension bushing will be worn out. 1.5" is a lot of slop in the steering. Snowtrackers will amplify this issue.

Thanks Steiner - I assume that would contribute to the "tramlining" effect I am feeling? Makes sense if I have to adjust 1-1.5" when the skis take up the slop on the trail.

Noticed the trail conditions you mentioned. Keep in mind if there is not enough snow for correctors to make contact, the sled will still dart as it is essentially no different than a single runner. This is even more amplified on aggressivies as the center runner is taller.

Noticed the trail conditions you mentioned. Keep in mind if there is not enough snow for correctors to make contact, the sled will still dart as it is essentially no different than a single runner. This is even more amplified on aggressivies as the center runner is taller.
Thanks for the reply. Makes sense.

You could toe out 1/2" to help with bad snow and loose handlebars. Honestly you really can't get much better then that for slop on the bars. You really need good conditions for zero toe.

You want skis at 0 toe. Snowtrackers will exagerate turn in (or out) bias based on ski alignment. Toe out makes the sled initiate a turn faster, toe in makes it turn in slower (track straighter, which means it will push). With your sled off the ground, ignore the steering input for a second and just check how loose the skis are relative to each other. The snowtrackers rely on that deep keel and correctors for primary directional stability, if you have skis fighting each other they will tend to dart. The more slop you can take out of the steering the better. You can't get all of it out so focus on making sure you are splitting the difference. Set up some reference lines on the floor of the garage or use a long straight edge and make sure you are accurate as possible between straight edge/lines and the carbide bolts on the ski (front and back). taking into account any slop you have.

You will probably want to take some pressure out of the front shock, with too much pre-load on the front shock the sled will want to pivot around the front of the skid and it will make the back end feel looser which feels a lot like darting or makes darting feel worse. A flat track will feel more stable. The front shocks should be loosened from factory with the a-arms near level. With my 06 attak (13000km of wear and tear) setup this way it was on rails. We have a rail bed near our place that just gets pounded, I can pin it down that trail and feel completely stable despite the dozens of fresh tracks going every which way down the trail.

Last edited:
I put on the aggressive Snowtrackers but needed to stud it. When crossing roads the track would just sit & spin as soon as the Snowtrackers hit the pavement. Love the setup now.

Bergstrom triple points and ski shims work!

Back