• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Windshield

poor farmer/logger

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2015 SR Viper XTX 2009 Yamaha Nytro XTX
Looking to get a windshield for my new sidewinder xtx. I’ve been looking online and at spring order pictures. Trying to determine if the medium windshield and the windshield that comes on the ltx gt and stx gt are basically the same. I’d prefer to get a clear windshield but it doesn’t appear to be a option from Yamaha. Part number 8NG-K7210-00-00 is what I was looking at. It almost appears to have a slightly different shape to it and maybe a little bit clearer to look through. It’s hard to tell profiles and color from pictures though and it even seems to vary between photos sometimes depending on which windshield they have on it. The 8ng is on back order at the moment. So just debating if it’s enough of a difference for the better to wait or just get a medium or tall windshield on order. Dealer has a medium sport on hand but I’m thinking that may be to short in the cold weather we ride in.

Photo from last week.

Attachments

• B4F0263E-AF2C-4A08-B4F6-B20DBADC131C.jpeg
    B4F0263E-AF2C-4A08-B4F6-B20DBADC131C.jpeg
    194.4 KB · Views: 214
Looking to get a windshield for my new sidewinder xtx. I’ve been looking online and at spring order pictures. Trying to determine if the medium windshield and the windshield that comes on the ltx gt and stx gt are basically the same. I’d prefer to get a clear windshield but it doesn’t appear to be a option from Yamaha. Part number 8NG-K7210-00-00 is what I was looking at. It almost appears to have a slightly different shape to it and maybe a little bit clearer to look through. It’s hard to tell profiles and color from pictures though and it even seems to vary between photos sometimes depending on which windshield they have on it. The 8ng is on back order at the moment. So just debating if it’s enough of a difference for the better to wait or just get a medium or tall windshield on order. Dealer has a medium sport on hand but I’m thinking that may be to short in the cold weather we ride in.

Sure seems odd you can only get a clear windshield when you go to the tall. All the other options are smoke basically.

Thanks for the references everyone.

Cause you will be looking through the tall one, most lower smoked ones you look over the top.

Sure seems odd you can only get a clear windshield when you go to the tall. All the other options are smoke basically.

Thanks for the references everyone.
Option of leaving top clear for sight and scuffing the bottom and rattle canning the bottom portion the color of your choice, scuff inside of windshield and paint, clear part then gives a good gloss to your color choice.

I think OP wants a med windshield that is NOT smoke but is clear so can see thru.

As for your suggestion of rattling can windshield, I used Plasti-Dip on the backside of mine and didn't have to scuff. Nice thing about the Plasti-Dip is if you want to go back to original, just peel off. Only downside is that you are limited in your choice of colors that Plasti-Dip come in.

Cause you will be looking through the tall one, most lower smoked ones you look over the top.
Yes this was my assumption. Still would be nice if they offered it both ways though. I haven’t been a big fan of the smoked windshields. I’m sure it hides scratches a little bit better but aside from that I don’t see the appeal to be honest.

Dealer a ways from me has a medium in stock so I may end up with that anyways. Expensive plastic though. 210 dollars. Local dealer was 180 but didn’t have one in stock.

Try, SMA-8LR96-20-SM Tall smoke windy from Yamaha. Here is a pic on my 2021. much quieter than the original windy. Basically same height with better protection on lower sides. My profile pic shows the stock clear that came on my LTXGT.

Attachments

• 318496307_714590923342286_5125417185810954235_n.jpg
    318496307_714590923342286_5125417185810954235_n.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 167
My brother picked me up the medium height one as that’s the tallest anyone had in stock. Hopefully I won’t regret not going to the tall version. Meeting up with him this afternoon to pick it up so I’ll get a chance to see it first had finally.

Well did a 100 mile ride yesterday and I’d rate it as adequate but not as good as my viper tall windshield was. It’s a little noisy around my helmet and you can definitely feel the chill more. Sled as a whole seems to be a colder riding sled then my viper. -30 days might be a bit of a struggle on this set up. May add some wind deflectors to the side panels to help some. I could feel the chill on my knees. I wasn’t cold by any means but I could feel it none the less. Temps were around 0°F.

Attachments

• FC512D2E-AE90-48A4-B9AE-5FFAD530E921.jpeg
    FC512D2E-AE90-48A4-B9AE-5FFAD530E921.jpeg
    185 KB · Views: 120
Well did a 100 mile ride yesterday and I’d rate it as adequate but not as good as my viper tall windshield was. It’s a little noisy around my helmet and you can definitely feel the chill more. Sled as a whole seems to be a colder riding sled then my viper. -30 days might be a bit of a struggle on this set up. May add some wind deflectors to the side panels to help some. I could feel the chill on my knees. I wasn’t cold by any means but I could feel it none the less. Temps were around 0°F.
Yesterday was a good ride! As I said yesterday, the flares are nice, keeps the cold air off my crotch, not sure what you thought of the gauntlets, but I feel like they block alot of the wind that hits my hands and body. If I break my current windshield, I'll be getting the cat one like my fathers

Back