• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Winning Nytros

Early Rider

Veteran
Team 8

Cains Quest 2008

Attachments

• Cains Quest 2008 Tina Pics 156.jpg
    Cains Quest 2008 Tina Pics 156.jpg
    475.1 KB · Views: 114

When and where was this race?? Also how many racers took part?? Glad to see the Nytro is turning heads now. I think if Ski Doo has another problem plagued year like last winter, then you'll see a whole bunch of guys riding new Nytro's

I think it's strange that it says that Rumbolt (team 8) was riding a VK PRO in the racer profiles but the pictures you posted are Nytros??

The real nice thing is they handed the 2nd place Team (DOO Summit 800s) their "rear bumpers" by an Hour and 10 min.... 1 HOUR and 10 Min... that is GREAT !!!!!

What no pictures of the Winners crossing the finish line (On the CQ website)???

06R

The Cains Quest web site is lacking to say the least use our site for pics and some more info.

Rumbolt and Efford did not notify Cains of the sled change in an attempt to throw the other race teams off.

There were 30 team this year only 28 started the race however,
we finished in 4th place in 2008 and 5th place in 2007.

You are correct the boys had a big lead, but this race is not the Iron Dog there is alot of GPS work that comes into play. There is no course you find your way any way you can. And Rumbolt owns 7 camps between the last lay over and the finish line. He is a good freind of mine and we both make the trips back and forth to Lab City to see each other. He and Efford took a big risk the last day and it paid off big when two of the top teams crashed at the same spot one hurt badly. This race is more about luck than skill, If you can ride and you have some luck you can do well.

We had 22 hours of down time in repair and fell to the rear of the feild made our way back up threw to 2nd place, only too run out of fuel 2000 feet from the last check point. we fell back to 6th and was able to finish 4th
a couple of mins out of second and seconds out of third place.

It is a great race it is growing so fast that it is hard to keep up. This is much more of a endurance race than the dog. In the dog the winning teams finish in about 48 hours run time with 48 hours of rest in between. In Cains Quest we run it in 64 hours ride time with 32 hours of rest. Dog runs 2000 miles in 48 hours about a 41mph moving average. Cains 1250 miles in 96 hours 13mph moving average. Kind of gives you an idea of what the terrain is like and with no tracks it's a ton of getting stuck and digging out. GPS skills at the highest levels is a must, outdoor camping at -36f takes a bit of skill as well

Hope that you gained a bit more about the race, feel free to ask any questions if you would like.

If your interested call Cains Quest or Todd Kent tell him Team Maine sent you

ER

If you guys go to our site and have any questions about the race or comments on how we can make our site better i would love to hear them.

Just a side note:
To date Team Maine Racing Inc. has raised over $6,000 dollars for Pine Tree Camps for Handicaped children here in Maine

ER

Not quite

No disrespect to the Quest, but until you've raced the Iron Dog you wouldn't say it is much more of an endurance race.
While the Quest is shorter and slower, The Dog is Longer and faster. 38 teams started and only 14 finished, that ought to tell you something about endurance.
The Quest has adopted many of the Iron Dog rules and regs. And the Dog has been going since 1984.
Both races have their challenges, but endurance is measured in the heart and soul of the racer.

Dog or Quest.......both are far and beyond what most of us will ever encounter or experience. I love reading all the sled and prep info you guys have shared.......the race stories and details are even better.

Agreed they are a different race for sure. Bad choice of words
I commend the Cains crew for having the insight to adopt the format from the Dog. The fact that the Dog has been run for so long helps as well, lots of info to draw from, the course has been explored for years.
They are a different race one is more about sled performance and going fast, the other is about picking your way threw untouched land in very remote areas. The check points are remote hunting cabins and such no villages. There is no air strips at the Cains check points its no mans land. I know that the Dog is remote but from the stories i've heard the check points are in small villages.
I was trying to shed some light on the terrain of the Quest. Not start a debate on which is harder. They are both tough- hard races in there different ways. One race you get an hour of rest for every hour you ride, the other you get an hour of rest for every two hours you ride.
The majority of teams in the Dog run shorty's that tells me there is a trail to follow, and I’m going to guess you aren't stuck to your arm pits very often or you would run longer sleds.

I plan to try and run the Dog this year and be the one of only two teams to ever do both. We had a team that finished third at the Dog at the Quest this year. Drop a line to Rex and Paul and get there take on the differences in these race’s it will surprise you. I know that to be completive in a long standing locals race such as the Dog is impossible especially 4800 miles from home, my only goal will be to finish and get a first hand experience of the Dog. I will not have my Cains partner either so that just adds to it

Check out Harveys check point pic 310 in our photo gallery, i've tried three times to upload it it keeps telling me "Trying to upload an empty file"

ER

I like reading about the Quest but I don't think it should be compared the Iron Dog. The Iron Dog truly tests a sled's cross county performance since it is running a trail that is partially made, partially broken, at high speed depending upon the weather conditions at the time. The Iron Dog trail allows a sled to run at high speed for days at a time on a trail that is similar to what the average snomachine user encounters on their own trail. Some times the Iron Dog trial is better but in recent years is has been worse with lack of snow,

You make my point
They can't be compared they are a diffrent race
The Dog is alot more about the sled than the Quest which is how this topic started i was trying to make that point.
They have some area's that are simillar 30 teams entered 13 finished for instance both have a 45% compleation rate

ER

Back