• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

XTX on trail

stamminen

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2008 Apex GT
Been searching trying to find the best answer to this thread but not having much luck.

I'm looking at either getting a LTX SE or XTX SE used but can't decide on the coupled vs uncoupled design. I'm coming off a Skidoo XRS where I mainly do on trail riding 80%+ but was going to make my next sled either a Renegade X or BCX. With the crazy colors from DOO I'm thinking i want to try something different.

Is the XTX just not a trail sled at all?

With the lower gearing are MPG suffered greatly?

Is high speed running something the XTX just doesn't like?

Ive put almost all trail miles (450) on my XTX and love it! Top speed so far has been 95 MPH. I love the transfer that this sled has and doesnt seem to affect the handling much.

I've got a XTX SE and I ride it on trails with no problem. Do a little adjusting to the suspension to get some more pressure on the ski's and you won't have an issue and I am a pretty agressive trail rider. Reason I got the XTX is because I like to go off trail to so it was better suited for me. If your strictly on trail rider I would probably go with the LTX.

I have an XTX and wish I would've got an LTX for trail riding and make due off trail in fields. I ride as much at home as I do on big trails so I notice a lot of nonsense having to loosen straps adjust mid shock to the top and have front shocks pumped up so you can steer in fields. Then tighten straps, set mid shock to about middle of threads n drop pressure on front so you can handle on trail. If you don't do that your having a workout steering in fields or your all over the trail with lack of ski pressure. I do really like the XTX around home and range from 13.5 - 16 mpg depending on how hard I run and how much powder I'm in. It's fun lifting skis too

Honestly I think you need to find a demo ride and try for yourself. Every thread started on this issue has conflicting reports stating opposing views and I really don't know if guys are embarrased to divulge their mistake for purchasing the XTX or do not ride as hard as others or have never ridden a sled that truly rails.

I have added different front shocks (Evol rc2) and run through all possible settings on the main and secondary tube pressures. changed the low and high speed bump rates as much as 8 clicks independantly. I changed carbides 2 times on the stock skis and changed to simmons flex skis and tried dual 4" carbides and now am running dual 8" carbides 32" total. I have pulled down and let out the limiter strap, loosened and tightened the front rear skid shock and tried from 150#'s to 100#'s in ther rear float.

I now have a sled that is a rocket from turn to turn (Turbo). Is ok in the turns depending on the snow type. But on hard packed groomed trails takes every ounce of energy I have to turn. When sitting still on hard snow I cannot even make the skis turn it has to be rolling. It still pushes on any type of snow but is manageable. I can ride 400 miles in a day on my Pro R 800 but am finished after 100 on this one.

As a counter perspective I have ridden YamahaTim's LTX several times. The steering input is less than 1/2 of mine. It is a crisp in the turns as my apex's were and has 0 push.

The ltx does not launch like the XTX but with the 2.86 pitch vs the 3.00 pitch of the XTX has the same # of paddles on the ground so a switch to a 1.6 track on the LTX makes them almost equal in the deeper stuff. A 141" only has 1-1/2" more of overall track on the ground than the 137" of the LTX.

When parked side by side the only noticeable diff between the 2 sleds is my mountain strap which eliminates mounting hard hand guards and makes viewing the dash pod impossible when sitting down. And makes the handle bar bag flex out of shape.

That all being said.... I love the transfer on mine at 190 hp and cannot wait to ride it at 230 is hp when I get it back tomorrow. I am hoping to work on the handling more this season but since it has spent more time in the shop than out riding (turbo install - 2 weeks, blown motor - 4 wks, Reverse failure and fuel pump upgrade 1 week) and now they are calling for 40s and rain next week this may be the end of the season I may not get that shot this year :o|

Mine has been great on trails. I put on Cat's dual staggered carbides and that took care of any darting. Top speed has been 85-87. Ski lift has not been a problem.

This:
Yamadog said:
and changed to simmons flex skis and now am running dual 8" carbides 32" total.
=
Yamadog said:
But on hard packed groomed trails takes every ounce of energy I have to turn. When sitting still on hard snow I cannot even make the skis turn it has to be rolling. It still pushes on any type of snow but is manageable.

That much carbide on what are essentially flat bottomed ski keels is going to result in massive amounts of effort to turn the bars.

Try some SLP Mohawks with 10" carbides... I might know a guy ;)

I changed the carbides to 6"Slim Jim Dooleys on mine and the difference has made this machine freak'in awesome !!

Today I ran with an Apex LTX on hard packed groomed twisty trails and he couldn't lose me. It was like night and day from a couple weeks ago when I could barely get the machine to turn. We were definitely running too fast on the trail but damn it was exciting. No darting whatsoever and now I can ride with one hand on the bar on straightaways.

I bought the XTX cuz I felt that about 40% of my riding was off the groomed trail and I wanted something that would perform in the deep snow. The XTX certainly has that conquered !! What has really surprised me the most is how dialed in this sled is now on the trail. Yes, my biceps hurt, but not from muscling the machine......it's from hanging on so tight from the low end torque. It feels like my arms are pulling out of the sockets !! From 0-70mph in a heartbeat and from corner to corner it was just as quick as the Apex I ran with. Top speed has been 95MPH.........saw 91 today but ran out of room. I'm at just over 1700 miles now.

Yes, it lifts the skis.....even at 60MPH. It will wheelie and catwalk under the right conditions from a dead stop. There is some inside ski lift coming out of the corners but it's all about timing and not over driving. Once you get a feel for it you're on the move. I'm not going into tight corners at 50 MPH cuz it's not necessary. It's so quick from corner to corner that you can ease it through the corner, find your apex, and with a little body english, let 'er rip on the way out.

I thought I might make some minor adjustments to the rear suspension, but after today's ride, I don't think I will touch a thing !!

I'm so pumped I can't wait for Saturday's ride. I hope I'm not getting to comfortable and cocky on this machine....that could lead to trouble. It's getting increasingly hard to rein myself in !!

P.S. Sorry Yamadog......they're calling for another foot of snow here for the next day and half. We should be riding right through to mid-April.

Head north young man !!!!!

Hey Freelance don't rub it in my sled was delayed again and now not getting it till omorrow. He misunderstood what I wanted and set the switch up for 9#'s of boost low setting and 11#'s on the high I could not hold on to it at 6#'s so I had it dropped to 6 and 9 for now.

Will get to ride fri sat and sunday and then see.

Back