• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

medium windsheild ?

RDPOWER

VIP Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2012 YAMAHA APEX XTX
i have a 07 apex gt with the stock windshield - i bought yamaha's tall sheild but hate the look and do not want to install the support rods into my cowl - does anyone have the medium yamaha sheild and is it larger then the stok 07 sheild ?

I baught a mid/low hight one last year. Used it once and put my stocker red one back on. It's black with chrome accent accross the bottom. I will probably let it go rather than looking at it hanging on the shop wall. Shoot me a price. Thsi windscreen did redirect the wind from my chest to the top of my helmet. Much warmer. But I didn't like the color mesh. I like my red windsheild. I'll just dress warmer. lol

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/acces ... etail.aspx

Vince

The mid height windshield that comes on the Apex ER, and whatever, as far as I can see are the same as the mid height in the Accessory catalog or in dealer stock (21" from front tip to top of shield and 14-1/4" from the flat floor surface to the top of the shield vertically) This windshield does a fairly good job with a full-face helmet. I'm 6'. Doesn't try to rip off helmet at high speeds like I have had low shields do. Hopefully PowerMadd Cobra will offer something in the future. They haven't had much time to do much since buying from Sportech.

I am trying to decide what to order. :o|

I was going to go with the "mid' 14 1/4 rather than the Mid low like yours BUT I like the looks of the mid low and was wondering if it would be warm enough?

I am 6' 2"m ride with either open face or Elec shield. Do you think I woud be hit in the face or over the top? Based on your experience whats your thought on the mid low. :ORC

Thanks Yamadoo

I installed the Accessory low which is the windshield he has and the one i have. The windshields we have aren't much taller but the shape of them directs the wind around you.

I am also 6'2" and the medium shield was just too tall and for the styling it made me feel like poncho from chips. With the low shield the wind does hit me between the shoulder/nose area depending on speed. on lake runs i have to snuggle down a bit but trail riding its more over my head more or less. Not under my helmet I guess to give you a better idea. I prefer it like that so I can keep cool. In our group we all ride pretty aggressively so i get pretty hot. I haven't ridden with my open face yet with it but it may be an issue with that if your aren't dressed right and making lake runs but trail riding it shouldn't be an issue.

Here are a few pictures of mine to give you an idea. Obviously thats not me on the sled. heh. Thats my daughter.....3 going on 18.

Attachments

• Picture 064.jpg
    Picture 064.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 82
  • Picture 067.jpg
    Picture 067.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 87
  • Picture 060.jpg
    Picture 060.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 94
  • Picture mod 061.jpg
    Picture mod 061.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 94
I can not see the Pics, ? why NOW I CAN SEE THEM, I have kids too, so leave them in there they are the best part!!!

But your description sounds like what I am looking for. I want to keep the wind off chest and hands and keep it from getting under my helmet like the 'Windkini or shark bite' stock GT sheild.

Is that right that is NOT COMING UP off your chest under your helmet - boy I hated that last year when below zero.

Thanks

Yamadoo

Yeah thats what i meant. It hits me right around chin line but not under to where it coming under my chin an at my neck. You'll definately notice a difference in it. I did especially seeing how i changed mine in the middle of the day.

This is the mid height from the 2007 catalog. It is about an inch higher and wider then the stock attak. The shape is better though and move the wind around and over you better.

Attachments

• P1010158.JPG
    P1010158.JPG
    428 KB · Views: 85
  • P1010014-1.JPG
    P1010014-1.JPG
    416.3 KB · Views: 103
06RTXASY
Sounds like you and I had the exact same feel and complaint with the 'windkini' and I will buy 1crazysledders sheild, I know just what you mean with the Chips reference - I don't want a full fairnig Goldwing look just get the air off my chest and out of my helmet.

Thanks for the help

Yamadoo

My aftermarket one is a hair higher then the stocker, (maybe 1 inch) but I'm going back to a stock shorty though. I was never cold last year, and prefer the looks of the stock one better

Attachments

• 2006_1105Image0001 (Medium).JPG
    2006_1105Image0001 (Medium).JPG
    58 KB · Views: 90
I was only really cold one time and it was bad, night, 10 below and for some reason the air was coming up off my chest into my helmet and my face was freezing and eyes watering.
Wow I though I had become an instant wimp, then my eyes almost froze shut and I knew i was getting serious windchill, this is with my shield down.

Throttle Jockey, get your conflict with Houghton cleared up yet? Love to ride with you there

Yamadoo

Good pics guys

Just by looking at some of these pics, It seems my handguard issue can be resolved with a low accessory windsheild.

Never seen that Sno-Stuff windy on a sled before, looks preety good!

yamadoo said:
I was only really cold one time and it was bad, night, 10 below and for some reason the air was coming up off my chest into my helmet and my face was freezing and eyes watering.
Wow I though I had become an instant wimp, then my eyes almost froze shut and I knew i was getting serious windchill, this is with my shield down.

Throttle Jockey, get your conflict with Houghton cleared up yet? Love to ride with you there

Yamadoo

Working on it, i might make it now :Rockon:

Back